Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Cardio Exercise Equipment
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve just broken my elliptical trainer again and not going through the expense of repairing it due to the poor build quality (Nordic Track) so I’m looking for another machine.

What is recommended/most effective at less than £1000, must be low impact so no treadmills?

I know I can go for a bike ride but often only have the time on a weekend where as I can go in the garage for as long as I’ve got and at whatever time I get back.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Concept 2 rower.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Have you got a kettlebell?

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve got dumbbells already and really looking for something just for cardio.

I’ve looked at Waterrowers and quite like the idea of plugging it into a computer for a training partner or race with other users over the internet. Does the Concept 2 do similar?

donsimon
    Free Member

Concept 2 rower, I love them and can sit on them for hours*
    *not hours, but a bloody long time.

Raindog
    Free Member

Osteopaths go pale when I mention rowing. If you have a bad back I would take proper advice before buying a rower.

craigxxl
    Free Member

How noisy are the Concept rowers?

craigxxl
    Free Member

My back is fine but ankle is weak hence low impact.

falkirk-mark

A good turbo trainer and spend the rest on a big telly in the garage 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

Osteopaths, who don’t know how to row correctly, go pale when I mention rowing.

Concepts used to be quite noisy, I don’t know about now. Water rower might be less noisy.

Jamie
    Free Member

Turbo + Big Telly + Sutterfest or similar.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

How much would a watt bike cost?

Raindog
    Free Member

Osteopaths, who don’t know how to row correctly, go pale when I mention rowing.

How often do you see someone rowing correctly ? Personally almost everyone I see using a rowing machine has poor technique, hence the understandable concern.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve had a turbo trainer before and hated it, TV in the garage sounds good though.

donsimon
    Free Member

hence the understandable concern.

Just goes to show that there are as many badly trained osteopaths as leisure centre oarsmen/women. 😉

Radioman

I have and recommend a Schwinn Spinning Bike(mine is the IC Elite about £750)…solid unbreakable Gym quality. Its a simple solid steel gym spinning bike with no flimsy bits or cheapo electronics to break.

All I have upgraded are the pedals.

Combine it with a decent cooling fan for you, a heart monitor, and music and an indoor workout isn’t too bad.

As its a proper solid spinning bike (not some flimsy turbo contraption!) you can also do arm presses and move around as you pedal to get a better work-out.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

20 lunges
    20 tricep dips
    20 deep squats
    20 press ups
    20 sit ups
    10 burpees
    30 second plank

5 times through no rest period, good cardio, strength and stamina

dr_death
    Free Member

If I had the room I’d get a Concept 2

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

1K – Join your local gym and rip the arse out of their CV equipment. Gives you variety: rowers, cross trainer, recumbent bike & stepper without getting the inevitable boredom of one cardio machine workout and potentially costly repairs as experienced above. 12months membership £400 – plenty left for that TV…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I thought I would giving rowing machines a go, booked a personal trainer to check my form and made sure I rowed correctly (legs then pull, etc) but still managed to hurt my piriformis, giving me sciatica type pains and lots of treatment until I figured out what it really was.

So check the rowing before committing to buying a machine – maybe it was my bony arse that wasn’t compatible!

Also the water rowers are suppossed to be safer as they catch earlier and are more like real rowing, plus some people say the water movement/sound is very calming.

otoh the concepts allow you to compete with other people round the world, so might be better for goals-based training.

The best thing I tried was an exercise bike which used a bike air fan as the front wheel to give resistence, with the handlebars as seperate bars that hinged down to the pedals, so they moved a bit like a cross trainer and as they were linked to the pedals you would work them as well. Bloody excellent cv workout but I don’t see them around anymore.

12months membership £400 – plenty left for that TV…

depends where you live…

dewydd
    Free Member

the waterrower is a good machine and may be better than a concept 2 for home use. I’ve owned a waterrower for around 2 years and find it smoother and a good bit quieter in use than the c2 – it’s also easier to store if space is at a premium.
    If you are used to the c2 you will find that the waterrower feels a bit strange at first as you are sat lower in relation to the foot plates but you soon get used to it. Comparing the two machines, my own experience is that the waterrower is better suited to longer sessions (60 – 90mins) and the c2 better suited for shorter, more intense use.
    Bought mine as an ex hire machine from Rowhire (via ebay). It came fully serviced and with a short warranty for just over half the price of a new machine.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

One of those new turbo trainers that allows for side to side movement of the bike or a Concept2.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve joined gyms before but found it was either shut when I had time use it or spent more time travelling to the gym only to wait to get on a machine as groups tend to tag team a machine that it became a waste of money. If I had more time during the week it wouldn’t be a problem.

I’m thinking about a rower now with everything that people have said. I was looking at the WaterRower but now the Concept 2 has thrown a spanner in the works. Both have their pros and cons with the Concept 2 having a loyal fan base and used at competition level but the WaterRower offering quiteness and a more realistic stroke. Both have comparable build quality and spares availability. I guess I’ll have to try them out.

CaptJon
    Free Member

You can get Concept 2s on HP.

molgrips
    Free Member

You could get a nice for that, they are good cardio workouts 🙂

craigxxl
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

You could get a nice for that, they are good cardio workouts

Nice women? I think the wife would complain.

Jamie
    Free Member

You could get a nice for that, they are good cardio workouts

?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve had a turbo trainer before and hated it

I hate mine too. But that’s because (when I use it, ahem) it flaming crucifies me.

Interval training and you won’t have time to hate it – you’ll be too busy trying not to be sick….

molgrips
    Free Member

Dammit, that’ll teach me to read my posts properly after I post 🙂

A nice bike, I meant.

Gary_M
    Free Member

craigxxl I have an eleptical trainer for sale at the moment. It’s a bremshey and cost over £500 new, very little use. Would sell for £250 if you’re interested. Its at my father in laws in Yorkshire at the moment.

ourmaninthenorth

Osteopaths go pale when I mention rowing.

Presumably because they can’t sell any of their snake oil?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Gary, cheers for the offer but I’ve gone with the recommendations and bought a Concept 2 D with PM4 monitor for £600 in as new condition.

tonyg2003

I’ve got a turbo trainer and a Concept II. The turbo is good got improving spinning but hard to get HR high up on. The Concept II is good for high intensity excercise but hard to work correctly. As an ex rower I have (I think) good technique but I see lots of people with poor technique that I an see causing problems

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I like the sound a concept 2 makes, it’s soothing almost as nice as a hope 2 hub. If you go fir one I advise getting 2 big mirrors also, one at the front one at the side to check your form. I got 2 huge ones from a clothes shop that was having a refit for £5 each.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Presumably because they can’t sell any of their snake oil?

my osteo uses tiger balm – what advantages does snake oil have – less skin irritation, better smelling, easier to rub in?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Cardio Exercise Equipment’ is closed to new replies.