Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Car tyres? Toyo TR1 Tyre Any good?
  • sanj
    Free Member

Any one had them? They any good? do around 40K a year.

sssimon
    Free Member

great tyre but at 40k a year you’ll be going through them, they are a softer sportier tyre but for big miles I’d be looking at a goodyear/dunlop type tyre, maybe even a Kumho

stumpy01

as mentioned – good tyre, but quite soft.

Might not get great mileage out of them.

Speshpaul

I don’t think they do bike tyres!

But don’t by cheap Kumho’s there base tyres are well basic.
    Toyos are good but won’t last.
    I’m a big fan of Avon’s ZZ3’s and ZV5’s on our cars. good grip, good wear and the right price.

momo

Very good tyre, but people I know who run them often struggle to get 10k from a set, so probably not the tyre for you.

sanj
    Free Member

Cheers guys, ill have a look for an alternative!

bazzer
    Free Member

If you mean Toyo T1-R then I use them on my Octy Vrs Estate I like them quite good wet and dry. I get pretty much 20K out of a front set and 40K rear.

I don’t drive slow but I am not sliding around either.

Hope this helps.

richmtb

Falken Fk452’s are worth a look as well, better grip than the Goodyear Excellence I replaced, seem to be wearing well so far too

Speshpaul

“Falken Fk452’s are worth a look as well, better grip than the Goodyear Excellence I replaced”

I know what you mean but the new tyres you have fitted should offer better grip than the ones you have taken off, otherwise we’d all be on slicks with bits of wire poking out:-)

But 452’s have a good rep. Again like the kumhos don’t buy the cheap Falkens they are shocking.
    It seems like the cheaper brands good tyres are really quite good, but there cheap stuff is nasty.

stumpy01

But don’t by cheap Kumho’s there base tyres are well basic.

Which Kumho’s would you steer clear of?

I’ve not used them, but the KH11’s get fairly good write-ups.

I use KU31’s on my Ibiza and they are great. Grip well in wet & dry, quiet as anything else I’ve tried, wear pretty well. And about £115 delivered off the internet.

sssimon
    Free Member

KU31 (ecsta sport) is a great tyre had a few sets on different cars, 45’s are a bit noisy compared to toyos I had before but not much less grip but a lot harder wearing

richmtb

I know what you mean but the new tyres you have fitted should offer better grip than the ones you have taken off, otherwise we’d all be on slicks with bits of wire poking out:-)

🙂

I know what you are saying, it is hard to tell whether you are just noticing the benefit of new tyres rather than better ones, but they seem to resist wheel spin and axle tramp a lot better than I remember the Goodyears doing even from new

Northwind

What car, what sort of driving?

I’m using Kumho KH17s which are on the budget end but seem fine to me- excellent wet weather and snow grip, bit noisy though. Can’t comment on wear yet. Not a high performance/sporty tyre, more a “good enough for most folks” tyre.

Clobber
    Free Member

I went through my Toyo T1-R’s in 6K miles. Goodyear Eagle F1’s used to have a rep for being pretty good but having great longevity.

brydon
    Free Member

…to echo most of the sentiment expressed here, the Toy Proxes TR-1 are fantastic, though the wear factor is definitely an issue. still, considering their worth against more expensive tyres, value for money is exceptional.

i recently had to replace all four tyres and considered changing to something else (asymmetric) but after reading reviews and comparisons decided to stick with the TR1-s (for financial reasons!)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Volkswagen/Golf-GTI.htm

stumpy01

EDIT to the uneditable (above)….

I meant £115/pair delivered for the KU31. Not each!!

Vredestein Hi-Trac are also a good mid-performance tyre that is long lasting. Would probably still be using them, but they don’t do them in the size I need for the Ibiza.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Car tyres? Toyo TR1 Tyre Any good?’ is closed to new replies.