Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • CBR500…..a good choice?
  • SiB
    Free Member

Going to take A2 licence shorty and this bike seems a good choice to me (I’m sticking to A2 as life too short!). Anyone got any other recommendations, real life experiences, good or bad, of the CBR?

Thanks

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

As a Honda you can’t go wrong really can you. Get some practice over the spring and summer and remember throttles go both ways! Be safe and enjoy

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks DD, it just seems the most ‘sensible’ option re price, insurance, thrills!!

tjagain

No point in only doing the restricted license. Its no harder to do the full one

Personally I wouldn’t get a fully faired low barred bike. Too easy to damage expensively. I’d get something without a full fairing and without the racy riding position

martymac

when i passed my direct access in ’98, i went straight from a 125 to an 1100, so, from 12hp to 125hp.
    Wobbled off the day after my test, going round a corner at around 45mph, when it could easily be taken at 70.
    My advice, take it easy, not just in terms of speed, but be careful of going for really long rides too, its easy for your attention to wander.
    500cc is plenty, when you are pulling away from traffic lights or junctions, it will leave any normal car for dead.
    Enjoy it, i loved having a bike, I’d have one again if i had the time/space for it.

I was fine after my accident, bike needed a brake lever, clothes were ruined tho

Cougar

Personally I wouldn’t get a fully faired low barred bike. Too easy to damage expensively. I’d get something without a full fairing and without the racy riding position

This. First bike? It’s not a case of if, you will drop it. And then you’ll cry.

Can’t go wrong with Honda, but a CBR? Nah, CB / CBF more like.

Current CB500F, can be ridden on an A2: http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/street/cb500f-2016/overview.html

I’d be looking at used for a first bike though, for reasons as in the first sentence.

Cougar

My first (and to date, only) bike was a CB500. Looked a lot like this:

mattyfez

I’m not a (motor) biker, but my mate had a CBR 600, and i Rode pillion a few times, it’s a very good bike by all accounts, but the speed and acceleration is utterly utterly bonkers. And apparently he was ‘taking it easy’.

I thought I was going to die several times, which wasn’t my idea of fun.

Pigface
    Free Member

Stone axe reliable, won’t depreciate

Matt_SS_xc

But sure why you would limit yourself to a2. I wonder if insurance is cheaper with full licence…..
    I think the character of a bike is much more a factor in how you ride it than engine size. And the rider obviously….

smokey_jo

If it was my money I’d look at an xsr700 / mt07. Very easy to ride, not at all intimidating and a great engine! Money wise not much difference if you go for a used one and they do an A2 version.

If going naked then the KTM Duke 390 is lots of fun and power to weight is better than the CB.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’m looking at the Hondas myself currently. The CB500F and CBR500R are identical other than the CBR is fully faired and and has a slightly more racing position.

They both look good and will need to test ride after I pass my bike test – you may as well go for the A and then you can get anything you fancy.

I do like Hondas though – currently on a CB125F and it’s great fun for a 125!

redstripe
    Free Member

Yes Honda for reliability, re-sale etc, thought about the CB500X? Bit more upright adventure trailie looking.

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks for all the pointers, does seem pointless taking the A2 test so will be taking the full bike licence. As for thinking about a naked (ish) bike to avoid potential costly scrapes on full faired bikes….I’m sold on that idea too, i guess I’m easily persuaded!

Loving the look, reviews and price of the MT-07, XSR700 is too retro looking for my liking and the KTM RC390(?) is too naked and ‘industrial’ looking. Only just decided to go from A2 restricted bikes to the choice of any bike so MT 07 size is more than fine for my needs….couple of days commuting, with fun thrown in, a to b when car not available at weekends and its not going to be a lifestyle for me so understated fine, the stealthier the better actually as I want to be unnoticed (but obviously seen!)

So are there any similar bikes out there I can have a look at, any recommendations greatly appreciated as there are so many to look at, its a minefield!

….and i thought choosing a mountain bike was tough!

Thanks in advance

Cougar

SV650? Popular First Big Bike choice.

Cougar

Do you have a budget? What sort of age, are you looking new or used?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I asked this question recently and got some great advice – might be worth having a read through this:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/motorbike-recommendation

allthegear
    Free Member

Whatever you get, go on an adventure. It’s ace!

(She says, sat in Guadalupe, Spain, eating tapas)

Sorry – can’t offer useful advice on bike choice – my first bike was a BMW F800GSA

Rachel

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks cougar, liking the look of the SV650 too, one for the list although at first glance appears to be a tad more expensive than the MT?

Up to £5k but will gladly spend less if good example, say £3k

Cougar

my first bike was a BMW F800GSA

If budget allows, the BMW GS is a piece of awesomeness. Rode a friend’s once, it cornered like it was on rails compared to my old CB.

allthegear
    Free Member

The BMW GS is a wibbly wobbly jelly bike compared to the XR. DON’T test ride one… 😈

Rachel

tjagain

Like a retro? Modern Triumph twins in various flavours. Never ridden one but apparently very good.

Faired or unfaired – crash bungs are your friend

jonm81

First bike? It’s not a case of if, you will drop it.

This properly gets on my tits. Why will you drop your first bike? Lots of people don’t and only the careless or over confident might. I passed last year and haven’t come close to dropping mine in over 10000 miles of riding.

As to the CBR500, it is a good bike by all accounts. I’ve got the 2015 CB500X (same frame, engine, suspension, brakes etc. I think) and it is a nice bike to ride. It’s light , can beat most cars off the line, 80mpg and cheap to buy, insure and maintain. It is a bit buzzy on the motorways at 6000ish rpm but still manages well. I went for the X as the seating position is more upright and comfier for longer journeys. Only criticism is the gear change is a bit clunky between 1st and 2nd but I think they changed the mechanism on the 2016 model.

