Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Can't get into Mag-Lite, corroded……
  • mechmonkey
    Free Member

Just went to replace the batterys in my big-enough-to-bosh-an-intruder-over-the-head Maglite and can’t get the end cap off. Left the batterys in there for a few yrs, oops.

So I tried heating cap and cooling the body, didn’t work. Tried sitting it in penetrating oil overnight, no difference…reckon the rubber sealing ring stops it getting in. So dremel’d flat surfaces on each side of the cap and hammered on a 30mm spanner, no go. Got the big hammer out, bangbangbang f***in BANGBANGBANG…no go. Now I figure I probably need a vice to hold the body in so that I can get enough torque. Don’t have a vice, before I go out to buy one just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas I didn’t try. Don’t like spending money!!

wwaswas

dismantle it from the other end?

ski
    Free Member

Give the importers a call, in the past they have sent me parts for free 😉

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Tried that but don’t think its possible to get through to the battery area without breaking something. i.e. Not sure if I do force my way through that the battery terminal will not then be dodgy/broken

speaker2animals

Which is cheaper, new mag lite or vice? By the time you’ve finished all the banging around what condition will the torch be in?

Have the batteries been in so long that they have leaked causing the corrosion? If so the contacts/wiring etc may also be knacked anyway.

glupton1976
    Free Member

jam one end of it it a door and use two hands to open it.

CountZero

If its corroded like that you’re stuffed, basically. The batteries will have eaten into the alloy of the tube, and corroded all the contacts. I only just managed to save mine after the Duracellls leaked, etching the anodising off of the inside, and eating into the contacts. The batteries would only just come out. I would say yours is beyond saving, so your better off either getting another one, or go onto DX.com and get a much brighter LED torch for less. How about a 6000 lumen torch for $65?
    http://dx.com/p/trustfire-tr-j18-7-x-cree-xm-l-t6-2800lm-5-mode-memory-white-flashlight-black-2-3-x-18650-26650-146727?utm_source=dx&utm_medium=edm&utm_campaign=20121126cybermonday
    Could be more expensive now, as that was a CyberMonday offer.
    Or one of these: http://dx.com/p/tb-d7-cree-xm-l-t6-8000k-900lm-5-mode-white-led-flashlight-1-x-18650-110262
    I’ve just got one; astonishingly bright, handy pocket size, and you can bosh someone with either the top or bottom strike crowns, should you need to. Mine’s in a holster on my belt at the mo’.

konabunny
    Free Member

I had a mini mAglite that did the same thing. Couldn’t open it (even once I’d accepted is use destructive force ) and couldn’t undo it from the other end. Never did work it out…

stuey
    Free Member

I’ve lost a couple due to battery leakage – didn’t duracells batteries used to be leak proof / guaranteed ?

Does anybody still sale leak proof batteries?

CountZero

I think ‘leak-proof’ comes with a caveat; only if you don’t leave the battery installed for many months. I must check my Mag in the car, that’s probably dead, now, I can’t remember the last time I used it, so it’s likely the batteries have leaked again. Never use it anyway, too big and clumsy, bought it long before LED’s came in, let alone the current crop.

corroded
    Free Member

*rethinks user name*

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Couldn’t open it (even once I’d accepted is use destructive force ) and couldn’t undo it from the other end.

Cheers for all the ideas. Given up on any realistic hope of live rescue. Agree with above posts about its weight and that there are more powerful and functional lights out there. Just liked this torch.

Now…to get into it. I will report back, I will not be defeated by potassium carbonate!

bigG
    Free Member

What about a couple of these strap wrenchesto allow you to get strong purchase and give it a good twist. Has worked for me when trying to remove a seized seat post.

They can be bought much cheaper than that one, but it was the first place I could find it.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Oo I like the look of that tool, seems like its exactly the right thing to give me the grip I need. Never seen one of them before. Might be a good addition to the toolbox for a number of jobs(none other than the seatpost and maglite one come to mind)

One of them, 30mm spanner and 2x 2ft long scaffold pole

onandon
    Free Member

unscrew the top part of the head and remove the reflector. you may be able to smell if it all corroded.

the head end should come off with a bit of force after a few taps/ hits

Muke
    Free Member

Try soaking the seized bit in Vinegar, I have had success with this on corroded zips before when all else has failed

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Its all corroded.

Its a D series and the switch assembly is not very easy to remove. So hard to get in through that end. Its a case of getting enough purchase to pull it out without breaking the part your gripping. This might be affected by my unsuccessful attempt with a corkscrew bottle opener to pull it out.

spooky_b329

Drill a hole into the body (not the batteries) so you can add that wonder oil, Plusgas.

