Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Casssette Longevity XT M8000 11-6n 46 -v- SRAM XG1150 10-42
  • mudfish

Hi all,
    I am on 11 speed, Shimano XTR shifter XT mech SRAM XII cassette and chains.
    Love it.Quite a big upgrade for me from 10 speed and an oneup 42 adaptor .
    The mud is coming (claggy near Brighton too) and I’d prefer not to run my “Gucci” XII cassette through too much of that

I also like the idea of a lower low end so that means the 11-2 46 XT tempts
    but its top 2 cogs are alloy. Do they wear like hell?
    Is the SRAM XG1150 10-42 just a better product? does it last a lot longer?

I have both freehub bodies for my Hope wheels.

XG1150 10-42 £80 597 g
    XT11 11-46 £60 (+9.5%) 450g [but top 2 cogs are alloy]

I guess it may be worth using an XXI chain even through the crap as its claimed to be the hardest wearing.

thanks lots

argee

Have the XT x 2 and the 1150 x 1, much prefer the 1150, easier to clean and appears to be harder wearing as well, plus less messing about removing it from the freehub as the XD doesn’t get chewed up over and over and the 1150 is one piece, so again, easier to take off and clean up properly.

The biggest winning factor though is looks, the 1150 looks a hell of a lot better!

fivealive

I have found in sandy conditions that the XT 11-42 totally outlasts SRAMS 1175 cassettes (in 1×11). I have tried three chains (KMC X11EL, XX1 and XTR chain), X11 wore quickly, XX1 chain appears more durable so far, XTR chain and SRAM cassette I couldn’t get shifting right. I always replace chain at 0.5 wear rate.

fivealive

The biggest winning factor though is looks, the 1150 looks a hell of a lot better!

this is true however!

chakaping
    Free Member

The 10-42 SRAM is a better product for sure, just depends if you can get a low enough gear out of it. I switched to a direct mount chainring to run a 28t for that purpose.

Shame Sram won’t do a 10-46t or bigger version, then I’d have no need for 12sp at all.

But then they probably realise that.

trustysteed

I’ve used several XTR M9000 11-40, SRAM XG1195 10-42, and Hope 10-40 cassettes over the last few years. I clock-up about 11k miles per year, so I’ve been through a few of each.

Of the 3 above, the SRAM is definitely the hardest wearing, by quite a margin. The Hope is the least-hardest wearing, also by quite a margin. I can get 4-5 months use (4.5k miles) out of the SRAM, and 3 months (almost 3k miles) out of the Hope. The XTR sits comfortably inbetween.

I always use Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed chains, for all of the 3 cassettes above. I find that SRAM chains snap too easily. They also stretch excessively.

Regarding excessive wear of the largest (aluminium) sprocket, you should only use it in exceptional cases anyway. Anybody finding themselves using it too often needs to reassess their chainring size and go down a couple of teeth if necessary.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The big alloy cogs on XT cassettes wear very quickly. Shane as the rest of the cassette wears fine.

Sunrace MX8 11-46 cassettes are a good alternative. The big alloy cog must be made of a tougher aluminium and they last a long time. They’re cheaper too. Obviously you’d need a new freehub though.

scotroutes

Aye, if only there was a way of adjusting the gear range so that the alloy sprockets didn’t have to be used so often, while still allowing for a decent top-end. That would likely mean some way of adjusting the front sprocket size, preferably whilst in motion. Some sort of handlebar-attached lever would make that adjustment quite simple.

scruff
    Free Member

trustysteed

Do the Campag chains work well with Shimnao / Sram cassettes? I’ve always bought whatever hald decent KMC / Shimano / SRAM is on sale and never considered Campag.

honourablegeorge

SRAM cassette generally lighter and more durable – GX level SRAM is lighter than XT

10-42 and 11-46 have basically the same range (the 10-42 has ever-so-slightly more – 420% versus 418%) – basically the range you gain at one end you lose at the other.

What chainring do you have up frony? Stepping down a 32 to a 30 would give you extra range, and you can keep the more durable and lighter SRAM cassette, and get your lower gear that way.

whitestone
    Free Member

Stepping down a 32 to a 30 would give you extra range

Err, no it won’t! It moves the whole range down by about 7%.

trustysteed

scruff

Yes, they work perfectly. Don’t fall for any “matching brands” nonsense. My current setup is a Hope 36T narrow-wide chainring, an SRAM XG1195 cassette 10-42, and a Campagnolo chorus 11-speed chain. They work harmoniously together.

I find Campag chains to be very high quality, although they are a bit more expensive.

honourablegeorge

whitestone

Err, no it won’t! It moves the whole range down by about 7%.

