Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Cannondale Rize Project
  • adamr100
    Free Member

After having my Ragley Blue Pig stolen I have been building up my new Rize. Been wanting a full susser for a while so this was the catalyst to me getting one, specs are:

Cannondale Rize 130 travel
    130 Cannondale Lefty PBR
    Mavic Crossmax Wheels
    Shimano XT Front/Rear Mech
    Shimano XT Shifters
    FSA K Force Carbon Cranks
    DMR V8 Pedals
    Random Motocross bars to offset raise & extension of Lefty stem
    Formula Oro K24 Brakes
    Cinelli Seat Post
    Nukeproof Plasma Team Saddle

I’ve managed to put it together on a tight budget but think I have a lot of bike for the money. Mainly ride trial centres but love getting the OS map out and exploring some bridleways and http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/outandabout/gettingactive/cycling/mtb/mtb-findaroute routes. Im split between Yorkshire and Chester so a good range of trial centres and exploration available.

Would love to know your thoughts.

IMG_5082 by adamr100, on Flickr

IMG_5085 by adamr100, on Flickr

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Sorry to hear you got your Ragley pinched!

The bars look interesting! Are they upside down?

Nice train set!

adamr100
    Free Member

Yeah swines hey.

Yeah, the bars are upside down back to front…tey certainly turn heads. The lefty setup means the stem is really long and pretty high, I like being as low as possible, so a friend gave me these which negate the lefty stem pretty well, looks very odd but feels great.

The train set is a spanish layout, there is a really impressive one on the right, several layers, might pop some pictures up of that if i can find time.

timbur
    Free Member

And I get stick for running Jones bars!

timbur
    Free Member

Umm, why not flip the stem and run some “normal” bars?
    A WTD ad might turn up a shorter less rise Cannondale stem from someones spares box as well!

adamr100
    Free Member

Ha, they do the job, function over form…

adamr100
    Free Member

The stem can’t be flipped, the steerer/stem is one piece, even if you could it would still interfere with the lefty.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

very nice. Just built myself up a RZ120 recently too. Only ridden it twice but so far so good.

adamr100
    Free Member

Got any photos of your Paul? I’ve only had mine out for a few hours, but compared to my Pig it is super light, really rapid. Very happy.

mikey74
    Free Member

That must have the steering leverage of a piece of cooked spaghetti with those bars like that.

adamr100
    Free Member

They’re 720mm wide and the steering isn’t too slow or sluggish for what I like. With a lefty, if you want to be low, it’s always going to be a compromise, I like the handling at the minute so it works well for me.

mikey74
    Free Member

With a lefty, if you want to be low, it’s always going to be a compromise

Why?

peteimpreza

Codswollop, there are plenty of stem options out there so you can run your bars in a normal fashion.

That set looks stupid and dangerous IMHO.

Checkout the options in this link

http://qwertycycles.co.uk/collections/stems/products/cannondale-2012-qse-headshock-stem

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

don’t have any photos of mine yet Adam, i’ll get some up when it stops raining/snowing!

You can get different stems for the lefty fairly easily if you want to tweak the position.

mikey74
    Free Member

Hope stem

Can be mounted with a positive or negative angle.

adamr100
    Free Member

I should have said to be low, and not have a massive stem. You can’t fit a short stem as the bars will interfere with the upper crown, so you can either fit a long stem and have a big backsweep. The stem that came with mine was high so I used the bars like I have to negate it and bring the reach closer.

mikey74
    Free Member

In that case, I’d ditch the lefty.

adamr100
    Free Member

I will in time, but I was building it as cheaply as possible, the frame came with a lefty, I had those bars hanging around, so as a short term fix, it works. In time I’ll get a pair of Fox Floats or something.

righog
    Free Member

The bars look unusual, but I can’t see them being any more dangerous than a more conventional set up. Looks as if your weight would be in a similar position which you would get with a very short stem. Of course the proof would be in the riding but looks like a good bodge to me 😀

Edit: especially considering it is a budget build.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s not the danger that I can see – as you say, shouldn’t be any more dangerous than normal – it’s just the lack of steering leverage that makes me shudder a little. However if the OP is happy with it then fine.

adamr100
    Free Member

I thought they would polarise, I could have bought a different stem, but currently I’m trying to keep it as cheap as possible, the bars work, they feel pretty decent so for now, as far as I am concerned, all is well and it means can get back to having fun on my bike.

righog
    Free Member

If it was a new Jones and they called the reverse cowboy everyone would love them ( possibly )

Having looked at it a bit more, I would make sure the bars could not slip round on the stem, and check the face plate bolts were tight enough.

granny_ring

Stick to the train set mate….. 🙂

Cant help feeling that is a dangerous setup you have there.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Dangerous? in what way? I would have thought that as long as the bolts are all done up right it would be fine… or is it the non-normal angle of the bars that will increase the leverage on the stem bolts?

mikey74
    Free Member

or is it the non-normal angle of the bars that will increase the leverage on the stem bolts?

That could be an issue. I would guess the rotational force on the bar clamp would be significantly greater than on a normal set of bars. If they did work loose, the extra leverage could have pretty dramatic consequences.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

yeah, that’s what I was geating at really. Makes sense.

dale
    Free Member

Think you might have the top clamp for the lefty upsidedown ? Having owned an rz with lefty for a while I would advice you to keep an eye on the seat stay pivots the bolts can work loose and the bearings can become unstuck.Good fun bike I like mine.Shortest lefty stem is 80mm with about 5 degree rise though I think you would need a new steerer , still have to watch handle bar choice so it leaves the lefty top cap clear.Looks nice in the red enjoy (bear me in mind if you want to sell the lefty 😉 )

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Adam, here’s mine. Built it up a couple of weeks ago and only had a coulple of rides on it so far.

Spec:
    RZ120 frame
    RS Rev 120-150 u-turn
    Hope XC Ti rear hub, Hope Pro II front hub on Stans 355 rims
    Conti Rubber Queen 2.2 rear, On-One Chunky Monkey front
    LX crank with E-13 bash guard, SLX shifters, XO front Mech, SLX rear mech, XT cassette and chain
    X-Fusion dropper post with Charge Spoon saddle (getting a reverb next month)
    XT brakes
    Nukeproof 760mm bars and RaceFace Atlas 70mm stem
    Time Atac pedals.

adamr100
    Free Member

Thanks Dale, I’ll make sure those spots are prevalent in my weekly checks

Paul, it’s looking nice, I like the green, looks sharp. Very jealous at your prospect of a reverb.

spendtoomuch
    Free Member

Sod the bikes, I want more pics of the trainset!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Rize Project’ is closed to new replies.