Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Chased by a big dog!
  • russ295
    Free Member

Heading home through a dene not far from my house about 9:30 in the dark tonight.
    A bull mastiff took off after me. Never noticed it at first but heard it behind me, chased me for about 100 yards then onto a main road for another 100 yards before it gave up, I was lucky as I was heading towards a hill and don’t think I could of out run it.
    Strange as it didn’t growl or bark and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t after a stroke or a cuddle.
    Pretty scary as it goes!

5thElefant
    Free Member

I get that occasionally. I just shout encouragement and stop to given them a pat if I have to slow down.

Dogs like a run.

soobalias
    Free Member

some dogs love to chase things

i would have probably stopped to say hello, but you have to judge the behavior of each individually.

just cos your route plan was to go up the hill, doesnt mean you have to keep going that way if you are in trouble.

takisawa2

I had two farm dogs chase me once.
    They certainly didn’t want a cuddle.
    Neither did the **** farmer who stood laughing as they pinned me against a wall.
    Straw sucking prat.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Dog might have wanted you to throw it’s ball or it might have wanted to chew on your knackers. You’ve not really any way of telling until it catches you. This is the bit that dog owners don’t always seem to get, your dog might be a lovely fluffy, soppy thing but not everyone knows.

Stoner
    Free Member

It probably wasnt a big dog. Just a little dog really close up.

russ295
    Free Member

It was big bull mastiff and I wasn’t stopping to check if it was in a bad mood!
    Another 50 yards and it would have had me!

simmy
    Free Member

I went to one of my local routes which involves going straight through a Farm Yard, well I’d not seen the old Rottie for a while and thought he had either Died or been taken inside,

The Farmers wife was talking to a guy in a car and I went round with a cheery “morning” only to stop dead with the Rottie looking straight at me.

I love and have 3 Dogs but this lad scares me so I just looked at him and he looked at me then came up and rubbed against my shorts. All he wanted was a stroke but I never thought that just thought he was going to eat me.

Another Dog at one of the other farms is a right little ankle biter so I get speed up and do a impression of Cav and up me Strava 😆

Not too bad when you are expecting a chase, but always a worry when it comes out of the blue.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

love dogs but even i would be scared of a bullmastif
    40 kg labradoodle in this house, looks like a black wolfhound. loves to go after bikes cos he comes out when we ride and absolutely loves to run downhill tracks…….has shit a few guys up in my local woods but he has this kind of stupid frendly expression so once they stop and see him grinning they usually just laugh at him.

edit; i would add though. he walks perfectly to heel and wont chase bikes or cats or anything unless we are in the woods where he is allowed to run free

irc

I used to work nightshifts and regularly visited the night watchman at local premises. There was a huge unfriendly Alsatian kept on a long chain outside the door. To attract the attention of the watchman I would walk over the carpark to a point where the dog charged towards me snarling and barking until it’s chain stopped suddenly it 20 feet away. Then the watchman heard the noise and came out and pulled it away. Until the night when it had been fitted with a longer chain and just kept coming ……

I don’t know whether the dog or me was more suprised when the chain didn’t stop it. Luckily it’s bark was worse than it’s bite. It went for my leg but in a pretty half hearted manner and I could step back 6 feet to be beyond range.

surfer
    Free Member

We used to do our long runs out through a lot of quiet lanes with a number of farms along the way. The first time I went with this group I was surprised when the pace really picked up with still a good 10 miles to go. I mean a really good 5min to 5:30 miling!
    I soon realised as I was at the back of the group and a crazed alsation came flying out of a gate after us. He gave chase then gave up but I think he was a “biter” as oppose to a “barker”
    I soon learned and it was a quick lesson for new recruits!!

You dont have to outrun the dog just not be the slowest runner!

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

It’s best not to get caught by the dog.

This was from a Staffordshire Bull Terrier type dog.

5 months on and it’s still quite badly scarred.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Regularly get chased at by farm dogs where they think its okay for them to roam free around their property when footpaths etc run through it. Lost count of the amount of times Ziva has been bitten by them as she looks at me with confusion over what shes done wrong. I would say I wish for once she’d tell them to sod off being as shes 40kgs herself n all muslce but then she wouldnt be the dog she is. I dont bother going out in the countryside now unless i can be sure we wont pass right by a farm with dogs. Never ever allow her to chase bikes etc but then as much as she loves biking, she only loves it when its someone she knows otherwise she couldnt care less!

GolfChick
    Free Member

In fact a footpath once ran right through someones back yard with a ‘dog running free’ sign which doesnt bother me im very happy around dogs. What the sign didnt advertise was rottweilers that bite and i got bitten by both dogs on the back of each leg. But apparently ‘they dont usually bite’!!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cue gormless dog owners saying “he’s just being friendly” and “Im sorry, he doesn’t usually bite”.
    At the risk of becoming TJ, unless a dog is under close control and can be called to heel, it should be on a short lead in public areas.

