Home Forums Bike Forum Chain wear?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chain wear?
  • didnthurt

How long does a chain last you?

I remember having to change my mountain bike chain 2 or even 3 times of year but that was my only bike and was ridden quite a lot. Recently I have worn out 4 chains on across 4 bikes in the last 6 months (105 on the road bike, XT on the cross bike, SRAM mid-range something or other on the mountain bikes) Bought a couple of KMC Titanium nitride coated ones so hopefully they’ll last a bit longer.

Can’t be bothered with the putaline wax cooker thing so will just persist on spending lots of money on chains instead 😭

Or I can see me turning to singlespeed again this winter, not because I’m hardcore more that I’m tight. 👌😜

wildfires3
    Free Member

I changed mine at 1500 miles or so and it was pretty shot, the mud and clay really did a number on it though.

Deore. Replaced with an XT, so we’ll see how long this one lasts.

didnthurt

I’ve been spoilt by road bike and singlespeed chain life spans for too long, where I’d happily get 12 months out of a chain.

cynic-al
    Free Member

At what point do you judge them to be worn out?

w00dster

105 has lasted me years. Bought in 2017, ridden from October to April, approx 100 miles a week and only on its second chain.
    SRAM GX, every ten minutes it feels like and a new cassette. Not ridden that much but where I ride it must melt the cheese that is SRAM chains and cassettes. I have today picked the bike up from the lbs, new chain, cassette and chain rings (again!!).

zerocool

When the chain and cassette eventually wear out or if it gets broken too many times. New bike is 11 speed (all previous were 7,8,9,10 speed) so don’t know if that means it’ll wear out quicker.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What do you mean by “wear out”?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just seen a FB post where it is claimed an 85 Raleigh road bike is on its original transmission after 35,000 miles.

didnthurt

When the chain wear indicator tool shows that the chain has lengthened more than 0.75% (new chain is required) and more 1.0% (potentially new chain, cassette and chainrings required). I’m hoping I’ve not left it too late on my cross and road bike as I really could do without spending £100 on cassettes or even worse if I need new chainrings too 😬

Road bike chains normally last a long time and singlespeed chains don’t adversely affect the drivetrain when they wear out. I kid they are super cheap anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chain wear?’ is closed to new replies.