Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Car Parking Penalty – Barrack Room lawyer wanted
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

What would happen theoretically if the O.P. theoretically went back at night and ripped off every sign theoretically and then in the daylight he took pictures to prove poor or little warning or signage.

The pictures went to the appeal.

He is cleared.

Theoretically of course. Nobody should actually do this. Vandalism is a criminal act.

scotroutes

Likely the OP would be convicted of Criminal Damage on the strength of the CCTV images…

Frankenstein
    Free Member

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2jNBnfDKb4[/video]

Neb

I understood that the only bodies who can issue fines are the police or the council. anyone else can’t fine you, just charge you. So if they take you to the small claims court then it’s for loss of earnings. So not really worth their efforts.

I had a parking eye ‘fine’ from a local tesco, I just ignored it, the letters got really really nasty and unpleasant, made you think bailiffs were waiting outside to pounce. It went away on the end.

hora
    Free Member

No idea if Scotland affects anything but anything from parking eye I’d pay.

Anyone else I’d fight.

theotherjonv

@Neb;

I understood that the only bodies who can issue fines are the police or the council.

that used to be the case until fairly recently (last 6-9mo at a guess). It’s changed now, as the preceding discussion covers, with parking cos far more likely to issue court papers and subsequently win them if not defended properly.

The ‘penalty’ argument was lost as part of this, in layman’s terms the courts ruled that it was OK for parking cos to issue a penalty charge as a disincentive to stop people overstaying as long as it was reasonable, and sums of ca £80-100 were reasonable in these cases.

Freester

It’s not a fine. It’s a speculative invoice based on alleged agreed contract with the signage in the car park.

I am pretty sure you can ignore in Scotland. BUT either get yourself over to Pepipoo OR the Money Saving Expert Parking Forum.

DON’T phone them.

DON’T admit who was driving.

You can get out of paying this.

Freester

Yep this is from the Money Saving Expert Forum looks like you are safe to ignore:

If in Scotland/NI:

Apart from (of course!!) complaining to the landowner/retailer you should IGNORE your fake PCN unless you are not the registered keeper and that is a company (hire car or leased/company vehicle).*

You are safe to ignore because there is no worthwhile appeals process – do not believe what the fake PCN says! This Watchdog video still applies in Scotland and NI because a PPC has to know who was driving (unlike in England/Wales now):

WHEN IGNORING IN SCOTLAND/NI, KEEP ALL LETTERS. DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY EVEN IF YOU HAVE MADE A PAPER AEROPLANE FROM THEM!

bruneep

No idea if Scotland affects anything but anything from parking eye I’d pay.
    Anyone else I’d fight.

I never paid PE when they lettered me for parking in a Forestry Commission pot hole ridden gravel car park in a forest.

Lease company wanted to charge £10+vat for forwarding letter on tho.

Told them to jog on as well.

branwell
    Free Member

As per the previous post, if this has happened in Scotland and is not a local council parking fine, then you can ignore or write the parking company and advise them of this fact. Smart Parking in Perth are frequently in the local papers for trying to con unsuspecting motorists with their PCN. As others have said check online the legal standing in Scotland on this matter and save yourself sending them any money. I speak from experience with having to deal with Smart Parking.

Neb

Ah, I wasn’t aware things had changed in England. Thanks for the info!

cheers_drive

I just won my POPlA appeal against Parking Eye on the grounds I visited twice in the period stated not one long stay. They only have camara on the exit / entrance do have no proof that you were actually there during that time it you’d left and returned the camera didn’t record it.

Cougar

I’m not sure I follow the logic of that?

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Car Parking Penalty – Barrack Room lawyer wanted’ is closed to new replies.