Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Carbon Shoe Sole Protectors (DIY/Anything available?)
  • joeydeacon
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some Exustar shoes which have a carbon sole, and was going to use MTB SPDs with them.

However my other Diadora shoes all came with a sole protector to fit between the cleat and the shoe so the pedal (Shimano M520s) didn’t gouge into the shoe – I’m not sure Crank Bros Shoe Shields will cover enough of the sole to prevent this – are there any alternatives?

Or is it best to DIY – I can buy a sheet of 0.9mm stainless steel sheet for about £4 on eBay?

Thanks in advance.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Helicopter tape?

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Would Helicopter tape be tough enough? As I guess it’s not like cable rub – the steel pedal / carbon sole would (I presume) have a fair amount of my weight on it?

njee20
    Free Member

I use Shoe Shields (to good effect), it’s exactly what they’re designed for, the wear comes in the area immediately surrounding the cleat, not from the extremities of the pedals, so you don’t need huge coverage.

whytetrash

Dont do it…serrations on the cleats are designed to lock into the sole for a reason buddy! If you put a plate between the cleats and carbon there’s a chance the cleats will twist rather than disengage when you try to unclip …in traffic this might not end well!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Shoe Sole Protectors (DIY/Anything available?)’ is closed to new replies.