Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Canyon nerve am 2011 minimum post insert?
  • sideshow
    Free Member

Thinking about buying one of these second hand, but worried that I want to put the post too high thus breaking the frame. I have no desire to exceed the minimum mark on the post, it’s the limit on the frame I’m bothered about.

Canyon don’t specify a minimum insert distance for the frame, they have one manual for all their MTBs which just says “make sure [the seat post] end reaches beyond the top tube”.

Unlike on most bikes though, the nerve top tube is significantly flared at the seat tube end:
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/nerve-am-6_c061.jpg

…so do they mean … the top of the tube … the middle of the tube … or the bottom of the tube? This makes a lot of difference. The seat tube is solid where the top tube joins btw – no hole or anything.

Opinions sought please. Longer post isn’t an option as it’s a dropper post which is part of the package really. Asked customer service three days ago, no response.

lucien

I’ll need to see the Canyon detailed warranty info before I can comment, then I’ll need to trawl the Interweb for Canyon bashing, non warranty paying posts, then maybe I’ll speak to the really helpful CS team they have in Kingston.

On a serious note, as much as you can with as little as possible sticking out.

sideshow
    Free Member

Very funny. Of course the warranty wouldn’t apply to me as I’m not the original owner, so I don’t risk being disillusioned on that front 🙂

sideshow
    Free Member

Re “as much as you can” that’s an odd view, I set the post to a comfortable height for pedaling and if it’s not inserted enough then the bike is too small for me. So the question of course is how much is enough?

mrelectric

Not sure that I can answer the question about the seatpost length in detail but I can recommend the model & year, see my other posts on the Canyon Nerve.

RustyMac

General rule of thumb is the post should be inserted so that the bottom of it is below the bottom of the top tube.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sometimes, it could also mean your seat post is too short – that one can be easily fixed…

sideshow
    Free Member

If anyone else needs to know, canyon replied to me :-

“Beyond the top tube means beyond the “middle” of the top tube.”

</topic>

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Canyon nerve am 2011 minimum post insert?’ is closed to new replies.