Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Cattle grid hedgehog ramps. Any instructions ?
  • Found a hedgehog trapped in a cattle grid recently.
    Pulled it out and put it, still curled up, on the bank a few metres from the road.
    Mrs MTG checked a couple of hours later and it was gone, hopefully it had uncurled and walked off, not been eaten.

I know it’s a common problem, hedgehogs and cattle grids, and I know they are good climbers, but are there instructions anywhere for building a ramp. Maximum steepness, minimum width, that sort of thing.
    Would a thick stick wedged at an angle do, or do they need a proper plank with treads on it ?

wwaswas

Can you not make it interesting for them?

I’d imagine anything with a gentle slope that’s not a slick surface will be fine. Even a pile of bricks.

psling
    Free Member

I’d found that page, psling, and it mentions 20 degrees and 8″ wide
    I’m sure I’ve heard of hedgehogs climbing walls and fences to get from one garden to another, so wondered if it really needs to be that good.
    Would a 2″ diameter stick propped at 45 degrees do, or should I make something a bit better ?

psling
    Free Member

Maybe something like a bit of sawn 4 x 2 (100 x 50) wedged in at as shallow an angle as possible; just that little bit wider and a flatter surface.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Cattle grid hedgehog ramps. Any instructions ?’ is closed to new replies.