• This topic has 39 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by oliwb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Canyon demanding I pay by bank transfer…
  • MS
    Free Member

I had my Canyon Lux repaired by Canyon (wasn’t a warranty issue).

I never received an invoice for it but did get a letter saying I had 8 days to pay or else really. I emailed them to say that I had never received an invoice to which the forwarded the invoices and said the only payment method was bank transfer.

I thought this was a bit strange as I expected to pay by card (debit or credit). In my eyes doing it by bank transfer isn’t secure in the slightest. I emailed back saying this and received a very rude email back from them saying that if I didn’t pay they would send the bailiffs basically.

What are the thoughts, bank transfer ok?

PS – I would never buy a Canyon again…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Genuine Q – how do think the bank transfer, from and by you to a third party, is not secure?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Bank transfer is okay if you’re happy it’s Canyon sending you the details. Bank Transfer is a lot bigger in Germany than in the UK so they might not have even thought it might be a srange request.

oliverracing

why do you think your canyon was so cheap? 😉

MSP

Bank transfer is perfectly safe.

But I would phone them and offer to pay by CC over the phone, I have always found them perfectly friendly and helpful over the phone, but email communications can suffer from language problems (assuming you are dealing with canyon Germany and not the UK office).

MS
    Free Member

Genuine Q – how do think the bank transfer, from and by you to a third party, is not secure?

As you have no proof they receive it. I can easily send it but if it isn’t them they could still come back and say I owe them. Credit Card, you have the transaction shown and know it will have reached them (or get your money back if you have been done!)

Tried the CC route, they said no. Dealing with UK office.

Jamie
    Free Member

…and received a very rude email back from them saying that if I didn’t pay they would send the bailiffs basically.

Not German bailiffs?! They are the wurst kind!

MSP

Pay up or you will be serenaded.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Just paid for my YT and they’re the same. Either +€90 to use paypal or bank transfer.

willjones
    Free Member

Work – all invoices paid by bank transfer.

tomaso
    Free Member

If you pay at the bank they will confirm the name of the payee. You will still have a record on your bank statement. Not sure how this can be insecure?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Conversely,what is Canyon’s problem with being payed by credit card?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Charges?

remoterob
    Free Member

It costs them money.

grum
    Free Member

Germans aren’t keen on accepting credit cards generally IME. Was surprised by how many places wouldn’t take them in Berlin. Even debit cards quite often.

timidwheeler

They take them when you buy a bike.

moniex
    Free Member

Credit cards not used much on the continent really. Friend of ours (plastic surgeon) in Belgium had a credit card with a lower credit limit than my husbands credit card (driving instructor, presume earning a little less).

This may be why?

My mother in holland seems to use bank transfer for most things.

Jamie
    Free Member

Germans aren’t keen on accepting credit cards generally IME. Was surprised by how many places wouldn’t take them in Berlin. Even debit cards quite often.

Going back a couple of years now, 4-5, but I was surprised when a German friend mentioned a lot of their mail order companies offered COD.

chickenman

Actually Germans are very careful with their money, preferring to wait till they can afford stuff before buying it. They also are probably less well paid than Brits. Maybe that is why their economy is doing so well…then again, it could be the low value of the Euro favouring their exports.

maico
    Free Member

MS – Member

As you have no proof they receive it. I can easily send it but if it isn’t them they could still come back and say I owe them. Credit Card, you have the transaction shown and know it will have reached them (or get your money back if you have been done!)

Tried the CC route, they said no. Dealing with UK office.

Your nuts. An electronic bank transfer goes into Canyon’s account. The numbers required for the transaction don’t match any one else’s.

Your final sentence “PS – I would never buy a Canyon again” suggest you work for a LBS and/or are of limited intelligence !

timidwheeler

Or he has had so many problems with Canyon’s appalling customer service that he wants the payment protection of a credit card.

monkeyboyjc

How did you pay for it in the first place?

I pay employees, rent on my shop, even random electronics companies in China by bank transfer. Get a grip and stop being so paranoid. 😉

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Has been standard practice when buying from Ze Germans.

Greybeard
    Free Member

An electronic bank transfer goes into Canyon’s account. The numbers required for the transaction don’t match any one else’s.