If you get it open you can then seal the hole with a grommet or silicone etc.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Try soaking the seized bit in Vinegar

Worth a shot while I try to fashion a strap wrench out of a large zip tie a pair of molegrips and an old inner tube

bigG
    Free Member

mechmonkey – Member

Worth a shot while I try to fashion a strap wrench out of a large zip tie a pair of molegrips and an old inner tube

[/url] Untitled by BigG1968, on Flickr[/img]

ohnohesback
    Free Member

So… if you have a Maglite always remember to regularly inspect it’s condition by opening it and giving a visual inspection of the batteries and test them with a battery tester if you are able. If your Maglite is there as a standby and likely to be left unused for some time it may be worth taking the batteries out, and taping them to the torch.

And Duracells are utter… when it comes to leak resistance, the MOD no longer use them for that very reason.

As for the OP, you’ve done what you can, time to get a new and better torch, there are plenty around that will spank a Maglite.

CountZero

As for the OP, you’ve done what you can, time to get a new and better torch, there are plenty around that will spank a Maglite.

Oh, how very true! I’m pretty sure one of these will: http://dx.com/p/trustfire-r5-a3-cree-xp-e-r5-3-mode-230-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-39062?utm_source=dx&utm_medium=edm&utm_campaign=20120912

Yes, it’s tiny, but you can get them from Amazon as well as Deal Extreme, for around £12, and they’re fantastic little torches, they chuck out a phenomenal amount of light, and they are perfect to use with a Twofish LockBlock.
    Just make sure you use 3.7v Li-Ion batteries to get the best out of them. I’ve got three, and I use them all the time.

mark90
    Free Member

Nice little torch but no substitute for a 4D maglite for erm ‘home defense’ 😉

Oh and a spot of electrically conductive grease on the threads is a good preventative measure.

josh1982
    Free Member

Hey,

I work for Burton McCall the UK distributor of Mag Lite and many other great brands.

http://www.burton-mccall.co.uk/findus.html

Give our customer services a call and we will sort something out. Mention my name and this message. Or where are you?

Josh

CountZero

The other one I put a link up to, this one:

has a strike crown at both ends; hold it in your fist and use it to strike with, it’ll cause a lot of pain and discomfort, especially on nerve points, and it’s a perfect size to carry in a jacket pocket. Also, if you put it on strobe mode and point it at an intruder, I promise you, they won’t be able to see a bloody thing! It’s impossible to look at it, and it could induce a seizure.
    The little one, if you had it in your fist, with your thumb over the button, and struck someone with it, it would really hurt, as it has a steel strike crown; I had mine on my jeans on a chair on holiday, because there wasn’t a bedside lamp, went to put my jeans on and the torch dropped lens first on my bare foot. Hurt like blazes, and was still painful two weeks later!
    It also has a defence strobe mode as well.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Got distracted this afternoon and never spent anymore time trying to break in.

I’m pretty sure one of these will do

Cheers for the suggestion, it just ain’t a Mag-Lite though is it. I have plenty of decent reasonable sized torches/lights that I use with the bike/camping etc. Technology can make everything smaller and more powerful and lighter but there is something inherently satisfying about a well made bit of kit with some weight to it and a shaft big enough to wrap your paws around properly.

Give our customer services a call and we will sort something out.

A very kind offer, thankyou. I will give you guys a shout tomorrow.

whattyre
    Free Member

I’ve got a surplus mag lite that I was gonna sell…drop me a mail.its the big un

sharkbait
    Free Member

I used to have a biggish mag lite and at the time it was great but it made my day when I sold it on eBay about 3 years ago.
    Now use lighter, smaller and much more powerful LED torches from the usual suspects – I suspect Mag Lite have had their day.

johnnystorm

You want something with a bit more heft?

Look at this on eBay:

Powerful 8500 Lumens 7x CREE XM-L XML T6 LED 5 Mode Flashlight Torch Lamp Black

http://bit.ly/RGsldv

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Burton McCall, give our customer services a call

Gave you guys a call this morning. Due to the corrosion of the batteries its not covered by warranty, only suggestion is to contact battery manufacturer and try to reclaim cost of torch from them. I had kind of realised this and so not quite sure of the reasoning behind Josh’s post on behalf of Burton McCall above. Got my hopes all up for a minute….and then smashed them down again 😥

cynic-al
    Free Member

MOve on, your light is ****ed and better ones can now be bought cheaply.

andylakes

I’ve got one I don’t use any more, happy to sell to you.
    Andy

whattyre
    Free Member

step away andy…hes not a buyer 🙄

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Am at peace now. Thank you. I have greived for my maglite and can now move on 😉

bails

Could you not just sellotape one of those little Chinese torches to a bit of scaffolding pole? Home defence and light in one, probably cheaper than a big Maglite too!

josh1982
    Free Member

Mechmonkey where abouts are you? Drop me an email whitingjosh at btinternet.com

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Can't get into Mag-Lite, corroded……’ is closed to new replies.