Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • CBD Curious
  • russianbob
    Free Member

Hi Everyone

I’ve been thinking about CBD stuff lately, the drinks which claim to chill you out like booze does but without the other effects and also stuff for stress/sleep.

Anyone any experiences good, bad or otherwise?

Thanks

Russian Bob

airvent
    Free Member

CBD is as useless as the ‘essential oils’ that middle aged women used to sell. Almost everyone I know that has tried it said it really had no noticeable effect, and it costs a fortune. You’d be far better off and cheaper using the product it is derived from shall we say.

doris5000

I’ve been trying it the last couple of weeks. I’ve got Long COVID and an as-yet-unconfirmed arthritic condition.

I bought some oil to see if it’d ease my joint pains for a better night’s sleep. The bottle said try 60mg before bed. I started off slow with 30mg. It kept me awake for hours! A few days later I tried 10mg. That was just as bad! It did ease the joint pain a bit, but my brain was going 100mph til 5am.

I’m now taking 5mg every morning, as a pick-me-up. It’s not helping my joints, but it certainly is helping with Long COVID fatigue and brain fog.

I’ve read that CBD can act as a stimulant at low doses, and a sedative at high doses. But I am loath to go ‘well, 10mg keeps me awake all night, so maybe I should try 10x more to get to sleep?’ It goes against everything my recreational drug days taught me!

seosamh77
    Free Member

That’ll be THC you are looking for.

chvck
    Free Member

I’m pretty dubious about CBD drinks and the like but there are people who have MS who use CBD oil and say it helps them (they say it helps with things like tremors). Sativex is also a spray CBD which can be obtained on the NHS in limited circumstances so there must be something to it, albeit limited in what it can help with.

russianbob
    Free Member

Cheers. I suspected as much but thought I’d ask anyway.

Northwind

Decided to give it another try, with a tongue spray this time. Does **** all as far as I can tell. Not to say it’s not having an effect but if it is it’s within the margins of error.

Bazz

In the last couple of weeks i’ve started using a product called “Ceremonial hemp” from a company called Spirit of hemp. It is just very finely powdered whole hemp, no extract or anything, you just mix a quarter teaspoon (about 0.5g) into warm milk and have it as a drink, I find it does indeed relax me and i’ve had some of the best nights sleep in a very long time since using it, so placebo or not it’s worth it just for the sleep quality.

sweepy
    Free Member

My sister is a Brexit loving anti vaxxer, she swears by the effects of CBD oil- says it stops joint pain that returns if she stops taking it. She also smokes between 2-4 ounces of high grade weed a month and probably hasn’t had a day off in years.
    I can’t understand how all the CBD in what she smokes isn’t having an effect but the oil is!

doris5000

She also smokes between 2-4 ounces of high grade weed a month

God on a quad, that’s some serious intake! She must have a decent job to pay for that…

sweepy
    Free Member

Yes! I honestly think if I saw her without a pipe in her face I wouldn’t recognise her🙂

BadlyWiredDog

I tried using CBD oil during long covid. I can’t say that it seemed to do much, but my system was so haywire that I doubt anything would. Whoop, the fitness band people, recently did a post on whether CBD oil improved sleep among their users, from memory the answer was yes, but by a very moderate amount:

https://www.whoop.com/thelocker/cbd-affects-sleep-heart-rate-hrv/

pedlad

Just be aware that CDB may not be totally “safe” if your job is one that involves random or for cause drug testing. A UK toxicology lab did some testing of the non-regulated CDB products that are knocking around and a good number of them had reasonable amounts of THC in them, despite stating otherwise. Possibly enough to create a postive test result.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m now taking 5mg every morning, as a pick-me-up. It’s not helping my joints, but it certainly is helping with Long COVID fatigue and brain fog.

‘Certainly’?

Whoop, the fitness band people, recently did a post on whether CBD oil improved sleep among their users

A non-randomised, non-blinded anecdote. Cynically, I could suggest it’s been written to shill wrist-thingies to susceptible individuals.

so placebo or not it’s worth it just for the sleep quality.

I can’t argue with that.

P-Jay
    Free Member

My 2p, I started taking it a few years ago I think, back when it was the latest Snake Oil wonder substance.

It sort of did something… but not much.

I get a far better, more noticable effect from plain old fish oil tablets you can buy in most supermarkets for a few quid.

doris5000

‘Certainly’?

