Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Homemade carbon full suspension frame build updates…
  • funkrodent

thestabiliser – Member
    How do you melt the foam out? With a heat gun, conducting rods or chemically? Can an idiot do this? I’m an idiot and I’d like to.

That’s one of the funniest posts I’ve read in ages! I also am an idiot, but not enough of one to in any way delude myself that I’m in any way capable of doing what Olive has done. Great work, it looks fantastic. Seriously impressed 😯

oliverracing

Part 14 is now done! – the frame is pretty much finished now with just a few niggles to sort before I can test it! All I need to do is build it up and source a shock pump!

-> –> —> Part 14 <— <– <-

easygirl

Are you going to actually risk riding it 🙂

hairyscary

I think the price of ‘Green Electrical Tape PLC’ shares will crash when the market learns your build is done 🙂

oliverracing

easygirl – yep and should be racing it hard!!! I hope to be testing it at afan a Easter weekend!

hairyscary – thanks for reminding me, I need to buy some more

mick_r

Nice work Oliver – your Carbon builds are a damn sight faster than my brazed steel.

Does steel and carbon work any better than aluminium and carbon or does it just corrode and de-bond rather than electrolytic problems?

As the pivot is so close to the bb shell, you could just weld them together as a sub assembly with a little stub of joining tube before wrapping – the bigger odd shaped metal lump might stop either of them coming loose?

rexated
    Free Member

Nice chainrings! If I’d realised beforehand that they were designated for such an epic build I would have happily donated them to you 8) BIke looks great, and I admire you for doing something that is so far beyond my wit and limited wisdom it beggars belief…. as others have indicated previously, ‘chapeau’.

oliverracing

mick_r -making the pivot and shell in one was one of the ideas I thought about, but I’m using an aluminium bb shell so welding to it would be tricky.

steel and carbon suffers the same issues as alu and carbon, but can also be combated with a later of fibreglass between the two.

As for the speed I’m working at, it’s currently my uni holidays so I’m able to spend most of my time on it and I would like to be able to ride in at afan next weekend!

rexated – thanks, but you gave me a decent deal anyway. 🙂 I definitely think the hardest bit is starting, and working out where to start!

oliverracing

Update 15 is here – The frame is now functionally finished and ready for testing once the rest of the parts have arrived!!!!

——->>>>>> Part 15 HERE <<<<<<——–

plus-one

F****ng bonkers !!!!! Love it mate look forward to updates 😀

RustyMac

Looking at the build the only thing that confuses me is the linkage beneath the top tube. What is the purpose of having this so long?

I would have thought you would have wanted the seat stays and the shock to be more in line to get transfer of the forces in a more direct way.

kind of like this yeti –

[edit] not that I know any better, just curious [/edit]

oliverracing

Rusty Mac – By changing the linkage angle and length and the angle of the shock you change the leverage ratio and whether the leverage ratio increases or decreases with travel – looking at the yeti it will decrease making a more linear feel to the shock. I was aiming for an increasing spring rate, so it will feel less linear and not blow through its travel easily and should have better small bump sensitivity.

I do think it looks a little long, but it is only 2mm longer than the one I had designed and was free, half the weight and probably stronger, so I decided to use it. I also think the small triangle size and huge downtube make it look even longer too.

Also – the Rocky Mountain Element uses a similar suspension geometry to my bike, but even more non linear than mine – being a 29er is looks a little more in proportion though.

Cheezpleez

Seriously impressed with your efforts. Can’t wait to hear a proper ride report.

RustyMac

Cool, cheers for the info, I know that the element was kind of your inspiration for the build.

Hope it all works out for you, it really is an epic build.

Things to lookout for that may help refine it or for v2, that I am sure you are aware of already. Shock tune and pivot bearings/bushes.

oliverracing

Cheezpleez – I hope to get a first ride report and hopefully some videos of the suspension in action up by mid week and if that goes well a report after 3 days riding at afan! 😯

Rusty Mac – I don’t intend on making a V2 bike as such, but more replace/redesign swingarms/sections as needed/wanted – I may also end up making a range of linkages to be able to vary the travel/spring rate. I have also looked at the shock tune for the current shock (rp23) and I guess it wont be optimal for the frame, but I intend to replace it with a properly tuned monarch xx when I have the money, as for the bearings – they are all standard sizes and easily replaceable, I also have about 20 spares of the nylon bushes I have used in the rear pivot so I’m not too fussed if they only last a couple of months!

RustyMac

Hey nice ideas, i am well impressed by it. looking forwards to further updates.

everyone
    Free Member

Oli you mad bastard! I definitely want to take her for a cheeky spin when you’ve given her the “almost definitely won’t crack and maim” test. I might even let you have a spin on the Ritchey 😛

bearnecessities

Again, just brilliant.

oliverracing

First ride report now done (or more first 2 rides) – all seems to be going well and it rides beautifully

———> RIDE REPORT HERE <——–

bearnecessities

I don’t think this thread had anywhere near enough comments, considering there’s a 500 post epic about sod all over there >>

I’m in genuine awe of the whole range of talents you’ve shown to get this to where it is and the fact you’ve ridden it now, without it disintegrating is simply a bonus.

