Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Chain Suck
  • astura
    Free Member

Last couple of rides I have been on I have been getting chain suck once the gears and chain get real mukky. Not sure on what’s the best preventative measure to combat it.

Crank, gearage, and chain are under 6 months old. Any suggestions on what I can do?

mrmo
    Free Member

keep things clean and oiled, age isn’t the issue it is use, worn rings won’t help. Some bikes just suffer more than others, i think it is happens to most bikes but the clearance between chain stay and chain ring determine if it will be a problem.

AJames
    Free Member

The science behind it is hotly debated. I think the tolerances sometimes, especially on new kit are such that it just happens with a particular chain and ring combi. Solution? Absolutely spotless and not over lubed chain or replace chain with SRAM and power link. Whilst your at it why not buy 2 chains and change them every couple of rides. Dead easy with powere link and makes it simple to have nice clean chain often. Will also prolong the life of gears massively, a chain is only 20 quid, new cassete lots more.

orangeboy
    Free Member

As above rings are a prim suspect but som times it just happens even with a new bike for no good reason.
    Do check the chain with a stretch gauge ESP of 10
    Speed

astura
    Free Member

Ok thanks, got a few things to try.

coatesy
    Free Member

You often find burring of the chainring teeth won’t help matters either, removing the burrs with a small round file can help a lot.

redfordrider
    Free Member

I’ve only just resolved a chain suck problem that was carving chunks out of a Frame. After much fault finding, a new middle ring and chain has solved the issue.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Chain Suck’ is closed to new replies.