Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car windscreen replaced yesterday, iced up inside today
  • Houns

Auto glass came out late on yesterday afternoon and replaced my damaged screen. This morning when I got in to the car I found that the inside of the screen was iced over.
    This hadn’t happened previously, even on colder mornings. Car was parked in the usual spot.
    I’ve called them and they’re coming out again, bringing another screen if needed. I’m just wondering if it’s just a case of car being open yesterday as temp dropped causing condensation/dampness to get in. If this is case then should right itself in a couple of days. Worst case scenario (for them I suppose) is that the bonding agent wasn’t applied/set correctly. Anything else you can think that may have caused it?

Also in the notes of my receipt of their work was this – “New retainer pushing away from glass, old one looked to be same as scuttle was unclipped all the way along before possible issue with retainers no protection along lower edge”

Eh? Could some one translate that please ? The tech didn’t tell me about this

Cougar

. I’m just wondering if it’s just a case of car being open yesterday as temp dropped causing condensation/dampness to get in.

I’d hazard that’s at least possible. Mine was away for a few weeks for extensive repairs recently (someone took the side off it) and it was condensation city for a couple of weeks afterwards. I put it down to being in bits in an unheated garage for a while. Cleared up eventually.

somafunk

i imagine the inside was iced up due to the dampness held by the cars interior then with the doors shut overnight the condensation had nowhere to go apart from settle on the windscreen.

The scuttle is the tray at the bottom of the windscreen where your wipers sit, usually this sits flush with the glass to prevent any water ingress collecting behind it or sitting on the bonded seal which can lead to corrosion issues later in the cars life due to road spray (grit/salt).

Houns

I think it’s most likely, it was a warm day (in comparison) and the sun was out so the interior would’ve been warm, the work was done from 4pm so just as it started to cool a lot

Houns

Thanks soma

scotroutes

Buy it a bonnet.

I’m guessing the scuttle issue is to do with your Bealach Na Ba episode

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Check it is sealed properly.

Houns

That would help (getting done next week)

Houns

With a running hose on it Frankenstein?

hora
    Free Member

Did it rain whilst the window was open? How long was it open? Unless it was open all night I’d look at the seals.

I had a shocking autoglass job- fitter said the seals were kinked and flexed all over and its just one of those things that they come like that in the box. The result was gaps where before it was a tight against metal flush-fit. The refitter said he should put the seals on the dash whilst driving over to help them supple up thenheatgun them etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The moisture in your and the Ginger’s dogging blanket probs caused it.

HTH.

pingu66
    Free Member

Maybe they put the glass in the wrong way. Was there any ice on the outside?

Houns

😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car windscreen replaced yesterday, iced up inside today’ is closed to new replies.