Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chain device options for a 30t front ring
  • swisstony
    Free Member

Ive gone 1×10 but despite a clutch mech and narrow/wide ring (plus new chain and cassette) im still dropping the chain on rocky stuff.

Ive been looking at a chain device but they all seem to be for 32t plus, anyone know of any others that will fit.

ta

Yetiman
    Free Member

Is your chain tight enough? I’m running 30t NW rings on both bikes, with 40t adapters, and I think I’ve just dropped a chain twice this year. I’m riding some pretty rocky descents too. If that’s not an option then MRP do a micro guide for 28-32t rings…..

http://www.biketart.com/353995/products/mrp-micro-guide.aspx?origin=pla?kwd=&gclid=CO6U8cWj9L4CFTBk7Aod5H8AsA

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

The problem is more likely to be the side-to-side position than the diameter as 30t rings are often offset in a bit. If it’s not, you’d probably be fine with a 32t one.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

might be worth looking at a top only guide like the pauls components one or similar.

Also worth (as above) checking chain length

swisstony
    Free Member

yes chain length is as short as i dare go

thanks for the link that would do the job but thats way out of my price range unfortunately.

id looked at the superstar top guide which looked ideal but for the 32t bit, i did email them and they said i may be able to get it to work but it may be tricky. might give it a punt though for £16.99

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 30t chainring on my Sultan for about 6 weeks now.

The jury is still out, since I’m a natural sceptic, but even during a Lakes weekend just gone that involved the Stake Pass descent into Langdale fell, and the drop into Seathwaite via the Styhead Gill descent, I’ve still yet to lose a chain. That kind of chop is towards the limit of what’s rideable IMO, so perhaps it’s worth looking at your setup with a fresh set of eyes?

brant
    Free Member

Swisstony.

Give me your address. I have something that might work on your 30t ring, as a conventional “cage” type one won’t.

Email in profile.

cookeaa

Is the clutch switched on, and/or properly adjusted and working?
    Are you sure the chain isn’t too slack?
    What brand of chain are you using? I’m sure I heard KMC 10 speed didn’t mesh as well as other brands do and are slightly more prone to dropping…

I’ve been quite amazed by just how well NW rings seem to work, initially I tried it 1×9 (without a clutch) on a HT and I dropped the chain maybe twice in a two month period, riding all sorts of terrain…

swisstony
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I think it must be due to wear but the wear is really premature by anyone’s standard. It was all a brand new set up about 2 months ago, XT clutch mech (cluth engaged!) Raceface NW ring and decent SRAM cassette and chain but recently it started to drop. It’s not just the technical stuff but technical stuff ridden at speed as my riding buddy who’s also gone 1×10 had the same problems.

Brant ygm

cookeaa

And you’ve checked the clutch is properly adjusted?

see here…

Could have gone baggy over the last couple of months perhaps.

emanuel
    Free Member

used a mrp mini on the direct mount 28t ring.
    never ever dropped a chain on a Ht
    would be willing to let it go

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks for the link cookeaa, i’ll have a fiddle

swisstony
    Free Member

good call cookeaa, i tightened it up and after a few rocky descents i havent dropped the chain.

cheers 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chain device options for a 30t front ring’ is closed to new replies.