Cougar

Why will you drop your first bike?

Yeah, you’re right, that’s shit advice on my part, go out and buy a brand new CBR as a first bike, you’ll probably be fine.

I’m sure lots of people manage not to drop a bike, but the risk of a new rider doing so is relatively high, and IMHO it’s sensible not to be riding something that’ll cost a grand to fix if you do. It’s the same with cars, the chances of a new driver being involved in a collision are relatively high, I’d advise “you will crash” – they might not, but they’re better off expecting to crash and not doing than the other way around, no?

And with the bike I’m not talking about crashing necessarily, just that it’s so easy to drop a bike if you’re inexperienced. You can drop it just losing your balance wheeling it off a driveway. I once dropped mine setting off from a junction in the wrong gear, the bike stalled and stopped dead and I didn’t quite have the strength to keep it upright (though “laid gently down” is more accurate than “dropped,” it was still on the floor). Total damage, a scratch in the chrome on the clutch lever.

Plus I’ve seen people with many years of experience drop bikes. A mate of mine once dropped a new bike because he didn’t quite engage the kick-stand properly, a combination of being unfamiliar with the new kit and a misjudge of road camber. It happens.

thebees
    Free Member

The Honda CR 500 is a lively alternative.

P-Jay
    Free Member

They look nice and sensible, I had a CBR600 as a first bike, utterly reliable, very neutral and inoffensive – far, far easier than the 500 I passed my test on.

It had 110bhp but it’s not like it jumped out and tried to kill you, it was a complete pussy cat.

kilo

If you are going to commute into London you might want to make sure it’s euro 4 compliant to future proof it against the charges for older bikes coming into town starting in 2020.

sobriety
    Free Member

The Honda CR 500 is a lively alternative.

If you like firing yourself at the sun and vibrating your eyes out of their sockets, then yes, it is a ‘lively’ alternative.

*and engine rebuilds, those too.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Get an RGV250 and take it to Stan Stephens.

jonm81

Yeah, you’re right, that’s **** advice on my part, go out and buy a brand new CBR as a first bike, you’ll probably be fine.

Conversely someone might be a lot more careful with a new bike than an old banger and take more care not to drop it.

It is the assertion that you definitely will drop your first bike that annoys me. I heard it time and again from people and it seems to be one of these things that has attained mythical status almost the same as the loud exhausts save lives rubbish.

Plus I’ve seen people with many years of experience drop bikes.

Do you offer them the same advice not to buy a new as they might drop it?

Maybe it would be better to suggest that a new fully faired bike may not be the best option as the likelihood of dropping a bike as a new rider is higher and repairing a faired bike is more expensive rather than making the aspersion that dropping their bike is a certainty because they have just passed their test.

Cougar

Maybe it would. The outcome is the same, n’est-ce pas?

jonm81

Yeah, the outcome is the same just a bit less antagonistic. It comes across as being very condescending.

To be honest I agree with your sentiment just dislike the way it is put across (much the same as the Stay Back! signs on the back of lorries).

Anyhoo, the CB500 series of bikes are very good and I think they make ideal first bikes and are A2 compliant if that is the route taken. If your looking at 1 year old low mileage bike they are not far off the cost of a new one anyway.

tjagain

A friend of mine passed her test, bought a fully faired race rep and dropped it at some lights. the fairing mounts punched a hole in the frame. write off. she bought another and the same happened.

You are much more likely to drop / crash a bike in your first year and doing so on a naked bike is likely to cause much less damage.

also an upright riding position gives you better control when you are learning

jackthedog
    Free Member

It is the assertion that you definitely will drop your first bike that annoys me. I heard it time and again from people and it seems to be one of these things that has attained mythical status almost the same as the loud exhausts save lives rubbish.

I always trot out the “you WILL drop it” trope. I think because it’s humbling, and being humble seems like a good trait for a motorcyclist.

kayla1
    Free Member

I always trot out the “you WILL drop it” trope. I think because it’s humbling, and being humble seems like a good trait for a motorcyclist.

This times eleventy bazillion! Humble is good, otherwise you run the risk of turning into a ‘biker’ other than just someone who enjoys riding motorcycles. You all know the type- “I’m mad, me!”; riding through quiet villages on Sunday mornings in first gear with the engine bouncing off the limiter, stick-on ears on their lids, ‘If you can read this the bitch fell off’ print t-shirts, etc… ****s.

edit- OH’s got a CB500 as a track bike and he loves it- high bars, cheapness and all.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

SV650? Popular First Big Bike choice.

Vtwins generally – easy to ride, not as mentally fast, pretty forgiving with gears.
    My cousin has an SV and apart from the finish looking a bit tatty after a few years, seems like a reliable, comfy bike

bazzer
    Free Member

Triumph Street Triple, dead easy to ride and you won’t get bored of it.

It will be happy riding to work or on a trackday.

Brilliant little bikes !!!

Sundayjumper

Agreed on getting full licence.

My first bike was a naked 600 Bandit (not my pic), it was a good choice and did me well for several years of year-round urban commuting *but* do think about what your use will be. Naked bikes are rubbish on motorway-type journeys where you’re just clinging on and trying to keep out of the wind. Very tedious. I would want a fairing if I was doing regular miles.

I wanted a VFR800 at the time, still do a little bit, but I know I’d never get around to riding it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Triumph Street Triple

did’t the earlier ones have a bit of a tendency to tankslapping? If so, look for a steering damper. IIRC, the tankslapping issue was designed out later, but I’ve no idea of the dates/models.
    Cracking bike though and a lovely noise

bazzer
    Free Member

Your probably thinking of a “Speed” triple, Street triple is its smaller arguably better little brother.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘CBR500…..a good choice?’ is closed to new replies.