Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Carrying phone on shorter rides- where best to put it?
  • j.richards
    Free Member

Most of the riding I do is pretty short (under 2 hours like most people in the UK) and I’m never sure where to put my phone. I don’t like wearing a camelbak and most of my tools/spares are on the obvious places on the bike. Anyone got any suggestions?

Come from a roadcycling background and the jersey pockets seem to be the perfect place for a phone but this doesn’t seem to be very common with mtb gear.

Jacket pockets feel uncomfy when pedalling and regular pockets on shorts don’t feel secure enough along with it being a vulnerable place if I crash.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Wear a roady type jersey and bang it in your back pocket

alan1977
    Free Member

mine is in my shorts/trouser pocket.. usually theres a specific phone pocket which holds it snug..i put it screen to leg

scuttler

Wear a roady jersey x 2

Stick it in a Spigen Case and put it in your main shorts pocket (I’ve done this for years and it never slid out or got ragged in a crash)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

put it in your main shorts pocket (I’ve done this for years and it never slid out or got ragged in a crash)

I did it once and it got ragged in a crash.

I don’t suppose nevis DH was the right place to try it for the first time.

I’d third the roadie jersey, or I bought a very cheap dinky bum bag, big enough for phone, card, a snack bar or two and a face mask but not much else.

ayjaydoubleyou

Shorts/trouser pocket for me.

It sits pretty much on top of my thigh rather than to the side if that makes sense, so not really in danger from a crash. You can see many of the semi-pro guys (i.e. the ones who wont have a mechanic and physio meeting them at the finish line) at a downhill world cup doing the same and they crash constantly.

If it makes any difference, I prefer my riding shorts and trousers to be quite tight fitting (not the “baggies” of the early 2000’s) and it goes on the side of my trailing leg, purely because thats the side I always have my phone.

butcher

Plenty of MTB jerseys with pockets. Endura humvee for one. All of mine have pockets. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Short pockets is very dependent on fit. There’s a small margin between fine and really annoying.

tonyd

Jersey pocket, usually in a ziploc bag to avoid too much grit (I have a nice spangly case for road rides but don’t want it ruined on the MTB!)

MoreCashThanDash

I think Rapha have just released a bumbag specifically to serve the purpose for people who don’t own jerseys with pockets 😎

crosshair
    Free Member

I always put mine in a jersey pocket. Last week I bought a new rainproof Castelli one and it caused my iphone 11 to fill with condensation (but I didn’t realise at the time that’s what caused it)!
    In the meantime I’m borrowing the wife’s old iPhone 11. Did a long (dry) ride on Sunday and sure enough it’s caused this phone to do exactly the same thing 😬

It must cook it in sweat or something.

Will have to put it in a ziplock bag. I’d be tempted by a quadlock for the bars if they weren’t so dear.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If I am not wearing a road jersey I use a runner’s belt thing like this:

I use something very much like this

Evil empire link

j.richards
    Free Member

yeah i’ve found some of the thin phone wallets from some road brands to be pretty crap, almost seems like pot luck as my friend has an identical one to me and never had an issue.

docgeoffyjones

Prison pocket?

Endura make Singletrack bib shorts with pockets on the back, they’re rather splendid.

intheborders
    Free Member

Gravel and HT both have frame bags, and on the FS I’ll wear a waist bag.

I never carry the phone, chances are when you crash and break it, you’ll need it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I never carry the phone, chances are when you crash and break it, you’ll need it.

So now when you crash and need it you don’t have it? Not sure I see the improvement here 😂

p7eaven
    Free Member

MTBing/on MTB it goes in small under-top-tube bag or in pocket of my Camelbak Lobo (whichever I feel like carrying on the day). P

In the pocket of a bar-bag on road bike/tourer. Looking soon at mounting on bars for GPS/maps reasons

Yak

Velopac then in a roadie jersey pocket.

I have an old, cracked Galaxy S9 with a PAYG sim as my ride phone, in a suitable case.

hardtailonly

Jersey pocket, or bum bag.

andrewh
    Free Member

Roadie Jersey holds telephone, credit card, waterproof and a couple of Mars bars

slowol

If no pockets then a runners belt thingy (as above). I have an older version of this:
    https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ulp28/ultimate-performance-titan-runners-pack-~-ss22/?awc=1074_1649177726_6c5576778de6ae8d6566f56cc76e30ac&utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=Awin&utm_campaign=78888
    Fits phone, card, key and not much else. Also useful for running which I originally bought it for.

Google show’s that there’s a whole world of these things made for runners:
    https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/gear/g29396436/best-running-belts/

ads678

TBH I’ve never had a problem with my phone in my pocket.

If I’m carrying a bag, I’ll put it in there but otherwise just stick in my shorts pocket. I don’t have a fancy phone though, so maybe I don’t care as much as iRiders.

matt_outandabout

I have an old, cracked Galaxy S9 with a PAYG sim as my ride phone, in a suitable case

^ this, with work issue / now retired, Moto G.
    Which is then put in the small frame bag which also has pump, tube, tools, rear light and buff.

wheelsonfire1

@j.richards I’ve sent you a direct message

don_biscotti

I use a little runners belt. It fits my phone, wallet, keys and a Snickers. Don’t even know it’s there!

rOcKeTdOg

In the mini frame bag

scuttler

You get loads better photos when your phone isn’t in your bag.

konanige

In your shorts pocket, then you can whip out for instabangers innit!

zerocool

If I don’t have a bag on then it just goes in my shorts pocket. Never broke one yet

peekay

It fits my phone, wallet, keys and a Snickers.

Surely your Snickers must melt from body heat?!

mandog

Rapha Cargo cycling shorts worn underneath your mtb shorts. You forget the phone is there.

escrs
    Free Member

Shorts trouser pocket for me

Pocket must have a zip, phone is kept in a neoprene pouch, have the screen facing my thigh and then my wallet rests against the back of the phone (wallet is very thin, i only carry 3 bank/credit cards, no cash etc..)

Never damaged a phone yet and ive come off quite few times and rolled down hills etc…

jamesoz

I have an old, cracked Galaxy S9 with a PAYG sim as my ride phone, in a suitable case

^ this, with work issue / now retired, Moto G.
    Which is then put in the small frame bag which also has pump, tube, tools, rear light and buff

Indeed. Old iPhone SE in a cheap case with stick on screen protector, so small it’s not annoying or particularly vulnerable in any pocket.

ElShalimo

This guy has the answer

colournoise

2020 08 31 bike 087 03

reeksy

In my shorts in an Evoc phone case. Works a dream. Except this morning when i couldn’t find the case in the dark anywhere … and then found it on the car bonnet when i finished the ride.

chakaping
    Free Member

put it in your main shorts pocket (I’ve done this for years and it never slid out or got ragged in a crash)

I did it once and it got ragged in a crash.

I always put mine in my hip pocket, never lost or smashed it – but sometimes a bit of mud gets in with it and I have to clear out the charging port.

THE ONE TIME that I tried to be sensible and put it in my backpack, I went OTB and my bike landed on my back and smashed the phone screen (and bent a Mini-Morph pump).

pampmyride
    Free Member

Use small cheap phone. Mount on bars. job done…..
    Or in yer bag!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.