Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Canyon Nerve AM ?
  • teed
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    I’m been a bit of a “lurker” in the past, but have just recently bought a sub to singletrack and so thought I should probably try and get a bit more involved.
    I’ve been riding for nearly year – currently on a RockHopper and whilst I like the bike I’ve been hankering after a full-sus for a while. I’m now in a position to buy one having had a bit of windfall recently and so have a budget of around £2,500 (ish). I’ve been looking at all the usual suspects, but a friend put me on to the Canyon bikes. The specs look great for the money and I really like the look of them – it’s just you can’t get on one to try out.
    So, that’s where (hopefully) you guys come in… If anyone has a Nerve AM (I’m looking at the 9.0 specifically) can they share their experience with it?
    – How’s the ride?
    I’m a bit on the tall side (6’7″) and so would appreciate any comments relating to the taller than average chap!

I know you could argue that it’s a bit too soon to spend that amount of money on a bike (or at least that’s what the other half says!) but the way I’m looking at it is I can afford it at the moment (who knows what the future will bring) and while it might be a bit too much bike for me at the moment, I”m looking to the future and the kind of riding I’ll (hopefully) be doing in the not too distant.

Thanks for any advice you can give,
    teed

chiefP
    Free Member

Hi Mate,

Don’t be put off by the cant try before you buy as you have a 30 day try out, don’t like it send it back and get your money back.

Iv got the 9.0 SL and love it, rides and climbs great and comes in at 27lbs which for a AM bike is pretty impressive. It never feel out of place and begs to be pushed more which is where to me is its highlight.

Its now 3 months since i got it and the only thing iv changed is the brake pads everything else is still as it came.

There are 2 other companies to look at and that’s Rose

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/mtb-full-suspension/

and

YT Industries

http://www.yt-industries.com/en/

teed
    Free Member

Hi chiefP,
    Thanks for the info – there’s just too much choice isn’t there!

Still leaning towards the nerve to be honest…

teed

spudly1979
    Free Member

Hi teed, I can’t comment on the 9.0 but I’ve had a 6.0 for 5 months now and wouldn’t trade it! The spec is very good, but equally the ride is excellent. I initially had some concerns over the frame having come from an anthem, it felt very soft. However, after getting the suspension pressures sorted it rides ridiculously well. Climbs really well and descends super fast, it’s really helped my confidence, I’m taking on descents and jumps I wouldn’t have gone near before.

I’m only 5’10 so. Don’t know about how it works for a taller rider, although a friend of mine at that sort of height found a 29er fit better.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

7.0 here and its been very, very good. Much more capable than I am!

jambo13
    Free Member

My mate had one before it got nicked and I had a few rides on it, very nice bike and well equipped, though it does have the tyres of a monster truck!

I’m 6ft 6 and it had plenty left in the seat post. I’d be tempted to get some higher rise bars on it and perhaps a lay back seat post, but that’s just personal preference so don’t let it put you off!

You may also want to consider looking at an XXL at your size! Not sure what type of riding your looking to do but I’ve had a Trek Fuel EX for the past few years at 21.5.

It’s been a great bike, I absolutely love it but must admit I’ve bent a couple of seat posts due to running them normally at their height limits.

I’ve just decided to go down the 29er route as that’s what my mate got as a replacement and it was a revelation to be honest! Have you tried one yet? Something like a XXL Trek Rumblefish or Specy Camber might be worth having a look at?

teed
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

@jambo13:
    My Rockhopper is a 21 frame and so have been looking at the 22 frame nerve. I reckon that should be plenty tall enough – sometimes the rockhopper can feel a little short. It’s good to hear there was some left on the seat post as that was a slight worry…

I haven’t tried out a 29er yet as I’ve only really started looking. To be honest the spec of the nerve keeps drawing me back! Although I might have a look to see if I can get a ride on one.

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Nerve AM ?’ is closed to new replies.