Whenever I see a dog I’ll always slow down as I don’t want to spook it, but unless the dog is painted bright red wearing a sign saying “I bite” I have no way of knowing whether its friendly or not. I certainly don’t see why I should have to stop to introduce myself to some random dog like some on here suggest.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Whenever I see a dog I’ll always slow down as I don’t want to spook it, but unless the dog is painted bright red wearing a sign saying “I bite” I have no way of knowing whether its friendly or not. I certainly don’t see why I should have to stop to introduce myself to some random dog like some on here suggest

I agree. Only problem is when they come at you from behind!

bigyinn
    Free Member

RooleyMoor, yes there’s not much you can do about that. Usually that prompts a “he’s only playing”.

Perhaps we could list a selection of bullshit bingo phrases for selfish dog owners?

Nobby

Being chased by a big scary dog is the way I discovered my actual MHR 😉

That aside, I did get attacked by a Doberman a few years back & still have the scarring on the back of my calf. The last thing the owner said was “don’t worry, she doesn’t bite”. It ran towards me, straight past then u-turned & nailed me from the back.

Since then, I have had issues with big, seemingly angry dogs and on one ride ended with a snarly lab/German shepherd cross trying to get through my frame at me (imagine using a bike like a lion tamer’s chair). The owner just stood watching until I took my seat/seat post off & threatened the dog with it – apparently he was only playing but the teeth marks in the bike’s paint told me otherwise :-/

Pigface
    Free Member

On my trip in the states a few years back cycling past this shady looking property, this enormous dogthing explodes out of its kennel and comes tearing across the yard towards the open gate and me, it reaches the end of its chain (that I didnt see) and manages to do a back flip it stopped itself so hard. It then launched itself at the gate again with the same results. By this time I was out of the saddle and would of got past Cavendish, the BoB was bouncing around and bits shaking loose.

At the end of the day when I hooked up with Bruce and Sue the first thig they said was “Did you see that dog” only time I have been scared of a dog in a long time.

DrJ

wont chase bikes or cats or anything unless we are in the woods where he is allowed to run free

Well, that’s Ok then – obviously bikers in the woods are fair game to be chased by a dog.

Idiot.

dave360

got chased by a Rottweiler once. I squirted it full in the face with my water bottle, but it seemed to like it and then I couldn’t get rid of the **** thing.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Bigyinn, absolutely.. No owner in sight.

Reported it to the police later and they couldn’t do anything as there wasn’t an owner.

‘Did you have a look at the collar?’

Yeah right, it was the first thing on my mind when the dog was hanging off my arm!

russ295
    Free Member

The owner was there, not that I heard him try and call it back. It was pitch black and only saw it at the side of a path when I was very close. Looked back as I heard its feet on the pavement and thought f*** this I’m off!

glupton1976
    Free Member

has shit a few guys up in my local woods

This is why I hate the majority of dog owners.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Only the other day I watched some woman cover up the runny turd left by her puppy on the beach with a couple of large stones. This is a busy sandy tourist beach in the summer with lots of kids playing on it. I can only hope the tide came in and washed the shit away before some unlucky kid picked up the shit covered stones.
    FFS. Your dog, your responsibility to clean up its filth.

mintsauce5
    Free Member

looking at this from both sides being a biker and a dog owner , my own personal experiences are that there are some right tw**s of dog owners out there mostly the ones who try to tell me their dog only wants to play whilst it snaps and snarls at my lab , on the other side of the coin there’s some right miserable tw**s on bikes , who never speak , just come blasting past you when on a path with the dog/kids or you actually see or hear them coming and stand aside , worst of all the kind who won’t even acknowledge you when your on a bike …miserable fuc*ers….lol 😀

6079smithw
    Free Member

Dogs

If you ask me, they have no business living amongst us.

anagallis_arvensis

Well I’m 39 years young and never been bitten by a dog or chased much in fact never chased at all in this country that I recall. Those farm collies aint tough stop and tell em to **** off! Some dog owners are **** numpties though. Putting poo in bags and then hanging it up has got to be the weirdest thing people do. I just cannot imagine why. Still takes all sorts my dog has been attacked by off lead children a couole of times. One jumped out of a buggy as we walked past and grabbed the dog pinching her theparents didnt do a thing!!

I have to admit from my youthful farming days laughing at people running across the field with a footpath being chased by hungry cattle!

6079smithw
    Free Member

Well I’m 39 years young and never been bitten by a dog or chased much in fact never chased at all in this country that I recall.

WELL TONIGHT THANK GOD IT’S THEM INSTEAD OF YOU

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Kicked a dog in the face once.

Never lived it down.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Chased by a big dog!’ is closed to new replies.