• This topic has 251 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Jordan.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 252 total)
  • Cheap camper across Europe = disaster or adventure?
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

He’s going to see if he can get a 12v timer up and running, so that the box can cut in and out and rely much more on the insulation.
    It may work. It may not.

Just make sure the heat exchanger has good ventilation otherwise the insulation is counter productive

matt_outandabout

Just make sure the heat exchanger has good ventilation otherwise the insulation is counter productive

We’ve created two ‘tunnels’ in the insulated box. One draws in to the fan and one is the hotter exhaust fan. It’s not airtight, but it’s pretty good. We left the box cold two days ago in there and last night it was still cooler than the air temp in the box when we opened it…

matt_outandabout

We have to depart on our holidays now.

But he seems about there – some electrics to wire into the charger for phone/GoPro etc, finish lino lining the ‘boot’ and a bit more paint.

It’s SWB, high top Mk7 Transit. He can get an Enduro bike fully built in the back, with a summer of tools, helmets, awning and a couple of chairs.
    Inside he’s a near double bed, 20lt water, small kitchen area, PV and 120kwh battery, roof vent with extractor fan, coolbox in insulated cupboard. Rotating double seat and lights.

First stop in convoy with mates is Aosta, then back to France, Switzerland, Austria to meet his younger brother, back to France then volunteer at the TransSavoie to finish.

🤘

Tracey

Looks good 👍 well worth the effort.

We are in Aosta for a few days from 3rd July. In Lugano at the moment but it’s far too hot to ride.

Enjoy the holidays

towpathman

Looks great. IIRC your son is studying engineering at university? If so, make sure he puts this on his cv, whenever I’m interviewing graduates I’m always looking for examples of people who will get their hands dirty with some practical experience

RustyNissanPrairie

Looks good👍

He needs more Tennents than that!

northernmatt

This is awesome and something I wish I’d done. Me and mates at Uni had a plan but never put it into practice.

matt_outandabout

@Tracey – he’s there from 5th…

Tracey

Will keep an eye out.

matt_outandabout

A little update: he phoned from the top of StBernard pass at tea time last night. Seems the cheap van has stormed across Europe, is comfy and quiet.
    The only wobble was Swiss police/ customs decided to do a full search of the van when he stopped to buy his carnet – and objected to the Tenant’s…(!)
    Anyway, priorities means the riding starts today.

oldtennisshoes

and objected to the Tenant’s

Quite right too – you’d have to question anyone’s sanity who takes Tenants beer with them to Europe 😉

TheBrick
    Free Member

Looks awesome except for the shit beer.

matt_outandabout

shit beer.

I agree.
    Sadly he doesn’t.

Tracey

Glad he’s made it safe. We looked for the van yesterday but he probably hadn’t arrived and we left this morning
    When we travelled through Switzerland last week they just waved us through. Never offered us the badge

The supermarket at side of the lift station sells loads of beers as well as anything else you may need. Only went in for some plasters and came out with a back pack full of goodies

myti
    Free Member

Awesome! I spent 3 or 4 nights camped at the top of that pass in Aug 2020. Some amazing hikes and dips in lakes.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Things like this seem to excite me more than any pros adventures. DIY, bootstrapped and working it as you go along.

I am waiting for my mate to do his midlife crisis trip next year and will definitely fly out and join him for a bit. I think there is a business there. People flying out for a week of hosted #vanlife ™!

squirrelking
    Free Member

He needs more Tennents than that!

you’d have to question anyone’s sanity who takes Tenants beer with them to Europe

This. Give them their due it’s the best of a bad bunch and they are rather skillful replicators but there really is no excuse for taking that shit abroad unless he was planning on swapping it (foreigners love it for some **** up reason)

stevie750

I went into a bar in Switzerland years ago and they had tenents super in bottles in the fridge beside all the fancy beers

matt_outandabout

He’s having fun. Needs to sort his brakes (again)…

weeksy

thumbs up emoji 🙂

Tracey

Looks like he’s having a good time. Its a great trail from top to bottom with a bit of everything thrown in.
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/col-croce/ is good up the other side, its a long climb to get to it but worth it

matt_outandabout

The van is doing great.
    He however has busted a finger – a crash in Tignes has seen his tendon rip a chunk of bone off his finger. 6 weeks off the bike…

