Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Chain tensioner SS … what would fit my drop out (pic attached)
  • Aus
    Free Member

Hi

Want to run my bike SS. I’ve an On-One chain tensioner but it won’t fit with my Dekerf’s Ritchey drop out as it needs a flat plate. Any recos as to what might fit?

Thanks

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

That XT mech would make a good tensioner.

munchiepumps
    Free Member

Try looking at the Tarty Bikes website and look at the Trailtech sprung tensioner, the do a few differant variations.

jambon
    Free Member

I did meet a bloke on a trail some years back who reckoned that there’s nowt better than a rear mech locked into position with the Hi/Low adjusters. Only slightly heavier than a tensioner.

This bloke was also THE quickest I’ve ever seen someone hurtle down Barry Knows Best so I can give some credence to his choice of tensioner.

He’d tried various tensioners before he came to that conclusion.

Track ends are obviously best but you don’t want to start welding Surly dropouts to a thing of beauty that is a DeKerf. Innit.

wwaswas

if you want something nice look at a Rohloff tensioner.

curlie467
    Free Member

I have an old 7 speed mech cable tied up, it works perfectly, better than any of the crappy tensioners.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

A DMR Simple Tensioner Seeker has always worked well for me on vertical dropouts and looks like it would fit yours.

http://www.dmrbikes.com/?Section=products&pageType=item&category=3&CategoryName=Chain%20Devices&itemid=CDSTS

DrP

I’ve a gusset one, that I’ve taken a dremmel to (as i’ve drop outs identical to yours..)

Will upload pics in a bit..

DrP

honourablegeorge

BB mount stinger up front?

meehaja
    Free Member

I used to use a rear mech that had broken, locked in position with a bit of gear cable threaded through backwards (with the lug at the top). That said, the last tensioner I used bolted into the derraileur hanger?

DrP

Here you go…

DrP

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all … Dr P, I have the same tensioner so may copy your approach. Albeit, just using the rear mech might be the easiest step

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got ritchey dropouts and use an On-One tensioner (the sprung one), a friend also has them and uses the DMR STS which is marginaly more faff.

ssboggy

Surley Singleator just mounts onto the gear hanger and uses a spring for tension, can be altered to push the chain up or down

emanuel
    Free Member

I’ve got the yess bottom bracket one.I’ve tried several and it seems the best.though you could use a stinger,I remember a thread about it.
    Getting an eno hub next month though.(other singlespeed)
    they’re not that much,about 2-3x the price of a decent tensioner.

also tried the yess full suspension one.good,but noisy,on a road bike though,so maybe I hear it more.
    tried a fireeye one,the spring broke,but then you can put a zip tie through it and have it pull up.works better.

but I’d look into a eno hub,I’ve spent as much on tensioners.

emanuel
    Free Member

just get some longer spokes on the drive side and build it up.an hour’s work and a less than a tenner.Asides from the hub,of course.

boxelder

Superstar or On-one Doofer – both attach to hanger.
    Superstar better as can be modded to push up or spring down.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Chain tensioner SS … what would fit my drop out (pic attached)’ is closed to new replies.