Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Car thread, sorry: MkVI GTI verdicts or what else?
  • Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I’m looking for something that’s good on the motorway but also suitable for fun Sunday blasts and Welsh roads etc.

GTI seems like my only option. My wife calls them ‘little boys’ toys’, which I can understand, but I’m stumped thinking of alternatives – any suggestions?

passtherizla
    Free Member

just buy it…

10pmix
    Free Member

Can’t really go wrong for the money. They look great too I think, best since the MkII. I have an Audi S3 which is great for just about everything but I wouldn’t pay £32k for it (company motor).

richmtb

Fantastic cars. Just buy one.

I own the cheapo alternative a Leon FR, I wish i’d went for the Golf though. Mechanically they are pretty much identical but the Golf is a much nicer place to be.

Go for the manual. DSG is good but for fun on the way to the trails you can’t beat a manual.

The MkVI also benefits from the updated 2.0L Turbo engine which has a little bit more power but is also a lot better on fuel. High 30’s mpg is pretty good for 207hp in a petrol engine.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I’m looking at a one-owner car tonight: anyone know where I’ll find the chassis number? (I’m going to try to do the proper checks before I buy this time, instead of afterwards like I normally do.)

richmtb

Chassis Number should be on a plate under the bonnet.

sam_underhill

Come on Boys and Girls, this is STW. Skoda Octavia vRS.
    I’ve got one (rather rpedicatbly) in estate guise and it’s ace. Bigger boot than the golf and similar interior. Nothing wrong with the golf though.

alibongo001

Hi

Another to look at is a Scirroco, especially if you were going to go for the 2 door Gti

I have just given a 2.0 tsi petrol one back to the leasing company after 3 or so years and 70k miles.

I previously had a mkv gti and enjoyed the handling of the scirocco more and also thought it seemed a little lighter on its feet!

Had to go for the diesel 3 series now as 20k miles a year costs a lot @ 35 mpg!

Cheers
    Al.

TheFlyingOx

What’s the budget? I’m guessing around the £7k-£8k mark given the mkvi GTi. Not too much in that price range that’s similar, but depends what you’re after and how old you’re prepared to go.

There are a few extremely good EP3 Civic Type Rs and loads of FN2 ones around in that price bracket.
    Renaultsport Megane?
    Infiniti G35? Although this might be a bit heavy on the fuel
    Ford Racing Puma?
    Focus RS?
    You can find decent enough Boxster 986s at that price too.

hora
    Free Member

For a good allrounder which includes a commuter I don’t see how you can go far wrong than the MKVI Golf.

The 2.0T is supposed to be a great engine isn’t it.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

£7k-£8k

If only! Mk6 is still some way above that.

FN2: took one out, gave me a headache – too much firmness for a man my age.
    Megane: each time I sit in a Renault (Clio Cup + Megane), something falls off.
    Boxster – no, but my budget almost puts me in Cayman hunting territory. It’s just the fuel and general upkeep. Also, there’s nowhere for the dog and/or bike, so it would spend most weekends on the drive, defeating the purpose (unfortunately).

rkk01
    Free Member

Giulietta QV…? supposedly quite civilised on the motorway, if not the best on the twisties.

For smaller and more fun – try an Abarth 500. More fun than the Golf GTi, by a long, long, long way

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I have a 55 plate 2.0 TDI with 6 speed auto DSG box. Plenty quick enough unless you really need the extra a GTI provides. Average return of ~52mpg. Will be getting a mkVI when funds allow. Great cars.

GJP
    Free Member

Audi A3 2.0T FSI Quattro would be my choice over the GTI, so long as you are happy with the higher fuel consumption. Never a big fan of the MkV, I thought the quality feel took a turn for the worse, over a Mk4.

My audi was quite a bit cheaper to insure than the Golf GTI despite costing more, higher spec etc etc.

hora
    Free Member

The mkV Golf is FUGLY.

The Golf for the alround win.

Im currently chasing a mkIV V6 4motion, slow, bad handling but glorious 😀

tonyplym
    Free Member

Volvo C30 T5 might be worth considering . . .

djglover
    Free Member

BMW 330i m sport? Proper wheel drive 270bhp. Have over 40mpg in mine, sounds awesome compared to the golf and from what I’ve seen not much difference in cost

footflaps

Im currently chasing a mkIV V6 4motion, slow, bad handling but glorious

Handling is massively improved by adding the MKIV R32 ARBs. I changed the springs and dampers on mine as well to lower it a bit, made a big difference, but the single biggest improvement is the ARBs.

olii
    Free Member

Seat Cupra? Same family as vw and Audi, and pretty similar. Build quality probably isn’t as good as the others though. It’s the same engine as an S3 (2.0TFSI KO4) as opposed to the VW gti.

stuarty
    Free Member

Astra vxr

chewkw
    Free Member

Or Toyota 07 Avensis 2.2 diesel 180 HP (estate or saloon) …

I prefer automatic gear Toyota me … so relaxing 😆

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

BMW 330i m sport? Proper wheel drive 270bhp. Have over 40mpg in mine

Yes, I have been wondering about a 3-series of some sort. Or possibly one of those 135i Coupé things – which apparently have a great engine. (But which look a bit wonky.)

