Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • chain lube – what's flavour of the day
  • cp

I’ll expermiment with wax at some point, but right now, what’s folks rated chainlube in a bottle? I normally use purple extreme, but local supply is non existent. A dry, not much residue lube is favoured. I dont mind reapplication so long as it lasts an average ride. I like a lack of mess with my chain lubes…

wwaswas

I quite like the Muc-Off stuff – as long as you’re not too liberal it’s fine.

And the garage acquires a lovely pineapplely smell too.

shredder
    Free Member

Fenwicks Stealth

orangeboy
    Free Member

Rock and roll blue

tmb467
    Free Member

Got some very cheap 5wt semi-synthetic motor oil and I submerge the chain and let it drip off

Wipe off the residue and the chain is perfectly lubed and dry

I also use it in my fork lowers – it’s just oil. No fancy colour or smell but cheap and works pretty well

zelak999
    Free Member

Rock n Roll Extreme, I love it and use it all year round.
    Cleans and lubes the chain at the very same time!

smiffy

Sawchain oil.

_tom_
    Free Member

White lightning clean ride usually, seems to work ok.

iainc

squirt on MTB

Fenwikhs Stealth on Road

jamesoz

Started washing my chain in two stroke fuel, works well and the petrol evaporates leaving oil behind in the chain. A quick wipe and good to go during these dry’ish times.

wwaswas

works well and the petrol evaporates leaving oil behind in the chain.

do you have a ‘no naked flames’ rule in your shed?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Does any one else dislike these new fangled runny lubes (rock n roll etc). In spite of what the shop says they dont look like they should work and after a few years using them Im convinced they dont. My chains end up with small amounts of rust – something Iv never had with the sticky ones, that – would you believe- actually stick to the chain.

Bring back sticky lubes!

chakaping
    Free Member

White Lightning Epic Ride does what you requested.

I’ve settled on that after a few years of experimentation, good for MTB and road.

discoduck
    Free Member

I’ve experimented with Wax and cant say that i enjoyed using it, audible graunching and a lack of rust protection,

I’ve used Rock ‘n’ Roll blue extensively and its good for a bit but fades out very quickly, on a long haul it needs re applying so it means carrying it with you which is often the case with most lubes.

I’ve swapped across to Purple Extreme and have been running this over the past 4 weeks in the dryest conditions i’ve experienced in the UK for some time, So i cant comment on wet wetaher usage but dry is exceptionally good,

I dont want to teach you to suck eggs so please forgive me if you follow this method already but i’ve found especially since i stopped using the Finish Line stuff about 3 years ago that if you apply the lube after a ride so its got time to go off before the next ride, ideally a day ? a lot of these solvent based remedies need to evapourate before riding.

discoduck
    Free Member

ndthornton

I found that Rock ‘n’ Roll provides little protection against rust but better than Wax

I’ll see what this new miracle Bike Medicine is like,

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i do love the rock n roll extreme stuff, but i seem to be applying it alot just lately, even though its dry out im finding if i dont apply after every 2 rides its starting squeaking the chain etc, never noticed this in the winter i guess maybe i should use the rock n roll dry in the summer perhaps that would fair better than the extreme

extreme in the winter is brilliant mind! never had an issue and doesnt clog up with crap and stays clean

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Finish Line Wet Conditions, all year round – been using it since 1994!

I use just a smidgen when it’s dry and a good dollop when it’s wet. The smell takes me back to my youth. No problems with it, apart from the chain and cassette requires cleaning briefly with a cloth and white spirit after every ride.

jamesoz

wwaswas – Member
    works well and the petrol evaporates leaving oil behind in the chain.

do you have a ‘no naked flames’ rule in your shed?
    POSTED 14 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Outside in the back garden, or if I’m feeling daring, in the kitchen with the gas hob on whilst smoking a fag.

shortcut

Purple extreme here. If you buy from UkBikestore it will be with you tomorrow. Shocked how quick they were when I ordered via eBay.

motozulu
    Free Member

Using muc off dry for the first time as has beeb said, the driest spell for yonks and just fitted a new chain so I thought why not?
    Only had one ride at a very dry and dusty Cannock but was pleased with how clean the chain was afterwards. So far so good.

