Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • central heating issues??
  • renton
    Free Member

I’ve just moved into a house and am having problems with the central heating.

Basically the red water pump has been going constantly all night and is now very hot to touch. ?

I can’t see how to turn it off or find out if there is a problem with it?

We haven’t got the heating on and only hoy water at the moment so can’t understand why it sounds like it’s pumping all the time?

Boiler is an ideal icos?

Any ideas

Steve

wobbliscott
    Free Member

take a look on the pump and see if its got a switch on it. I seem to remember mine had a speed switch on it with two or three settings, one may have been ‘on all the time’. Can’t think why you’d want it on all the time, but there may be occasions where you do like testing the thing.

I take it your boiler isn’t on all the time?

Failing that it could be an electronic fault in the controller/timer unit.

renton
    Free Member

The pump has a switch with 3 settings. It is on the middle setting number 2 ?

renton
    Free Member

Also we haven’t got a thermostat that we can turn up and down?

Instead we have trv’s on the rad’s?

Is that normal?

globalti
    Free Member

You need to get a proper heating engineer who understands the dark art of the electrics. It’s something to do with the boiler or the motorised valve.

Yes, TRVs instead of a room ‘stat is increasingly popular. I would still want the ‘stat though as I can’t trust my wife not to open all the TRVs to full flow.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Trvs instead of room stat – what controls the boiler ? Is it just left to its own devices on a timer Sounds horrifically inefficeint

Trvs are not exactly known for a reliability and b – reliable adjustability.

Certainly woldnt be my prefered choice for a heating system.

Flaperon

Lots of people don’t think so.

Looking at a new build house with Taylor Wimpey last month:

“I’d like each floor and the bathrooms to be independently zoned with their own thermostats. I’m willing to pay for the extra components and time to do it.”

Flat no from them, nor would they agree to drop CAT6 to each room. Told them to lump it.

stumpy01

trail_rat – Member
    Trvs instead of room stat – what controls the boiler ? Is it just left to its own devices on a timer Sounds horrifically inefficeint

Trvs are not exactly known for a reliability and b – reliable adjustability.

Certainly woldnt be my prefered choice for a heating system.

My parents have this in their house. And it’s crap. There’s nothing to tell the boiler not to run when the house gets warm enough so from when the timer says ‘heat up’ to when it says ‘don’t heat up’ the boiler is running and the TRVs are supposed to control the temp. In reality, the rads are either too warm or too cool, so my mum is constantly wandering around adjusting them, rather than just letting them get on with it.

I’d replace the controller with a wireless one that has a wireless stat running into it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Flaperon – taylor wimpey dont care what you want . There will be folk along tomorrow to buy their crap for the ask which presents alot less hassle for them

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘central heating issues??’ is closed to new replies.