Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Chapeau to the people of Cumbria
  • lemonysam
    Free Member

ToB crowds atop Honister in the pissing rain.

https://twitter.com/nickbull21/status/379597271517495296/photo/1

Pyro

I think my dad was in amongst that lot. Awesome 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

Seems a bit:

wwaswas

Dutch Corner, it’s not.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Watching it on ITV live I agree, a good showing in foul conditions!

wwaswas

This is the crowd coming out of Keswick;

(pic @joolzephoto )

Andy_K

It’s like a saturday afternoon in Keswick! I settled on Whitehaven, as I not that keen…

zippykona

Would mud guards slow them down that much?

jekkyl

Aaahh Britain, gotta love it. I did consider taking the day off to do the borrowdale bash and watch them whizz past, haha.

honeybadgerx

We were really lucky at Drumlanrig yesterday, drove there in torrential rain, suited up in full waterproofs, down, the lot, then stood and boiled in the bag in the sunshine! Would have been good to watch some of the climbs today, darn work getting in the way.

justinbieber

Just got back from being at the top of Honister.

Utterly mental & brilliant atmosphere, & totally shocking weather.

Wiggins cruised up it, looking like he was out on a leisurely jaunt, not in the middle of a race.

Also saw Quintana in Carlisle before the start – bloody hell he’s tiny! Like properly, properly tiny!

crazy-legs

On my way home now from the finish in Kendal. Couldn’t move on Beast Banks, crowds were huge! Should have heard the roar for Wiggins & Cav. It was still rammed in the town centre 20 mins later. Really good atmosphere.

fasgadh
    Free Member

Blimey – that could turn the hills “into a morgue”. Did they call it off?

cdaimers

Even the second sprint finish at dearham was 3 deep along the whole length of the street….

It was a typical day in cumbria….

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve been in Kendal, the Rain was annoying but the Town Hall had the Race on a big screen in a room that was like a theatre so just watched in there for a bit.

The final stretch upto the finish was a lot steeper than it looked on TV, I drove up it last night and didn’t realise it was the final stretch.

Like has been said, Quintana really is tiny, signing autographs, saw Cav, Sir Brad and Sir Dave. Bernie Eisel came out of the Deathstar and had photos took with the kids who were there, seems like a top guy.

A Cannondale car had a Orica Green Edge type moment when he got stuck pulling over onto a Grass Verge and tried reversing off only to get a Bike on his Roofrack hooked up on the mirror of the United Healthcare bus, and managed to pull the rear of the Bike off the rack 😯 bet he doesn’t mention that over Dinner.

Felt sorry for some of the teams like Raleigh and the MTN thingy team who had Max and Paddy style caravanettes compared to the Buses of Sky, OPQS, Movistar etc.

yunki
    Free Member

That must have been a **** terrifying sight for the riders…

The legions of the damned amassed their ranks on a bleak and windswept hilltop, moaning northern gibberish into the teeth of the gale as they awaited the ill-fated peloton

It’s like **** Steven King high on ale and whippet sweat..

I’m surprised they didn’t turn tail and flee

hjghg5
    Free Member

I was on honister 🙂 (and on lime kiln edge on sunday in similarly grim weather). Loved it 🙂

Pyro

whippet sweat..

Which county do you think they were in? Whippets are from further south than Cumbria… 😐

I won’t argue about the ale, though.

landcruiser
    Free Member

😆 @ yunki

postierich
    Free Member

On the finish Line @ Kendal with my daughter near the big screen, great afternoons entertainment bit late getting to the Skybus for autographs, not many freebies given out whilst be stood on the side lines 🙁
    PS was waving the big St George flag in Postie waterproofs @ the end

20130915_171805[1] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

jam-bo

That must have been a **** terrifying sight for the riders…
    The legions of the damned amassed their ranks on a bleak and windswept hilltop, moaning northern gibberish into the teeth of the gale as they awaited the ill-fated peloton
    It’s like **** Steven King high on ale and whippet sweat..
    I’m surprised they didn’t turn tail and flee
    POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I can’t see hay tor on Friday being much better…

khani
    Free Member

It looks a lot more civilised than someone running alongside the riders wearing a yellow mankini and waving an inflatable banana…

boxelder

Glupton – that’ll be Yorkshire/lancs. We’re pure (in)bred in Cumberland. Hardened from keeping those pesky Scotch folk at bay for centuries.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Chapeau to the people of Cumbria’ is closed to new replies.