Fine looking machine too! Please report back with the post-Afan review, and congrats again fella 😀 .

hs125
    Free Member

I’m really impressed by this. Would love to be able to do something similar. Please keep the updates coming on how well it performs in the longer term, and what you’d change with hindsight.
    Could I suggest a 29er with a bottom bracket gearbox for the next build?

matt_outandabout

That bike is brilliant.
    I want a go.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You’ve set me off. Why didn’t you go down the 29er route? was thinking akin to the element but a bit like a 29er ASR 5. Say 110mm at the back and 120 at the front 69 head angle. Would this be more difficult to fit together than a 26 in terms of getting the tubes to go in the right places, clearances etc?

bedmaker

That’s fantastic. It’s giving me the urge to try a monocoque/e-stay carbon fatbike. That would be great in carbon.

oliverracing

hs125 – not a fan of gearbox bikes so I guess that rules that out!

matt_outandabout – if you ever see me about, feel free to say hi (and that you’re from stw) as if I’m not in a rush you can have a spin!

thestabilizer – main reason for not going down the 29er route was lack of funds, I either built a frame or got new wheels! I have built it ready to be converted to 650b wheels should a cheap set come available. In the future I may buy an Element as my race bike and convert this to 140mm travel trail/enduro bike (already designed). As for that design I don’t think packing would be too tricky, but for xc racing I like a really racey feel so think that would be overkill for xc but not enough for hard trail riding.

bedmaker – I do fancy something like those carbon estay scots from the 90s!

oliverracing

Afan weekend report now here – I would say it has been a successful weekend even though I broke the frame…

—–> AFAN CARNAGE REPORT HERE <—–

everyone
    Free Member

From those pics it looks as though you’ve got an absolute mile of seatpost and a massive seat-bars drop! I’m looking forward to seeing it/seeing if it can support my lardy arse. When you back btw?

bearnecessities

Well, you’ve identified the first weak point – you can only improve on the design now 😀

Did you get any other riders noticing it was a home made bike?!

oliverracing

Nathan – Yep quite a seat-bars drop, but it is accentuated by the low top tube and I like the aggressive riding position! back in Lufbra saturday evening if your up for a ride sunday am?

Bearnecessities – yep – although I’m amazed the only part I didn’t make was the first bit to break! And two people noticed it was homemade, but it got called an Ibis by someone!!!! ❓

bearnecessities

Nice, it does have a touch of Ibis about it!

Look forward to seeing the carbon linkage 8)

everyone
    Free Member

Yea I should be around on sunday although it depends if Mike has a spare seat in his car for the race (I’m racing on the saturday as well so I might be broken)

richmars

Oliver,
    In a way it’s good it’s failed, I’m sure you’ll fix it and it will be stronger. On the linkage failure, what sort of Al did you use? I got some higher grade stiff (don’t remember what number) which you may need. It’s fairly thin where it failed. Anyway, gives me an excuse for a picture of one of my links, :

If you look at mine, I didn’t machine a full hole for the bearing on the inside, which leaves a bit more metal, but you do need a spacer between the bearing and the swinging arm (only about 1mm thick.)

Richard

donks
    Free Member

Oli…. You sir are a legend, the full sus is awesome,
    How have I not seen this thread before! I love these self build projects.

oliverracing

Nathan – I’ll post something up on the FB page nearer the time.

Richmars – It’s the only part I didn’t make myself – I nicked it off a broken yeti ASR – so would have assumed it would be strong enough, but I’m re-designing it to make it out of carbon – pics and mini build blog to follow when I’ve decided how I’m doing it! – I will admit I’m kind of glad it did fail, it had been bugging me slightly that I had made everything, and then used a pre-made linkage!

richmars

Oliver,
    My design is not unlike that used on a Whyte. I think they do carbon links now, maybe have a look at how they do it.

jairaj

Oliver I think I rode past you on Friday at Afan. I think it was the climb for Blue Scar, I was on a yellow Transition Bandit.

I didn’t realise that was your bike until much later on in the ride, otherwise I would have stopped and had chat with you.

oliverracing

Ok – bike all fixed and carbon linkage done, not got any photos of doing it as phone memory card seems to have gone corrupt, but got a few of the finished article.

>>>>>> HERE <<<<<

jairaj – if it was sometime around 9.30am-midday that is quite likely – I was dragging my family up there so was pootling up along side my family some walkers 😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Homemade carbon full suspension frame build updates…’ is closed to new replies.