Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Channel 4 news – another soldier shooting a dog … P**s me off big time.
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

It would indeed…

It's 26. Not that I really care. Anyway, the point is they're all the Lebanese dogs that the protagonist shot during the 1982 war. 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Aha.
    I just watched the first bit on youtube, but with the sound off, so wasn't too sure what the dogs were about. That's not to say I would have been wiser with the sound 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

—- on a bike steamed past me and the dog yesterday – on a dirt track closed to vehicles. Dog about three metres ahead of me, pootling about. It was windy as hell, so didn't hear him approach from behind.

He shot past me and I shouted my dog's name – dog turned round and just had time to skip out of the way – very nearly got flattened.

I shouted some random abuse at the guy along the lines of; "You are allowed to shout and warn people" or something equally lame but no acknowledgement.

Wouldn't have minded a warning shot from an SA80 (or whatever they're using these days).

molgrips
    Free Member

But what constitutes 'considerate' seems less important on this forum than what constitutes 'my rights'.

Not just on here, but any time when the average person is ranting about a disembodied 'other' person. Face to face people are much nicer. Which I think is pretty weak to be honest. Think about what you say/write even when the person you're denigrating isn't there or is merely hyopthetical.

Issues, much?

That was an attempt at humour!

But in any case we all agree it's a two-way streak, and we need to post on forums like we believe it 🙂

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Think about what you say/write even when the person you're denigrating isn't there or is merely hyopthetical.

Fair comment, point taken 🙂

But in any case we all agree it's a two-way streak, and we need to post on forums like we believe it

🙂

Back to work…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Taliban are undoubtedly bad by our standards, however they are loyal. Loyalty means not switching sides.

Hehe I would say the complete opposite 🙂

Switching sides is a national pastime in Afghanistsn.

What we call the "Taliban" is actually a multitude of loose groups which have constantly shifting loyalties. When the Taliban swept to power in the 1990s it was not so much as the result of impressive military victories, the 'true' Taliban were very much what their name implies – students – mostly young, inexperienced, and driven by religious zeal (and Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence money)

The way they achieved power was mostly through doing deals and buying the loyalties of various groups and warlords. With every new deal they controlled a bit more territory, and as their power grew it became more rapid as more and more groups and warlords became tempted to switch sides and align themselves with them.

The bandits, smugglers, and drug dealers, which represent the bulk of the armed groups in Afghanistan (and have done so for decades), have always been prepared to switch sides if they feel it is in their interests to do so. Something which Western countries exploited hugely in the eighties, and are again now considering as a "solution" to this unwinnable war.

The only groups within the Afghan Mujahideen which are incorruptible, won't do deals, and can't be bought imo, are the Arab volunteers which we now call Al Qaeda. They are also by far the best fighters, and their fierce determination and impressive tenacity provided the front line troops for the original Taliban which was made up largely of frighten young students.

I don't believe however, that the Taliban even in government, were ever able to control them. Which made the Nato demand that Mullah Omar hand over Osama bin Laden as a precondition for not invading Afghanistan in 2001, totally unrealistic – as well they knew.

IMHO

sofatester – Member

So, are we saying its Ok to shoot dogs? Or are people the preferred option? This thread has gone on so long i've lost track

Yes, I think this thorny question has been mostly ignore. As far as I'm concerned whilst I like war as much as the next person, I really draw the line at shooting animals.

binners

All dogs should be shot. End of story!

sherry
    Free Member

binners, better hide your wife then!

Woody
    Free Member

Surely some of you have been on here or CF long enough to know that Chewy isn't a troll and his 'interesting' viewpoints are usually hilarious. BTW his english is pretty good for a 'geordie' originally from East Timor (or somewhere around there) 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

I can sleep well if the dog is not hurt otherwise this sort of action pisses me off big time.

1 dog life is worth thousand times that of the Talib(meaning pupil btw). Yes, I know you are saying Talib is human with brain etc but get this … they are the ones with AK47, RPG and IED.

🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

but get this …

Bollox 😐 …….. I see what you mean now

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Channel 4 news – another soldier shooting a dog … P**s me off big time.’ is closed to new replies.