Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Carbon Paranoia
  • mintimperial

Today I had a new bike delivered from one of those cheap German retailers. It’s got a carbon fibre frame, the first one I’ve ever bought. Although I have quite a few CF parts on other bikes, and none of them have died on me yet, I’ve no personal experience of CF frames, so I’m asking you lot for advice.

The problem is that the box the bike came in had two pretty big holes in it. I wasn’t in when it was delivered, so it’s been signed for. One of the holes I think is just where the handle-hole thingy got torn, but looking at the other one it appears that something fairly pointy has hit the box at some point:

Looking at the frame where the hole in the box was there’s a very slight unevenness in the surface of the downtube. You can barely see it, I’d not have noticed it if I’d not been looking for damage next to the hole, and it’s actually raised up, not a dent. You might need to tilt your monitor or move your head a bit to see it, but the ‘feature’ in question is in the middle of the picture:

So, oh great and mighty STW hive mind, what do you think? Should I be contacting the seller and kicking off, or is it going to be ok to ride? What would you do? Pisstaking and useful advice equally welcome, go nuts… 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I build the bloody thing and go for a ride!!!

FFS, there’s not a mark on it!

mintimperial

That’s exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks! 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You will die. FACT.

Probably not from that, though.

mintimperial

Of course, if I do die from this frame randomly snapping half way down Holme Moss or something, I’m going to get my widow to come on here and make you all feel bad about it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Are you sure that’s a good idea?

A single lady? On here?

Oh, I say…!

argoose
    Free Member

Looks like a paint run to me

nickdavies

I was concerned when I built my first carbon frame after a couple of problems assembling it and what looked like some cracks inside the headtube, I built it and said i’d take it easy the first few outings and keep checking it.

Taking it easy lasted all of 10m of descent and I haven’t slowed down since… i’m still here 😉 New material paranoia. Does worry me every time a rock hits it though and the sound reminds you your firing down the side of a mountain clipped to a bit of plastic… 😯

If you have carbon paranoia you can watch this antidote: [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs[/video]

mintimperial

That looks like a fun job…

teasel
    Free Member

I see what you’re pointing out – that small raise. I guess, because it’s in-line with the damage to the box, your concern is understandable.

Is the damage on the top of the tube or the side facing the hole…?

mintimperial

It’s on the side facing the hole. You can just about see in the first pic that the cardboard round the tube has also been ripped a bit, so I think whatever went through the box at least made contact with the frame. The question in my mind is: how hard did it hit it?

aracer
    Free Member

Looks terminal to me. For a small fee I’ll take it off your hands for disposal.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Looks terminal to me. For a small fee I’ll take it off your hands for disposal.

As above, only I can collect – see you in 5? 😉

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

carbon also doesnt dent, if its going to break it’ll just snap, and if that happens you’ll get a lovely new one under warranty anyway, so use and abuse.

aracer
    Free Member

carbon also doesnt dent

You should come and have a look at the bottom of my carbon/kevlar kayak. No sign of any fractures, but it’s not quite as smooth as it once was.

teasel
    Free Member

I seem to remember reading something that (I think) claimed flicking with your finger can highlight damage if there is any; a dull tone if it’s stuffed or something. Again, I’m too tired to start hunting it down on the web but I (obviously) believe it’s out there.

Not 100% on this – just seems to be ringing bells…

mintimperial

Hmm. So I just looked up what teasel is talking about, and came up with this:

2. With a nickel or other coin, tap the part near any possible damage and places where the part is known to be in good condition (or use a similar part).
    3. Listen carefully for variations in sound, especially a hollow sound, “dead” tone, or any sound indicating that the part is not solid.

And when I tap along the down tube there’s a definite change in tone at the point where it looks like it got bashed. It’s only a tiny section, a couple of millimetres at most, but it’s definitely there, where the bump is, a “dead” sounding bit.

I think I’ll email the shop and see what they say.

marsdenman
    Free Member

I think I’ll email the shop and see what they say.

Best plan – the seed of doubt is strong in your mind. Be honest with them and, one would hope, they’ll see you right…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Paranoia’ is closed to new replies.