Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Chains
  • chvck
    Free Member

I keep snapping mine so which new one should I go for?

markd
    Free Member

How are they snapping?

Dibbs
    Free Member

You may want to examine your gear change technique too, in my experience poor gear changing has a lot to do with chain snapping.

Stoner
    Free Member

Indeed, how do people snap chains? It must surely just be clumsy shifting under heavy load?

Ive never snapped a chain despite riding SS on the Malverns. (blown my lungs out, but not snapped a chain)

markd
    Free Member

I was aiming at that next…

Might be worth spending more time on why the snap instead of buying replacements.

Especially as new workshop bulk HG53 9 speeds are £18… yikes.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Try KMC X9.93

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

chvck is pretty heavy on the bike, “here’s chuckie” and a sample of his riding:

seasons in the sun

Chvck is in the full-facer

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We don’t break chains on the tandem – so I believe its not about power but as said above poor gear changing or worn out chains. Broke on once with a poor gear change but thats the only time

KINGTUT
    Free Member

chvck is pretty heavy on the bike, “here’s chuckie” and a sample of his riding:

seasons in the sun

Chvck is in the full-facer

Eh?

retro83
    Free Member

It’s not always from crunching the gears, I used to snap them every couple of months when I was a trials kiddy

nickc

What are you using at the minute? I heard that some of the cheaper SRAM ones are pretty feeble.

Using SRAM 971 personally, could do with a bit longer life span, but they don’t snap

zaskar
    Free Member

I would buy a totally different chain from a different shop.

If you snap that -then something else is wrong with the bike/gear changing technique.

chakaping
    Free Member

I snap lots of Shimano chains, but have much better luck with Sram.

I suspect this is less to do with the quality of the chains than the fact that Sram have the powerlink, so aren’t subjected to my hamfisted attempts to split and re-join them.

Also snap less chains since I started using a dedicated chain tool rather than the one on my Alien multitool.

chvck
    Free Member

OK cheers all, I suspect that there is every chance that it has something to do with my gear changing although they usually don’t break during shifts, today it snapped hopping off some pallets – I haven’t changed gear in over a day! Also probably doesn’t help that the current chain was one of the cheap SRAM ones.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Trying KMC chain at the moment, they seem pretty decent.

Stoner
    Free Member

KMC make Shimano chains.

smiffy

I use the very cheapest SRAM chains and don’t break them.

If you’re jumping off stuff you will be bouncing the chain out of line, when you pedal away it gets twisted. Invest in a decent tensioner might save you a few chains.

walleater

Is the chain too short, taking into account the rear suspension action? I’ve snapped mechs in my time by making this error…

chvck
    Free Member

walleater – I’m running a hardtail and the chain is the right length, think that I’ll just invest in a slightly more expensive (hopefully higher quality!) chain and pay more attention to the way that I shift.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

KMC make Shimano chains.

Doesn’t mean they are the same though. I was snapping SRAM and Shimano chains before I made the switch to KMC. Not had one snap since.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Chains’ is closed to new replies.