🙂 – I made a mess of editing that post – I did mean that the OP can get his lower gear that way, as opposed to more range/

whitestone
    Free Member

@honourablegeorge – fair enough, there were a lot of OCD and pedant klaxons going off in my head at that!

mudfish

Thanks guys
    Good advice.
    Always good to know of others experience.
    It’s reading like XT cassettes are cheese the lower 2 gears
    So yeah stick with SRAM and get a 30 or 28 chainring. I did that last year with XT10s (11-42 oneup) the 28 kill high speed hardpack but hey. Winters all about the slop. I normally use a 34 oval and stand a lot but standings not ideal on slippy climbs. Hence the need for more range.
    Did I get the weights wrong:

XG1150 10-42 597 g
    XT11 11-46 450g

Thx
    Neil

molgrips
    Free Member

They aren’t cheese. Trusty steed says between 3k and 4.5k miles which is pretty damn good. 2 years’ worth of MTB for many people.

I’ve had my 46 for 6 months or so, nothing wrong with it. The outer sprockets may be alloy but they are big, and bigger sprockets last longer than small ones. Keep an eye on your chain and the cassette will last ages.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Neil, the XG1150 10 42 is around 400g. I have been using it for 18 months with a full XT M8000 groupset. The old 11sp medieval XT 11 42 cassette got worn very quickly. Looks like the Sram cassette should last twice as long if not more. I also switched to a Sram mid range chain.
    Shifting has improved, it is lighter and probably costs less per mile so an absolute no brainer for me.

honourablegeorge

The Germans list the 1150 cassette at 394 g. higher weights for all the XTs: 11-40 : 411 g, 11-42 : 434 g, 11-46 : 437 g

https://www.bike-components.de/en/SRAM/XG-1150-11-speed-Cassette-p43639/

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/XT-CS-M8000-11-speed-Cassette-p43966/

Changing the chainring should be a bit cheaper than changing cassette too.

(BTW – hello Neil, good to hear you’re back riding again)

snotrag

The 11 speed XG 1150 is definitely the ‘sweet spot’ for me in terms of MTB casettes. I have used them as part of a full GX gorupset, but currently run one matched with ‘old’ 11 speed XTR. This gives impeccable shifting, a perfectly big enough range, light weight, and they last ages way longer than the 11speed Shimano offerings.

10-42 Cassette along with 28 tooth chainring gives a low enough gear for climbing, not that far off usual EAGLE gearing, and I very rarely spin out – it takes me to around 25mph which is fast enough for a MTB in my eyes.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Same. A good 11sp alternative to Eagle.

mudfish

Thanks guys.
    Looks like SRAM wins. I have anew one to go on hence the comparison questions.
    Thought my weights were wrong and year better cleaning plus better wear as it’s all steel cogs wins.

I already have a little worn 28 AbsBlack oval chainring so that all great. I love their ovals. 28s gonna be FAR easier that 34 to pedal too. I rarely sit to pedal. Hence the 34 for Summer.

Yeah, Hi Honourable George.
    Hope you’re still enjoying my Geometron G16 my friend. I am loving the XLongest G1 in beautiful black.
    Neil

mudfish

The XG1150 10-42 is going well in local clay and North Downs sandyness. It’s hard tell the difference in use between it and the super spendy XX1 10-42 in case anyone’s wondering.
    Happy trails guys.

Akers

Good to hear some positive real world experience with this setup. I’ve recently ordered a XG1150 10-42 cassette, PC-X1 chain and Absolute Black 28T Oval chainring to replace a worn XT 11-46 cassette, chain and 32t chainring. Luckily my wheel came wit both freehubs.
    I’m looking forward to better gear spacing, shorter chain, lower weight, better clearance and improved wear.

snotrag

Thats a very close setup to what I have ended up at, and very happy with it.

I’ve done full GX, full XT, and now settled on this mix –

XG1150 (GX) Sram cassette, gets you the lovely 10t cog. Then Shimano shifter+mech (XTR here, was cheap at CRC when the 12sp XTR was released).

Matched with an Absolute Black 28tooth oval ring.

Loads of ground clearance, shortest possible chain, lightweight for the money, and the cassette lasts very very well (I’m on nubmer 2 so far).

I reckon its the price/perfomance sweet spot if your staying with 11 speed (which I also reccomend!).

There are no isses with spinning out for me evben with a 28tooth – its a 30+lb trail bike, nigh on 25mph on tarmac is plenty fast enough thank you.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I have the exact same gearing and set up all being XT M8000 and North Shore Bille 28t. It’s been brilliant for a year or so.

petercook80
    Free Member

Ive been running XT M8000 cassette (11-42) with a OneUp 47T extenter (and a 30t XT chainring). Its working very well and lasting well. I’ve also found that Shimano XTR chains work best they last better than XT (and lower) chains and shifting and noise is quieter even when muddy.

Dont know if that helps

P-Jay
    Free Member

They were for me, I was murdering M8000 cassettes in 6 months (600K or so) of wet, sandy Welsh TC riding. my GX Cassette seems barely worn in 1400k.

mudfish

Thanks for all the feedback

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Casssette Longevity XT M8000 11-6n 46 -v- SRAM XG1150 10-42’ is closed to new replies.