Home Forums Bike Forum Cheap alternative to Mic Off or Juice Lubes frame spray.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cheap alternative to Mic Off or Juice Lubes frame spray.
  • oldfart

Much as it pains me to say but getting some of this snake oil in bundles I’ve found it certainly keeps the frame cleaner for longer , mud doesn’t stick as well makes cleaning easier?

Anyway will any old silicone spray from Halfords etc do the same job for a lot less cash? One description said it wasn’t suitable for that job it’s just a lube for sticky hinges etc

oldfart

Or even Muc Off !

twistedpencil

GT85 but it’s not great for the environment so once I’m through with my last few cans I’ll be going to Peatys products. Already using the degreaser and it’s great.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Muck off, swap it for any old non-caustic traffic film remover or degreaser.

Frame protector, spray some silicone oil on a rag and wipe the frame down with it.

Alternatively any hard wax car wax (or if you’re feeling flush, a ceramic version) will last longer. But don’t then use muckoff or degreaser on it or it’ll just strip it off again which is why muck off can sell you a bottle of each as a bundle.

I give my frames a coat of wax and use hot-wax for the chain so there’s nothing to degrease or clean anyway and if it’s filthy it just needs car shampoo not anything aggressive.

hooli

A mate of mine uses household furniture polish on his frame, it does seem to keep it cleaner than the rest of our group when riding in the same slop and he maintains it is a lot easier to wash as the mud doesn’t stick to the frame.

nwgiles

I invested in Gtechniq ceramic sealant, apply once every two years it says, I am 18months in and still works.

this achieves the same end result, I did mine when I stripped the frame to replace the bearings

ogden
    Free Member

Not sure it works out cheaper but Autoglym Rapid Ceramic Spray ?

alpin
    Free Member

Not sure if the ease of cleaning your bike outweighs the environmental impact of depositing chemicals everywhere you ride.

devash
    Free Member

OP, you mean post-wash stuff like Muc-Off’s Silicon Shine or Bike Protect?

Silicon Shine is just rebadged silicon car dashboard polish that you can pick that up for around 4 quid per 500ml. I find WD-40 silicon spray and the like is too thick and oily to use as a bike polish.

Bike Protect has light oil in it and is basically GT-85, but costs double the price.

kayak23

A mate of mine uses household furniture polish on his frame, it does seem to keep it cleaner than the rest of our group

I hope he uses a coaster when he puts his water bottle down.

Speeder

Just make sure you keep it away from your brakes. ;o)

hooli

That is actually why I haven’t tried it, that and I am lazy and don’t want a clean bike that badly ;-)

bensales
    Free Member

Spray it on a rag then wipe it on the bike.

failedengineer

Scottoiler FS365.  A bit cheaper.  The original and best?

zerocool

It’s just silicone spray. You can buy it anywhere. None of that money will go back into the bike industry, but you can buy generic spray anywhere.

sharkattack

I’ve never thought of putting hard car wax on my bike but I do have some sitting in the garage doing nothing. I’ll give it a try next time I have the bike stripped down.

I kind of wish I did it 2 days ago when I had a naked frame ready to build.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I use Turtle wax hydrophobic spray that normally gets used on the car. Often on offer at ECP.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Are many in this thread aware of forever chemicals? Considering you ride in the countryside (or anywhere for that matter) there are some appalling suggestions on ‘what to stop mud sticking to a bike’ here.

whyterider93
    Free Member

I just use a cheap 5l tub of car shampoo to clean my bikes – wash & wax style. Seems to keep the mud off on the subsequent ride

Northwind

I’ve not found anything else that works exactly like the mucoff frame spray, it’s not just a standard silicon spray. GT85 gets fairly close though

maybe some sort of ceramic coat? I know there’s bike-specific ones that are hilariously expensive but something car related might do the job, it makes a huge difference on the road.

zerocool

It’s just mud, better to wash or brush your bike clean than help poison nature.

sturmeyarcher

These products are awful for the environment. They wash off into the rivers, ground water & soil, staying there for a very long time. Especially anything with PTFE/teflon, it’s cancerous and lasts forever. They may be described as biodegradable, but can legally carry that label with only 75% biodegradable ingredients.

Have a muckier bike, or put a bit more elbow grease in. Green Oil make very effective products that are properly biodegradable.

Thank you :-)

jamesy01
    Free Member

Do these products have to be used on bare frames or are they suitable for Invisframe and the like?

andylc
    Free Member

Invisiframe make their own spray which supposedly will help with the coating and with any other parts of the frame. I’ve ordered some with an order for a new bike so will see how it works – wasn’t cheap though!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.