Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Car hire in Italy. My goodness it’s pricey
  • mrfox
    Free Member

Anyone know why, when it’s so cheap to hire a car in Spain, France, etc, you try to hire in Italy and it’s double the price? The smallest car in the range costs nearly £400 for 2 weeks. It’s not like I’m going to be using it to steal gold or anything. I’m thinking it’s because so many accidents are caused by men pinging the clutch in traffic jams, due to being slapped in the face by unrequiting women.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We hired a Fiat Panda (Perfect for narrow Italina streets!) in Sicily for about £140 a week, in April this year…..

woodey
    Free Member

in a word, crashes

jimmy

Likewise, just hired a Clio 1.5 diesel (used 1/2 tank all week driving from venice to dolomites, around the mountains and back) for £139.

Go to cartrawler.com. There’s an Italian hire company called easy car (not of easyjet ilk) which should be an option from them. It was way cheaper than anything else and I was dubious what costs I was going to get hit with – but nothing. The cars are a bit older than most from what I can tell – had 60k km on the clock, but other than the usual scratches and a bit of steering wheel wear it was fine.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I hired one (Punto 1.2, surprisingly fits 2 bikes in boxes, 2 80 litre rucksacks and 2 daysacks) to drive from italy to slovenia for 2 weeks, cost 250 from the hire place at teh airport (booked in advance)?

mrfox
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys. £385 is the cheapest so far, from easycar. We’ll be cutting back on the chianti this year.

cp

where are you hiring from? If near france you could hire in somehwere liek nice and drive over. i did that a couple of years back – bargain price for a week (90quid iirc)

GaryLake
    Free Member

I used Locautorent – had a really snazzy and pokey (great fun on the mountain switchbacks!) Clio diesel for £220 (10 days)

coffeeking
    Free Member

NOTE TO HIRERS! If you’re going to hire in italy and drive to slovenia, check the insurance specifically has the name slovenia written, because I spent 2 hours sat in no-mans-land as the italians let me out but the slovenes wouldnt let me in without getting proof faxed over from italy.

jimmy

Good point. Easycar don’t allow you to cross borders under their terms of hire and point out that you can’t go to eastern Europe states. We sneaked a day in Austria but I drove VERY carefully…

montylikesbeer

Try these guys

Holiday autos

montylikesbeer

£318.00 (corsa) from holiday autos with pick up and return to Malpensa airport, I have used them for years and they are very good and reliable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Car hire in Italy. My goodness it’s pricey’ is closed to new replies.