Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Cheap 40T Expander Cog Thingy.
  • crankrider
    Free Member

Just a heads up to other STWers as a previous customer Works have a discount code for 20% off everything, I dont really need anything as such but they just listed their 40T expander cog thing at a cheap enough £36 which goes under £30 with the discount 🙂

Just ordered one myself for that money, will have to wait till the 19th but I am not in a rush(though winter fitness says otherwise..) was that or the Superstar one but i am a bit of a Works fanboy so why not…

oh yea, code is: thankyou

JohnnyPanic

Ordered, thanks 🙂

williamnot
    Free Member

Cheers for that. got the expander and a NW chainring for 53 quid

lightman
    Free Member

For those on a budget or who want to try a 40 & 42t without the cost of buying two cogs, I have just gone for this at £12.50 delivered adaptor of an stw member.
    He has sold quite a few on ebay and everyone seems very happy with theirs.

paul123
    Free Member

It seems they don’t come with a smaller cog to smooth out the ratios when you remove the 17 tooth cog, does that not give you a big jump in ratios?

nickdavies

^ I think general consensus is that they aren’t much cop anyway – my one up 16t slips.
    Supposedly genuine shimano ones are better if you can find one.

crankrider
    Free Member

I may get rid of the 11t and use a smaller lockring with mine, dont use the 11t really anyway….

It seems 16T rings that work are pretty rare.

That chainring adapter thing isnt my bag – lots of faff to save £15.00 and it probably wont work as well either.

warpcow
    Free Member

iffoverload
    Free Member

losing the 11t and fitting an expander will make things heavier and you will not have a wider range, using a smaller front might be a better idea if you do not need the high gear 😉

edit currently testing a 10speed setup with a 40t hope/XT and 16T, prefer my home made 11-40 9 speed setup with the adaptor in terms of ratios and shifting, did spend some time faffing with it though TBH – but not much more than with the expander cog! 😆

kimbers

superstar showed a PIC of their new expander on their fb page today

crankrider
    Free Member

Even with this Works and the SS one being cheaper than the rest, the cost still adds up when you purchase the cassette.

When will Shimano just make a 11-40T SLX / XT cassette and end this nonsense of silly botched systems?

chickenman

The familiar misunderstanding about gear ratios cropping up again. I wonder how many folk have fitted 40 or 42t range expanders thinking 36 to 40, that’s a massive gain; 11 to 12, that’s a tiny step.
    If you get your calculator out and use the Divide function rather than the Subtract (ratios involve dividing)you will find they are almost the same!!!
    So, fitting a range expander (weight, cost, suspect shifting etc)and taking off the 11 will give you no range expansion just the same effect as using a smaller chainring.

iffoverload
    Free Member

an 8 speed wide range system would be lighter and more suited to most peoples riding I think,

Personally have no use for 11 gears that are really close together on stuff I like to ride.

crankrider
    Free Member

The familiar misunderstanding about gear ratios cropping up again. I wonder how many folk have fitted 40 or 42t range expanders thinking 36 to 40, that’s a massive gain; 11 to 12, that’s a tiny step.
    If you get your calculator out and use the Divide function rather than the Subtract (ratios involve dividing)you will find they are almost the same!!!
    So, fitting a range expander (weight, cost, suspect shifting etc)and taking off the 11 will give you no range expansion just the same effect as using a smaller chainring

I would say many buyers of these cogs are not looking to extend the range of gearing in that manner but are more looking to provide themselves with gearing suitable for slogging up a hill when using 1×10 which with most 4 bolt chainsets you are limited to a 30T ring making 29ers, long climbs and fatties like me struggle.

kimbers

Chickenman, no one removes the 11t, usually one in the middle, one up even give you a free 16t so you can swap out the 15 and 17t ones for it

bigjim

Anyone received anything yet?

thursdayshirts
    Free Member

Theyre not getting released /dispatched until the 19th. Apparently it was on the page when we ordered. I missed it too, but emailed them and they got back with that.

bigjim

ah cool, ta

Mbnut
    Free Member

AbsoluteBlack have a lockring type set up so that the 11T can be removed. Quite a good idea if you never find yourself using it, I have found it often skips anyway.

16T 9 speed cogs work ok, I get them from Rose Bikes.

warpcow
    Free Member

the 11T can be removed. Quite a good idea if you never find yourself using it, I have found it often skips anyway.

You have often set up your gears poorly.

Rubber_Buccaneer

AbsoluteBlack have a lockring type set up so that the 11T can be removed

Read chickenmans post then explain to me the point of removing the 11 please.

bigjim

Anyone got anything yet? Still waiting here.

Andy-R

Mine was marked as “dispatched” yesterday so I’m expecting it tomorrow.

Andy-R

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member
    AbsoluteBlack have a lockring type set up so that the 11T can be removed
    Read chickenmans post then explain to me the point of removing the 11 please.

If you want lower gearing but can’t go smaller than a 30T chainring perhaps?

bigjim

I didn’t think of checking my order status, Derp.

williamnot
    Free Member

Anyone got anything yet? Still waiting here.

I got a despatch e-mail yesterday so should arrive soon.

kayla1
    Free Member

There was a crazy system that had a second(!) front ring, sometimes as small as 22t which meant you could use a 34 or 36 chainring and have enough ratios to get up or down most things. You needed what was known as a ‘front mech’ and a ‘front shifter’ as well though. I think some people still use it.

kimbers

Yeah bit it added a pound in weight, was an extra place for mud to catch and looked a bit shit, glad they’ve been consigned to the dustbin of outdated bike technology

matther01
    Free Member

You can pick up shimano road 16t cogs for £4. They’ve worked fine on my XT cassette/expander set up

JohnnyPanic

Mine arrived yesterday – comes with a longer B screw too.
    Looks OK.
    Won’t be fitting it just yet.
    I’ve gone from 2×9 with a 36t front 34t rear to a 1×10 with a 34t front & 36t rear. Want to try just riding that around for a bit before I decide whether to fit the 40t.

Andy-R

Andy R – Member
    Mine was marked as “dispatched” yesterday so I’m expecting it tomorrow.

Yep, arrived today – I’ll fit it tomorrow.

Andy-R

Fitted today, working perfectly with one of those 9 speed 16T sprockets and didn’t need the longer B screw.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Cheap 40T Expander Cog Thingy.’ is closed to new replies.