Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Car tyre longevity- cheap and nasty or pricey branded?
  • tinybits
    Free Member

OP, get the good ones, and at £60/corner, get a full set!

The michelin energy savers on my golf were appaling in the wet, very little grip and an unbelievable ability to aquaplane. I drive a lot (25k/yr, almost all on b-roads) and like to drive fast, but these had me crawling along in the wet. The plus side was they slid really nicely, with great squealy noisy in the dry going down the cheddar gorge on my way to work!
    The continentals that I’ve replaced them with seem to stick like shit to a blanket, are no noisier but I cant comment on wear as they are too new to tell (about 3k miles).
    I wouldn’t buy cheap tyres again, and would sacrifice economy for grip, after all, it’s all that attaches you to the road at 100mph…

molgrips
    Free Member

The michelin energy savers on my golf were appaling in the wet, very little grip and an unbelievable ability to aquaplane

When was that? They cannot be the same as the ones I have.

I’m a bit concerned now though.. just looking around, ADAC seem to like them, but there’s also some evidence to suggest that they’ve changed them a lot over the years. Having said that mine are from 2009 or something.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-European-Summer-Tyre-Test-165-70-R14.htm

tinybits
    Free Member

Mine are August 2012 on a brand new car, can’t tell you the model as I swapped them a couple of weeks ago.

Hoping the new Golf GT that’s arriving next week comes with something a little better!

Neil-F
    Free Member

really depends how long you want to keep yor car. If you don’t drive like a Chav, then the budget tyres are fine, they last for ages and they don’t leave a sillybugger dent in your pocket.
    don’t listen to the tyre snobs, thats a lesson I learnt a few years ago.
    Typical pish is:
    “your only contact with the road is the tyre”
    “buy the best you can afford”
    Tyres nowadays are a hell of a lot better than they used to be, especially budget brands. 😉

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Compared to fuel, and other running cost, the difference between a cheap tyre and a decent tyre is not very much.

Something to not skimp on, imo.

porter_jamie

Michelin every time

michaelbowden

You’re worrying about £60/tyre for your car? How much do your mtb tyres cost?
    How fast do you and your family/friends go in the car?
    stick with a good quality branded make and look at the wet weather performance

trail_rat
    Free Member

Or just drive to conditions. I find it laughable that folk will advocate the use of expensive tires yet not fit winters when the temperature drops.

2 medeocre tires – 1 summer and 1 winter would be far better investment for anyone north of watford gap than 1 expensive tire.

Dnt need to drive at mach 1 everywhere.

Other than in hire cars which seem to run on tires made of wood ive havnt found the limits of a tire since i was about 17.

parkesie
    Free Member

Conti’s at £60 a corner whats not to like. My cars got silly big wheels £200 a corner ouch but worth the cost for the predictable grip. Had cheaper bridgstone eco hard wearing tyres on when i bought it and they were awfull in the wet hard not to spin wheels at junctions.

Northwind

Neil F – Member

really depends how long you want to keep yor car. If you don’t drive like a Chav, then the budget tyres are fine

Until you have to do something unplanned- a mechanical issue, or an emergency avoidance. Then, just at the time you most want good tyres, you still have crap tyres.

fingerbike – Member

Bad idea.
    Best tyres to the rear always, a front wheel slide is easier to control than a rear.

Except that on many cars, a front wheel slide is more likely to happen, so it is not that simple. I understand the logic obviously but I’ve tried it both ways round on mine and better tyres on the front for me much better.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just add my two pennith, you can see ratings on all tyres which give three ratings, economy, wet braking and noise levels. You’ll see the wet braking is the one that varies the most and affects the cost most.

I always put good tyres on my cars, as I do drive quite fast occasionally but also like to know my wife is safe when she’s driving. Also a friend just put some Coopers on his car and said everything felt so much better than when he had Pirrellis on previously.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Car tyre longevity- cheap and nasty or pricey branded?’ is closed to new replies.