Without any hint of doubt. I have been really, REALLY struggling with fatigue and brain fog for over 2 years. My step count is up about 20% since I started taking CBD in the mornings, and my head feels clearer. I am still way down on ‘normal’ pre-COVID energy levels, so it’s definitely not a cure, but it has been a very welcome boost.

alric
    Free Member

I tried some, hoping it would help with sleep, but it did nothing
    But weed, last time I tried it got my brain going faster and couldnt sleep.
    From what I recall **** black etc helped me sleep
    So I dont understand, is it sativa and indica(?) that make the differences there, or other factors?
    I met some people that like to ride stoned but couldnt understand why/how.
    Is it just me?

aide

@alric

Sativa is the one that makes you lively, buzzy…

India is the one that makes you sedate, relax…

Don’t ask me how I know. 😜

footflaps

or other factors?

Not everyone responds the same way to every drug…

mattyfez

The over the counter CBD in the UK is very low concentration and costs a fortune… It might help with some things to some extent but I’d imagine it’s very limited.

BadlyWiredDog

A non-randomised, non-blinded anecdote. Cynically, I could suggest it’s been written to shill wrist-thingies to susceptible individuals.

Oh, I had no idea. I thought their motive was pure altruism. You’ll be telling me that adverts are designed to sell things next 😉

myti
    Free Member

I get a 22% cbd hash which I eat and it helps me with monthly pains and mild aches and definitely helps me sleep. I used to take a lot of ibuprofen to cope with the monthlies but it caused stomach issues and I thought I’d give it a try. Not taken any other pain killer for that type of pain since. Though I do find paracetamol works better for a headache. It is crucial to find a good broad spectrum source with a guaranteed amount of cbd. I go for the hash rather than oil as it’s cheaper and has the full spectrum of hemp compounds rather than just the cbd isolate. I suspect that the cbd on it’s own isn’t as effective.

Futureboy77

I was curious about it too. Tried some high concentrate CBD flower. It was nice, I felt chilled out without feeling stoned and I got a good sleep. I enjoyed it enough to try it for a while, but it’s not life changing. That said, I’m pretty pain free in general.

Just be aware that CDB may not be totally “safe” if your job is one that involves random or for cause drug testing.

The place I bought from provided testing certificates which showed the low THC content and anecdotally, I’ve been tested without issue.

steve-g
    Free Member

I developed rheumatoid arthritis as a covid side effect and tried eating some of the CBD gummies in the hope it would help my joints. The joint issues are so up and down its impossible to say with any certainty if the CBD had any effect on them, I don’t believe it did, but I did sleep noticeably better when I took them.

Since I ran out I’ve not bought anymore as they are not worth the cost for the sleep thing alone

jkomo

Hi all, how is everyone doing on the old cbd. Has anyone got a good source?
    Popped into Holland and Barret and by crikey it’s expensive.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I can’t understand how all the CBD in what she smokes isn’t having an effect but the oil is!

Well a possible point is that lots of the strong weed has been bred to reduce the CBD and up the THC a “older” non skunk style weed is more balanced. I don’t know the state of things now but last time I bought weed (over 15 years a go) it was hard to get something that wasn’t super strong THC laden skunk.

She might also be talking shit.

doris5000

I developed rheumatoid arthritis as a covid side effect and tried eating some of the CBD gummies in the hope it would help my joints. The joint issues are so up and down its impossible to say with any certainty if the CBD had any effect on them, I don’t believe it did, but I did sleep noticeably better when I took them.

@steve-g
    how are you getting on with the arthritis? Speaking as another Long COVID rheumatology patient! Just interested to know if you’re improving and what helped.

I’m on some hardcore anti inflammatories which are helping. As is yoga.

(in reference to my post about CBD above, once I started on the anti-inflammatories, I sacked off the CBD, as they were far more effective for the brain fog)

dyna-ti

Don’t ask me how I know.

I won’t. Because you’d know its actually spelled Indica.

Apparently 😛

steve-g
    Free Member

@doris5000 doing great now. I had a couple of years taking methotrexate and Naproxen which did sort of fix the joint symptoms to a point but at an enormous side effect cost. Felt sick half the week, the naproxen damaged my kidneys, the MTX damaged my liver, and the omeprazole I had to take to handle the naproxen has done something to my stomach that means I’ll need to take that all the time now even though I’m off the naproxen.

I got put onto Humira in the end about 6 months ago and so far so good. Seems to have completely fixed the issues with my joints and with no real side effects aside from being a bit sleepy for 18 hours after taking it which is once a fortnight

doris5000

and the omeprazole I had to take to handle the naproxen has done something to my stomach that means I’ll need to take that all the time now even though I’m off the naproxen.

