Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Chancel repairs
  • meehaja
    Free Member

obviously, this is all a bit sly etc, my main issue is my solicitors who have proven constantly their relaxed ability to do anything properly or thoroughly or quickly have suggested i pay them £25 to search if I’m liable to pay chancelry, and presumably then offer me insurance. My question is, bearing in mind I’m buying a semi in Leeds (Armley for the locals) is this something i’m going to need, or can I wing it?

hh45
    Free Member

Sadly your lawyers may be right, even in Leeds. Chancel has become an issue in recent yeas and some people have been badly caught out. Chances of being caught are slim (I don’t have any figures) but a £10,000 bill is not unheard of so for £25 I would commission the search. Sorry to be a misery!

Nipper99
    Free Member

£17.oo for a chancel search. Google the Aston Cantlow case, hundreds of thousands. The search is called a “no search” seach and searches down to parish / tithe district level. If your search comes back with a “report” it doesn’t mean your particular property is affected and you can get an insurance policy to cover the risk – around £100 depending on the value of the property. If you are getting a mortgage your mortgagee would also require the policy to be taken out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Chancel repairs’ is closed to new replies.