Gunz
    Free Member

Rock n Roll Blue here. I found Purple Extreme OK for the road bike but no good for muddy MTB rides and I won’t bother buying again.

bigbadbob
    Free Member

I give my chain a good blast with GT85 then a good rub with a rag, then another good blast with GT85 and away I go. I have been doing that for over 15 years with all my bikes, never had any chain problems at all.

almightydutch
    Free Member

White Lightning Clean Ride, have used this all year round and cannot fault the results. Chain is always quiet and clean….what more could I want

cp

OK, as folk seem to swear by what they are used to, I’m sticking with Purple Extreme & have ordered a new bottle from Wiggle. Just managed to eeek out the last few dregs from a bottle for tonights Trailquest 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Finish Line XC. Normally carry a small bottle too for relubing on big, wet rides such as the Dyfi Enduro.

Although saying that, I got bought some Muc Off wet lube which seems pretty good, and smells of grapefruit – added bonus.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Finish line wet lube in the winter.

Squirt in the summer. I’ve been very impressed with this stuff. Quite resistant to wet weather for a wax lube and the transmission stays nice and clean.

Twin
    Free Member

White lightning epic ride for all conditions. Best I’ve ever used.

Simpsan
    Free Member

Purple Extreme for all year.
    Works really well

mindmap3
    Free Member

Finish Line wet lube in the winter…it’s great but is hateful to clean, even with the bare minimum used.

Started usingFinish Line ceramic lube last summer and thought it was great, but this year it’s been rubbish; even at the slightest hint if water it’s failed whereas I was able to use it mist of the year previously.

Just tried Juice Lubes Viking lube and it seems to work pretty well. It’s coped with wet rides and doesn’t pick up too much crap in the dry but it’s horrible to apply because it’s so runny.

Found that the wet lube works best in the road bike and keeps the chain quite quiet. The others can’t cope with longer rides and get noisey very quickly.

muddyground
    Free Member

Surely with these “what lube” questions you need to set certain qualifications from the off? Road or proper bike? Canal tow path or actual off-road in mud and rain for several hours? Otherwise somebody will say “X lube works great for me!” and it turns out to be nothing more than a pootle to the shops and back on an ancient Dawes. Furthermore I know poeple who swear by a certain lubricant but have the mechanical sympathy of a gnat; they wouldn’t know a ‘graunchy’ chain from a new one out of the wrapper.

Personally I find all these “what lube” posts a bit pointless as you’ve no idea what style or length of ride people do, let alone their personal levels of mechanical ineptitude. Without a reference point there’s nothing to judge by.

Sorry but I’m out.

bigjim

Pedros Chainj.

/End

mdoubleu

Gnar Lube, I bought a load in the US and can honestly say it is the best I’ve ever used – plus it smells amazing.

ransos
    Free Member

Finish Line: citrus and asparagus notes on the nose, a hint of spice on the palate, coupled with an intense minerality.

motozulu
    Free Member

I at least qualified my choice by saying where it was ridden and in what conditions.

So there.

signed,

A. Gnat.

Kryton57

This:

wwaswas – Member
    I quite like the Muc-Off stuff – as long as you’re not too liberal it’s fine.

And the garage acquires a lovely pineapplely smell too.

Or this:

chakaping – Member
    White Lightning Epic Ride does what you requested.

I’ve settled on that after a few years of experimentation, good for MTB and road.
    ..for me.

brooess
    Free Member

ransos – Member

Finish Line: citrus and asparagus notes on the nose, a hint of spice on the palate, coupled with an intense minerality.

You are Jilly Goolden and I claim my £5!

johnnystorm

Squirt

Just make sure it goes on the night before.

robbieh
    Free Member

Using up a tin of 3 in 1 here,

mdoubleu

Plus ‘Gnar Lub’ adopt better marketing than I’ve seen with other brands:

http://gnarlube.tumblr.com/image/48142263697

Tracey

White Lightning, used it for years on all our bikes. Not found anything better

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘chain lube – what's flavour of the day’ is closed to new replies.