Home Forums Chat Forum Chasing a Job Directly

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Chasing a Job Directly
  • moff

Was in conversation via an agent about a job, had an interview everything was positive and contracts were starting to be discussed.

The key person in the new company dealing with contracts was initially overseas, then ill so there was a delay which dragged on. As a result of the illness the company realised that they had a large hole in their skill set (SME so, multiple hats for, multiple people), so they decided that they need another person with very similar skills as to help back this gap up and indefinitely delayed the process for the role I was interviewed for.

Would I be bad form/bad idea to approach the company directly to ask if this role is likely to open up again soon? It’s been over 6 months now and I’ve got the itch to move on.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Shy bairns get nowt.

What do you have to lose by asking?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Edit: weird double post

If the agent hasn’t got a result in six months then they’ve had their chance and you owe them nothing.

Cougar

I’ve seen this a few times.  Most recently, I’d been given the job, then further up the food chain someone realised they could hire someone from Eastern Europe for half the salary because it was a remote position.  I’m currently out of work and jobseeking.

I would respectfully suggest that it is a mistake to hang your hat onto one role if you’re looking to jump ship.  Look elsewhere.

coconut
    Free Member

Go for it, as per the Panthers advice.

bensales
    Free Member

Not going to do any harm going direct. However, the company may not be responsive. Recruitment agents have contracts just like estate agents that say if they introduce someone, they get their fee.

moff

Not heart set on this one roll, just fits well. In a sector I know well, with the right kind of role and work.

Also not looking to cut the recruiter out, more trying to get a feel/idea if it’s still a viable option.

martinhutch

Is this a senior position on a new space weapon project? If so, the emperor probably already knows that you’re interested, he’s very intuitive like that.

matt_outandabout

I would welcome someone approaching our SME/charity direct.

FB-ATB

No issues with a direct approach but if the initial contact was via an agency they’ll want their cut.

I think after 6 months it’s a no and some of the excuses were to keep you warm while negotiations were ongoing with preferred candidate.

Think how an approach may look- “Hi remember me from 6 months ago? Is that job still on?” They’ll be wondering why a candidate hasn’t got a job in the meantime.

Would you want to go somewhere that has only recently spotted a skills gap and hasn’t sorted it in 6 months? If you ended up there and staff left, would you be carrying extra responsibility while they filled the position?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.