Home Forums Bike Forum Challenge Strada Bianca tyres – do the f@@@ers ever seal

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Challenge Strada Bianca tyres – do the f@@@ers ever seal
  • charliemort

First ride on there and I had to pump up about three times. They are still going from 70psi to squidgy overnight.

I’ve checked and they are leaking through sidewalls.

do they sort themselves out eventually?

thanks

MoreCashThanDash

Lay the bike on its side and spin the wheels to get sealant around the inside of the sidewalls,  then flip over for the other side.

Had this problem when I first tried tubeless, but it is very tyre dependent.

charliemort

good idea – I’ll give that a go!

mert
    Free Member

Did you clean the inside of the tyre first?

charliemort

nope! I’ve never down that in 20 plus years of tubeless-ness!! Is that even a thing??

robola

Are they tanwalls? I had some OEM schwalbe TR tanwalls that leaked through the sidewalls, you could see the sealant oozing out. Eventually the pressure loss slowed down but they were never great at holding pressure. Replaced them with the same tyre but tougher grade, no problem now.

charliemort

yup – tanwalls!

branes
    Free Member

I have tan wall Baby Limus. Had to do the wheel lie down as above to get the sidewalls to seal, but I’ve only got them acceptable, maybe good for a few days. Fine for me as I use them for cross and fiddle with the pressure at each race anyway, but they’re crap compared to every other tyre I’ve got.

So TLDR in my experience not really.

w00dster

Had those tyres and they worked fine for me…..but bike shop set them up for me with new wheels!!

They even resealed after a flat. Tyre went down mid ride, proper flat. Gas canister, span the wheel and it held.

citizenlee
    Free Member

@w00dster – Different sealant brands use different size latex fibres.

cerrado-tu-ruido

Tan wall tyres take longer to seal, the process that makes them tan also makes them more porous.

oceanskipper

All of the above. Put the Challenge sealant in them. Or Orange.

spyke85
    Free Member

The tan wall taking longer to seal argument only applies to some vulcanized tyres – WTB for example are a pain the royal arse for this.

If you have the handmade version of the Strada Bianca, these of course do take a little longer to seal due to the natural nature of the carcass. You also need to ensure the sealant you are using is low in ammonia, so you cannot use Stans for example.

citizenlee
    Free Member

My Schwalbe Hans Dampf tan walls sealed and held 30psi with no sealant whilst I struggled to find my valve core tool. Haven’t lost any air since filling them up with Muc-Off either.

spyke85
    Free Member

That’s because Schwalbe tan walls are just coloured rubber that’s vulcanized and are no thinner to the black equivalent

oceanskipper

My Handmade TLR Challenge Getaway tyres are mostly sealed but they will lose 10 psi from 35 over 10 days or so..

spyke85
    Free Member

Similar air loss on my Getaways too. Doesn’t bother me at all – the ride quality is sublime.

mert
    Free Member

nope! I’ve never down that in 20 plus years of tubeless-ness!! Is that even a thing??

Definitely a thing. The mould release agent they use to make some tyres stops the sealant wetting the surface. It just beads up. Giving it a quick scrub gives you a nice surface for the sealant.

Even works to speed up the process on tyres without release agent…

oceanskipper

Doesn’t bother me at all – the ride quality is sublime

Me neither for the same reason. ??

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.