Home Forums Chat Forum Car Insurance – Huge increase anyone else?

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Car Insurance – Huge increase anyone else?
  • Blazin-saddles

Ours went up £12.  But changed cover to add commuting again after 5 years of wfh and and extra 6k miles a year.  So I’m seeing that as a reduction in premium. #manmaths.

timba
    Free Member

+35% this year.

Did Compare the Money, or somesuch, and back to the same premium as last year with another company, same underwriter, same cover. Hmmm

Same breakdown cover cheaper as a separate purchase, rather than bundled. Insurers!

Daffy

Rich_S all of your figures seem to be off by almost a factor 10.  I3S battery pack is €8k at list €6.6k (still new from BMW) if you shop around.  Those are fitted prices for a 42.2kWh pack in a CFRP casing with the BMS included.  A colleague who looked into replacing the battery on his 8y old Tesla Model S with a higher capacity version was quoted £12k by Tesla.

flintstones
    Free Member

Mine went up 100% in February turns out it was quite competitive! Direct line wouldn’t even quote.
    Again no change in my circumstances!

CountZero

My insurance came up for renewal with the AA, and I was quoted nearly £600, up from about £350, if I recall correctly. I was getting quotes from Confused, etc, for around £325-380 or thereabouts, but I thought I’d phone AA and see what happens. When you look at the likes of Confused, they’re just quoting numbers based on old information, or just winging it. Because I’m doing half the mileage I was over the last few years, I’m not commuting to work, I’m now retired and I’m already covered by AA through my bank account for recovery, I got it reduced to £386, about the same as most other insurers once various details were taken into consideration.
    Quite pleased with that, just by talking to a human, rather than accepting what algorithms tell you.

Rich_s

@Daffy I promise you I’ve seen the quotes. Main dealer retail prices.

theotherjonv

difficult to tell as I’ve gone to a multicar policy to get my 20yo daughter’s premium down, she had a small bump last year and her insurer declined this year. For the two of us it’s 120 per month, for a 95k mile/2016 Sportage and a 90k mile/2007 Mitsu Swift

My 18yo son, newly passed, in a Citroen C1 of similar mileage and vintage to the Swift, was £1600.

Yes, dear reader, that’s £3k on car insurance. My wife pays her own, it’s about £375. I’m 55, professionally qualified, fairly senior role at work, and I can’t afford Sky telly either.

seadog101

I’ve had these crazy increases over the last few years. But a quick shop around or go back to original provider and the price is dropped, even below the yesr before.

No so now.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Not sure wtf is going on with insurance quotes at the moment. I’ve been with Admiral for last two years. Went from just under £300 to last year’s renewal of £475.  Tried the comparison sites, but were surprisingly competitive so decided to stay. Renewal came in today at £300!!! Volvo SUV driver too.

andrewh
    Free Member

Just got my renewal quote, due at the end of the month. Up from £314 to £328. After all the threads on here about it I was expecting much worse. Will ring a couple of others too just in case. 2013 Transit camper conversion

mattyfez

It will be interesting to see what quotes I can get come renewal time, with 1yr NCB, clean record etc, but I’ve not had a car for about ten years.

Current insurance is about £500 on a 1.2l shopping cart, I’m hoping I can get that down to about £300 or better, as I was paying that much for a Volvo T5 AWD in a pervious life.

I’m mid 40’s though, so that probably counts for a lot… young drivers are always going to get bummed on insurance, though, as they are a huge risk.

poolman
    Free Member

Just quoted 339 by esure, new to me aygo I have no ncd.  Upped the xs to 1k and Inc breakdown, seems OK. Some of these big suv s must be eye watering.

Caher

Reported here last year that it doubled and now its gone up by another 50% – no claims and convictions 20+ years. The quote negotiations dance begins.

andy8442
    Free Member

A tip that may work for some, but not all. Go max excess and then get excess insurance separately . Didn’t work for me, but saved my wife about £200.

mattyfez

Mines up for renewal in November.. I wonder what it will be like.. I’ll have one years no claims..

I’m a bit of an edge case though as I didn’t have a car for about 8 years..so kind of starting again…

A 1.2l granny mobile, mid 40yr old, currently paying about £500 with zero NCB but a clean licence /record.

airvent
    Free Member

370 down from 375 last year, with the same insurer. 6 years no claims, 31 years old, business mileage policy on a 9 year old Passat.

multi21
    Free Member

Mines up 25% this year with my current provider (after a similar increase last year) and annoyingly I cannot beat it with any other provider.

My provider (was Flow, now branded Allianz) also have increased excesses so that’s worth keeping an eye on.

zntrx
    Free Member

517 -> 777 quoted with Tesco on a now 4 year old eNiro. Back down to 548 on a comparison site though the tesco quote was monthly the new policy paid upfront.

Home insurance also through this month 449 -> 491.

iainc

Youngest passed his test 2 weeks ago, age 17.  He bought a car at the weekend (he’s starting an apprenticeship in August and commuting by car is the best option otherwise its 2 trains and a lot of walking).  We shopped around extensively and for many of the cars beyond group 6 or so (including his brothers 71 plate base Corsa 1.2) we were refused a quote.  We were basing deal on him being the Policyholder and main driver and me the other named driver (aged 58, clean license)

He ended up with a 1 yr old base Polo, 1l and 80bhp, group 1. His first year premium is £3800 (with Acorn), and hopefully with the telemetry box it comes down significantly for yr 2, if he behaves.  Our other cars are on Admiral multicar and their price for the Polo was £7400 …

onewheelgood

Just got my bike insurance renewal through – R1150GS, full NCD, no claims or convictions. £170, up from £89.

Comparison sites look like I can get a better deal, but some of the excesses are ridiculous – £900, on a bike that’s worth maybe £2k.

j4mie
    Free Member

Mine has gone down £7 a month, for 1000 fewer miles and adding on breakdown cover which saves me £100 a year with AA.

Quite happy with that. Early 40s, Twingo RS but in Leeds which is most of what adds to the cost…

Northwind

Mine went down a hair on the renewal, I beat it down a little bit more with the usual lies.

But comparison sites and new online quotes, **** me. The absolute best I found was over twice my renewal. I’m sure there’ll be better prices out there if I spent long enough digging but that was more than a casual look and it’s all just incredibly bad. Glad I like my current guys!

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.