Argh FFS I’ve been taking Omeprazole daily for the last 4 months! I thought it was supposed to protect the stomach?!

I got put onto Humira in the end about 6 months ago and so far so good. Seems to have completely fixed the issues with my joints and with no real side effects aside from being a bit sleepy for 18 hours after taking it which is once a fortnight

That’s interesting. I’ve found etoricoxib + omeprazole has kept my symptoms down to ‘liveable-with’ (so long as I keep up daily yoga). But biologics are definitely on the horizon if necessary. Good to know it’s working for you!

myti
    Free Member

Still using CBD hash as a pain killer and sleep aid for period pain. I order online from Hemp elf or the CBD centre.

steve-g
    Free Member

The omeprazole was to stop my stomach from producing too much acid while on the anti inflamatories yes, but then when I stopped taking them I found I was getting really bad acid reflux / heartburn type symptoms. Its like the omeprazone broke my bodies equilibrium and I’ll now produce too much acid, the Dr’s answer was a repeat prescription of omeprazole to take from now on.

tjagain

Sativa is the one that makes you lively, buzzy…

Depends very much on the person.  If you have any ADHD you end up jumping around after either

BadlyWiredDog

The omeprazole was to stop my stomach from producing too much acid while on the anti inflamatories yes, but then when I stopped taking them I found I was getting really bad acid reflux / heartburn type symptoms. Its like the omeprazone broke my bodies equilibrium and I’ll now produce too much acid, the Dr’s answer was a repeat prescription of omeprazole to take from now on.

I’m not sure if your doctor told you this, but there’s often a rebound effect when you stop taking PPIs like omeprazole and similar, when the body overcompensates by producing more acid temporarily. According to the NHS this can last for about two weeks. They’re also not good for you in the long term, screw up your body’s ability to absorb vitamin B12 among other things. Maybe worth looking into in case you’re dealing with a temporary issue.

cinnamon_girl

Good post BWD. Slippery elm powder can be helpful, simply add some warm water to make a paste and it’s soothing. Decent quality powder available from Napiers in Scotland, not cheap but good stuff and you only need a teaspoon.

steve-g
    Free Member

It had been about 4 months off the omeprazole when I asked the doctor so I think I’m stuck with it. Currently feel I need to take one every 3 or so days. Will look into other ways to help ween myself off it, didn’t know about the vitamin B12 thing

somafunk

Tried most of the cbd’s over the years including very expensive medical certified 1g full spectrum CBD with terpenes which did make a noticeable difference to my muscle spasms due to spms but they necessitated taking 300mg+ per day which is not financially possible, I’d rather use old fashioned weed (medicinal certified) as below, 7g for a reasonable cost sent by mates from Canada. Also take prescription sativex at 12 sprays/day which works at approx 25mg THC/25mg CBD.

There’s something very satisfying bout an old fashioned bit of weed in a vaporiser or a joint though, always hits the spot.

blokeuptheroad

Thread resurrection. I’ve just bought some on impulse (pic below) in the Aldi ‘aisle of dreams’ of all places. £9.99, no idea how that compares price wise? I’ve never tried it before and tbh am quite sceptical of the seemingly extravagant claims made for it.  Most of those I’ve met personally who swear by it, are also impressed by homeopathy, healing crystals and other assorted woo woo.

However, I’m prepared to give it a go. I’ve been suffering from very poor sleep for years on and off and it’s got a lot worse in the last few months. More recently I’ve had lower back pain which is worse in the morning.  I realise these are common problems with a myriad of potential causes, but I’ve tried just about everything else for my sleep problem. I’m less concerned about back pain, as I’ve resolved it in the past by strengthening it in the gym, which I’m working on again. Good sleep though has been so elusive and is having such a debilitating effect, that I’m prepared to try anything within reason. I’ll let you know in a few weeks if I get any benefit from it.

TiRed

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2799017

Cannabinoid placebo is a decent pain reliever, regardless of route of administration. If it’s OTC then it will likely be placebo-like. That doesn’t mean it’s not doing SOMETHING, but that something need not be pharmacology.

In epilepsy, the dose of THC needed to reduce seizures by 50% is about 5-8 mg/kg. Typical therapeutic dose is closer to 800 mg of CBD. That’s not the oil or extract, that’s the raw ingredient. Now look at the concentration in whatever you are taking as a %.

blokeuptheroad

I’ll let you know in a few weeks if I get any benefit from it.

Well, Mr and Mrs Bloke have been taking it morning and evening for 10 days or so. It’s all gone, we won’t be getting any more.  Absolutely no noticeable effects whatsoever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.