Never had a BMW though. Not sure.

On the other hand, finding a decent GTI, even at 2-3 years old, is proving tricky. Looked at three now and last night’s was really ratty – smoked in, paint chipped front and back, etc. All cosmetic stuff I suppose but at this price and age I want something that feels like new.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Giulietta QV…?

I recently worked with an idiot manager who ruined my life for nearly a year, and he loved Alfas and had a picture of a Giulietta as his wallpaper. So that rules out all Alfas for ever more. (Just like the idiot dentist I did some work for once put me off all modern-era Astons. Victor Gauntlett cars would obviously still be acceptable.)

Also, Giuliettas are ladies’ cars, aren’t they? 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

Never a big fan of the MkV, I thought the quality feel took a turn for the worse, over a Mk4

Really?
    IMHO MkV GTi is a really nice car. Was disappointed when the MkVI came out TBH, but it has grown on me. Traditional wisdom says that MkIII and Mk IV were the let downs in the series…

Owned a MkV GTi, very, very nice car. Suitable for pretty much anything. Not too posh for the supermarket / school run, wouldn’t look out of place in the car park of a swish country house hotel. Polished, accomplished, refined.

Only “problem”, was that the “fun” part of the tacho was almost always above the legal speed limit.

That’s were our current Abarth 500 trumps the Golf time and time again. It is an absolute hoot to drive at any speed.

tonyg2003

Nobody mentioned it. Megane Renaultsport. You’ll get a newer car, better performance and handling but worse residuals/image. It’s a car I always think I’d like to own, but I just head round the M25 in the car these days so it’s a diesel estate…..if I live’d near the in-laws in the breacons….

Keva
    Free Member

Handling is massively improved by adding the MKIV R32 ARBs. I changed the springs and dampers on mine as well to lower it a bit, made a big difference, but the single biggest improvement is the ARBs.

Footflaps, where did you get that work carried out, I’m thinking of doing the same to mine?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i’d wait and get this…

focus st estate 🙂 chavtastic but i like it!

tonyg2003

Fast estates – what’s not to like 😀

rkk01
    Free Member

Fast estates – what’s not to like

SmurfMat – and his 330d touring 😉

richmtb

BMW 330i is a good shout too. Very economical for a powerful petrol engine and they sound fantastic. Other running costs might be higher than the Golf though

richmtb

SmurfMat – and his 330d touring

I’d quickly edit that to 335d touring AWESOME edition before he appears on the forum to correct you! 😀

tonyg2003

Ahh Smurfmat……where is he now….

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

OK just to tidy up this hanging thread: didn’t get a Golf, got a TT (is that still in the swear filter?) instead, which I love, although I can’t see me getting many bikes in the back of it.

njee20
    Free Member

A friend got 2 people, 2 bikes, 4 pairs of wheels and both their kit in the back of a TT. Was impressive.

djglover
    Free Member

I know someone who gets a chair, full length mirror and all her scissors in hers 🙂

oxnop
    Free Member

I had the GTI for 9 months (before it got stolen) and have had a few cars since which were supposed to be sensible and good on fuel but ended up being deathly boring i.e. didn’t keep any for longer than 9 mts. Mine had DSG which was fantastic, really cant think of anything that comes close for the price.

I decided to buy a 2010 S3 which I thought would feel as quick but with extra sure-footedness of 4 wheel drive (pedant mode Haldex pedant mode off). It was lovely but just felt boring and not what I was after. In the showroom was a Factory Works Clubman and once i’d took it out for a drive I knew it was exactly what I was after. 211BHP, eLSD, Brembo 4 pots, adjustable suspension and with a burble a Golf cant get close to (maybe a R32 with non resonated exhaust). You get my point…….

Feels faster than my GTI, handles as well but its trump card is that its returning 36.5 mpg whereas the Golf didn’t return above 30 mpg when doing my daily drive.

Sure they are expensive but for me it ticked all the boxes.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Car thread, sorry: MkVI GTI verdicts or what else?’ is closed to new replies.