Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • central europe
  • chaletslovakia
    Free Member

I’m looking for some decent biking east of the Alps.

Recently moved to Slovakia…. there is an absolute ton of tracks and trails around the area but it seems there is no one else biking them but me….
    Will be exploring the neighbouring areas (Hungary, Czech Republic, south Poland) for some biking centres/destinations. The biking scene in this part of the world is not what it should be – I feel like I’m a bit of a trailblazer…

Does anyone have any knowledge / experience of any (preferably singletrack) biking in this part of the world?

peteimpreza

I thought off road biking was banned in Slovakia? Might explain the empty trails. Watch out for he land mines as well.

Just found this, yep banned.

MTB banned in Slovakia

geetee1972
    Free Member

I don’t know if MTBing is allowed/tolerated/encouraged etc, but the ski resort of Zakopane in Poland, close to the border with Slovakia would be a good place to investigate. The town has a few lifts, which are open in the summer but I don’t know if this is for biking or not.
    The trails around Zakopane would make amazing riding though.

Hairychested
    Free Member

You’ll struggle in Poland if you don’t speak Polish or at least German.The Suddetens are fine, rolling and great. If you want some peaceful MTB’ing I can give some pointers in South-West Poland (border of Poland and Czech Rep.) – I’m from there myself. My favourite mountains are Gory Sowie but you really need to be able to communicate. If you speak Slovak or Czech you should be ok though.

BTW Polish lager starts at 5% and prices are getting cheaper if you have pounds.

joemarshall
    Free Member

There is some lift assisted downhilling in Slovenia. I don’t know where exactly it is, but the video I saw looked like a pretty big event, so I guess you can find it on google somewhere.

Joe

joemarshall
    Free Member

Also http://www.mbsk.co.uk/jasnamountainbike.html

Looks okay for somewhere that mountain biking is banned:-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KoLil2iv90

Joe

peteimpreza

joemarshall – Member
    There is some lift assisted downhilling in Slovenia. I don’t know where exactly it is, but the video I saw looked like a pretty big event, so I guess you can find it on google somewhere.

Joe

Probabaly Maribor.

chaletslovakia
    Free Member

I heard about the ban too but have found the situation otherwise. The downhilling at Jasna is top drawer with an extra descent added last summer. Big Hit II’s are available for rent.

I joined the local m/biking club (but have yet to ride with them – we are snowed in until April)…

There is a Slovakian downhill series.

There are new signposts up trailmarking the Low Tatra ride (60 odd kms)… and a load of new O.S. maps with biking routes shown…

So not really sure about the whole ban thing…

MrNutt
    Free Member

why did they ban it?!?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

This guy might be yer man.

Hungarian chap from MTBR forums – seems like a nice guy.

nasher
    Free Member

IIRC they banned singletrack riding (foot paths etc..) in slovakia… which is the best bit!

You can still unpaved roads etc… w

cuckoo
    Free Member

I was in the Karkonosze mountains (Polish / Czech border) back in October.

I was in a town in Poland called Szklarska Poreba and there were about a dozen waymarked cycling trails adding up to about 500km. The areas I rode were mainly forest fire roads but I was informed there was a range of technical levels.

Apparently on the Czech side of the Karkonosze national park the network is more extensive.

Here are a few photos from the trip

Karkonosze

Gory Izerskie

Hairychested
    Free Member

Good man, cuckoo, my home land! The Czechs have better infrastructure and marketing, the Poles more open spaces and fewer Germans. If you go to Karkonosze you’ll probably need to stick to designated routes, but any neighbouring mountains will be quieter.
    BTW There is a series of races organised down there in Szklarska Poreba and Karpacz. Plenty of lycra on fit, sorry – intelectually exciting 😉 people.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Nice part of the world to come from Hairychested.

The latest issue of Singletrack has an article about riding in the Bieszczady mountains in Ukraine. This range also continues into south-east Poland so this could be another option for you. However i am told there are still wolves and bears living there. I am sure Hairychested could advise you further on this.

I have also been walking in the High Tatras near Zakopane on rocky trails that would have been awesome to ride but, sadly, i think they were for hikers only. The locals were riding them on quad bikes but I think this was more to do with it being part of their job rather than any recreational activities 😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m not familiar with Bieszczady (or the Eastern Karpatian Mountains as a whole) – I was too close to The Sudetens to bother with anything other. I do know though, there are wild bears, boars and wolves in there, a friend of mine used to take his Marin Team (V-brakes and Manitou SX Ti) and a rucksack there every year. He said you were alone for days or, if chosen, weeks. It’s a bit hardcore if you have a family, mind.

My dream ride is down from Kasprowy Wierch to Zakopane. Why? Have a look below:

nasher
    Free Member

Hairychested

That looks ace, nice and techy…how long is thebdescent?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Finding something as long as 5kms isn’t hard there. You’re looking at mountains over 5000ft above the sea level or even more.

IIRC this one took some 90 mins on a Trek 4000 rigid with V-brakes last time I was there. Arm pump took ages to go, though.

gingerflash

Nasher – check out the next issue of Montagne magazine. They’re doing a special feature of the mountains of Liguria (including one of my photos :-))

Hairychested
    Free Member

The Tatras are rocky and full of hard core walkers (and Zakopane is loved by the Russians), whilst the Sudetens are more relaxed, flowy and singletracky. Have a guess why I prefer them. Besides, you can fly to Wroclaw and it’s only 120kms or so from there.

chaletslovakia
    Free Member

Hey Hairychested – Seems like you’re the fella to know…. I’m on the Slovak side of the High Tatras scoping out local rides; you’re right that they are rocky and busy with walkers. Also there is a lack of decent singletrack. I’m prepared to travel as long as the riding is good. The Sudetens you mentioned sound good – I think I’ve found them in NW Slovakia on the Czech border. Would that be right?

anagallis_arvensis

There is some lift assisted downhilling in Slovenia

MAribor indeed.

Grr I R downhillist

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘central europe’ is closed to new replies.