Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Car accident repairs Q
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

So, hypothetically speaking here, but if a relative was to hit the back of your car, purely accidentally, and offer to pay for the damage repairs, then its fine to get the car fixed without going through the insurance companies isn’t it?

johnellison
    Free Member

Er, yes… 😯

andrewh
    Free Member

Yes.
    If the hypothetical impact was quite hefty then the hypothetical damage could be a little more than skin deep, not always obvious from just looking at the outside. If this person existed and didn’t know cars it may be worth asking a hypothetical garage how much they would charge for a repair such as the one you are imagining before the relative agrees to stump up the full cost.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Clearly if the insurance company heard about this hypothetical situation they could hypothetically refuse to pay out on all subsequent claims…

wwaswas

you may still be asked when you next renew if you have had any accidents that have not gone through the insurance company. A positive answer may affect your premium.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Clearly if the insurance company heard about this hypothetical situation they could hypothetically refuse to pay out on all subsequent claims…

This sort of thing worries hypothetically worries me 🙂

Basically its the MIL and I dont want either of us to unecessarily have to go through the rigmarol of premiums, inflated repair costs etc etc for what is a fairly minor bump. Obviously I’ll get the car properly checked out at a few garages to get an idea of costs and she may wish to go down the insurance route pending costs anyway.

But similarly I dont wish to break any laws. Checking the guidance online I can see any stipulation that any repairs must go through an insurance company so I suspect this is okay.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

As long as you don’t post it on the internet you will be fine 😉

MoreCashThanDash

if a relative was to hit the back of your car

My father-in law apparently went ballistic when he saw the accident to my now wife’s first car after a rear end shunt.

When he demanded to know who had caused the damage, he was taken aback by her reply “Didn’t Mum tell you…..?”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Car accident repairs Q’ is closed to new replies.