You just need to make sure that account details you have are really from Canyon; if they have confirmed in an email, look in the headers to see where it was sent from. Alternatively, send them a small amount, ask them to confirm receipt, then send the rest.

maico
    Free Member

LOL. The Bank Id is on Canyon’s website

Sparkasse Koblenz
    Sort code no. 57050120
    Acc. No. 58000720
    IBAN DE 88 57050120 0058000720
    BIC: MALADE51KOB

http://www.canyon.com/_en/service/faq.html?c=19

MS
    Free Member

Your final sentence “PS – I would never buy a Canyon again” suggest you work for a LBS and/or are of limited intelligence !

That sentence suggests confirms that you are a tosser! Go back in your box.

And no I would never buy a Canyon again…

MS
    Free Member

You just need to make sure that account details you have are really from Canyon; if they have confirmed in an email, look in the headers to see where it was sent from. Alternatively, send them a small amount, ask them to confirm receipt, then send the rest.

Cheers that was the bit I was concerned about as they want me to pay some into the German account and some in the UK account. Least with CC you know if it goes pete tong you have some comeback.

Cheers for all the real help…to the idiots that have posted…jog on

Greybeard
    Free Member

they want me to pay some into the German account

Presumably in Euros? Your bank will charge for that, and may not give a good rate; I use currencyfair.com for changing currency then paying into a foreign account; see my post in this thread

Frankers
    Free Member

Yes be aware that some banks charge £15-25 for transferring money to Eu banks

trail_rat
    Free Member

Maico – your last sentence suggests you work for canyon.

Fwiw….. Ms isnt the first owner of canyon bikes who have experianced their customer service that i personally i know to have said that……and im not in the bike shop either… Equally i know a couple of guys who bought their road bikes who are extatic with their bikes, its mostly their full sus bikes tat folks i know have had issues with.

maico
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

Maico – your last sentence suggests you work for canyon.

Fwiw….. Ms isnt the first owner of canyon bikes who have experianced their customer service that i personally i know to have said that……and im not in the bike shop either… Equally i know a couple of guys who bought their road bikes who are extatic with their bikes, its mostly their full sus bikes tat folks i know have had issues with.
    Posted 2 days ago # Report-Post

No I don’t work for Canyon, merely copied and pasted Canyon’s bank account number shown on their website.

The rest of your post is incomprehensible !

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I can see both sides of this,

OP is worried as if anything goes wrong he doesn’t have the backup of a credit card.

Canyon – probably don’t have any means of accepting random amounts of money via a credit card so ask for it to be paid direct which is common place in Germany.

At the end of the day the bike was bought from abroad and you’ll have to put up with how they deal out there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the rest of my post is limitless/boundless ? quality.

ignorance is bliss. P.S it was your last sentence in your first post that led me to that conclusion not your last post with bank details. – still reckon you work for canyon.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just becasue you have bank account details (account number etc) doesn’t mean security is compromised.

Canyon may not have the facility to accept credit/debit card payments, especially over the phone. Also they are charged for using credit/debit cards, they want you to settle the bill in a no-cost way for them, not totally unreasonable.

maico
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

still reckon you work for canyon.

Nope. My only connection is I bought a bike in April 2013 from them. I paid by credit card because I have a 2% cash back one. This almost matched the 2.5 % foreign transaction fee so there was no point in paying for a bank transfer.
    The bike arrived the following week and I’ve had no problems since.

The OP said of bank transfers quote:

“As you have no proof they receive it. I can easily send it but if it isn’t them they could still come back and say I owe them.”

Talk about paranoid….

MS
    Free Member

Maico definitely sounds like the same guy I was dealing with at Canyon! Unhelpful and someone who likes to hide behind a keyboard.

Reason I was asking the STW masses as I have been stung before so yes paranoid! So would you! Sounds like it will be OK though so will arrange payment today.

Also just to clear things up, I didn’t buy the bike brand new from them, bought it used but it broke (chainstay snapped)…so I was paying for it to be repaired.

maico
    Free Member

I’ve posted pics before of my bottom of the range Nerve 7.9, hardly the choice of someone working at Canyon getting a large company discount !

During the Winter the trails here in Somerset were flooded so used it on the road with 35c cyclocross tyres.

maico
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

the rest of my post is limitless/boundless ? quality.

Eh ?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/incomprehensible

Here’s another example…

oliwb
    Free Member

For balance…..I’d find it a bit odd too….

Okay, they’re based in Europe but I agree that I would feel a lot warmer and fuzzier using a CC to pay for things (especially in a different currency). You’re kidding yourselves if you think the protection given on a bank transfer is even remotely similar to level of protection when using a CC.

Having said that. They’re a reputable company and if it’s possible to verify their details from the website etc it’s probably okay to proceed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Canyon demanding I pay by bank transfer…’ is closed to new replies.