If you see a depressed son of mine with bandaged hand in Morzine for next few days, give him a hug for me…

Tracey

Oh no, that’s not good. Are they allowing him to drive. Its going to be hard keeping of the bike for that long. Any chance he can line some casual work up to keep him occupied

matt_outandabout

Yeah he can drive, just no riding.
    Plan is to turn to feet and the mountains…

Tracey

Always good to have a plan B

FB-ATB

I did that to my fibula in Morzine- seems odd that the tendon can pull a bit of bone off rather than just become unattached.

stumpy01

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. He must be very frustrated!

My Wife did the same thing playing netball about 8 months or so ago – tendon tore some bone off. Bleurgh.

RustyNissanPrairie

Gutted for him, more importantly – how are his Tennents levels?

matt_outandabout

how are his Tennents levels?

After a few late afternoon swims in various lakes and waterfalls, I understand he may be drinking local supplies now…

matt_outandabout

Looks like an early end to the summer. 😞

He just can’t ride, and walking is just not as sociable as biking and climbing…all his friends return home today, leaving him on his own.
    His youngest brother flies out on Wednesday to Munich, and they’re now planning a week of walking in Austria, perhaps German Alps. Then meander back together through Germany, Belgium and north France.

He’s hoping a really good rest will see him able to volunteer again at the Trans Savoie at end of August…

weeksy

Awwww that’s a shame mate… a bit of a sad ending to an almost epic adventure… but i can completely understand why.

Tracey

Probably not what he wanted from the summer but realistically the best outcome.

Rather than looking for a two berth caravan why not take advantage of the camper. 😉

matt_outandabout

It never rains, it pours…!

Youngest arrived out there, they had a lovely morning swimming in a lake and planning some walks.

Then the phonecall – all the friends he had been with last week have Covid. As does eldest. Likely youngest will get as they shared a van / bed for the night.

Cue a few hours of agonising over staying for a week-10 days or running for home… Neither is a ‘right’ decision.

They will be the two resolutely on the far corner of the ferry home today, trying to avoid anyone. Youngest, currently not positive, is the only one leaving the van for fuel or food stops…

oldtennisshoes

That’s rubbish, would they not be better just sitting tight?
    Edit – sorry, just re read and saw that decision was agonised over 🙁

matt_outandabout

Thier worry was that if both get it, how do they shop for food (they only have small coolbox/not much space) and if either gets properly ill it could spiral – youngest is under 18, provisional license and not insured etc etc. They felt it more risk to stay than run.
    They stayed at an Belgian Aire/park last night and met no-one. They plan to sit in van on ferry until car deck is clear and head for deck asap, and again try to get to van before anyone else at the end. Youngest is filling then with fuel and food, masks on and stay away…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Man, that’s pish! What a rotten end, hopefully he recovers quickly and can get back on the road before the end of summer.

matt_outandabout

Well, it does not end. Three are road tripping back out to Bourg St Maurice on Tuesday with bikes and timing kit for the Trans Savoie, and a few days back in Morzine Les Gets.

And, he is selling the wagon…! He will now have access to other vehicles in his house – and plans for next summer have moved on from Spain or Norway to Canada land.

Anyone want a bike focussed camper van? 🤣

Tracey

No chance you could use it.

matt_outandabout

No chance you could use it.

While it is tempting, we have two in uni this year to support and every penny is going to count. 🙁

matt_outandabout

Well, the wagon has been back again to France & Switzerland and is now on its way home. So two journeys to the Alps, 9 countries, 5+ weeks of accommodation for him. He has not used the awning once, preferring to move on each night or just being parked on various acquaintances driveways. Apparently it is filthy inside and out currently(!).

He has a knocking bushing and a small bit of rust work to do – but (famous last words) it has been mechanically spot on.

Not bad for a £4.5k/13yr old/100k mile wagon.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 252 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.