Home Forums Bike Forum Cape Wrath ferry.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cape Wrath ferry.
  • Kramer
    Free Member

If the ferry isn’t running is it possible to cycle from Durness to Cape Wrath and back, and if so, how much does it add to the route please?

butcher

What kind of bike? I think it’s ferry only on any reasonable kind of surface. There might be some hike-a-bike option.

scotroutes

No

Kramer
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s what I thought.

I’m just planning logistics for the Great North Trail, and it would be a shame to get almost all the way there and then not be able to make it to the final bit because the ferry wasn’t running.

scotroutes

You can ride out to Sandwood Bay from Kinlochbervie but the remainder of the route is 13km over unmarked/untramelled heather and bog. Hard enough walking it, I’d certainly not attempt to take a bike. If there’s no ferry then you’d have to return to Sandwood Bay the same way. I guess you could leave your bike at Sandwood Bay and do a there-and-back on foot?

Also remember to check that the bombing range isn’t in use.

gecko76

Caught the ferry years ago and then walked on to Kinlochbervie and it was a loooong way with one memorable river crossing. Not saying you couldn’t do it with a bike, but you wouldn’t be riding it.

MadBillMcMad

NB the ferry is seasonal. In theory starts May 1st, not sure when it ends. And it is weather dependant.

MadBillMcMad

@kramer Just messaged you.

The bothy on Cape Wrath, Kearvaig, is probably the most beautiful place I have ever camped.

Here are some photos to whet your appetite

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcfgaiGDgDEmUuGy5

murdooverthehill

Kearvaig is paradise on earth

willard

Wow! A real blast from the past… I have not been that far north for a looooong time. I think my last visit to Cape Wrath/Kinlochbervie was in the very early 80’s, but I remember it being a wonderful place. Friends of the family ran the hotel there and it was arguably the best week of holiday I had before I bought my own car.

NewRetroTom

At low tide if the Dionard is low you could possibly wade across the kyle close to where the ferry goes. May end in sinking into the sand and drowning/rescue.

montgomery
    Free Member

I’ve walked out round that coastline in winter and wouldn’t take a bike that way. I’d rather do the Sandwood Bay option and stash the bike for a quick there’n’back as above.

NewRetroTom

That’s what the Kyle looks like at low tide.

Kramer
    Free Member

So, we’re planning on doing it self-supported/flashpacking so staying in hostels and hotels. It would just be a shame to get to Durness and then not be able to make it to Cape Wrath.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.