Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Cannondale CAAD12 Disc Road Bike Sizing
  • PMK2060

I have just bought a Cannondale CAAD12 Disc road bike and I am worried I may have got the wrong size. I stupidly went with the size guide rather than trying the bike for size. I am 5ft 10″ and went with the 56cm as I was between sizes. I have now set the bike up and although I have not actually rode it yet I feel stretched when sat on it compared to my Boardman CX bike.

Do any of you have the same bike and what are your thoughts regarding sizing? I am reluctant to ride it in case I find out it is too big and I then cannot return it.

igm

I’m 6’ with a 56 Cannondale CAADX, and I could possibly get away with a 54.

Different bike though.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

in 5’7′ and ride a 54cm CAAD4 with a 100mm -5o stem

atlaz
    Free Member

My CAAD10 is a 56. I also rode a Synapse in a 54 which was probably a touch small. I’m also 6′.

Obviously arm and leg and torso lengths are important but I reckon you would be better on a 54 without having any scientific evidence.

oafishb
    Free Member

You’re a 54. Sorry dude.

PMK2060

Thanks for the replies. I think 54cm would have been a better choice. Hopefully I can swap it without too much hassle.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I stupidly went with the size guide rather than trying the bike for size.

😥

yet I feel stretched when sat on it compared to my Boardman CX bike.

Horses for courses. A road bike with race geo will generally be lower and longer and a CX bike so would expect a more stretched out feel. If you expect it to have a similar feel to your CX bike you probably brought the wrong bike not the wrong size 🙂

Is your saddle position ok relative to the BB? Is it just the reach to the bars? On the hoods or the drops? What’s your torso angle like on the CX bike?

Thanks for the replies. I think 54cm would have been a better choice. Hopefully I can swap it without too much hassle.

A 54 will have a lower stack (edit.. about 6mm). If you need a small size for reach and then end up with a ridiculous stack of spacers under the stem to get the right stack then you’re probably on the wrong bike.

There’s 16mm difference in reach between a 54 and 56 on the CAAD12. I’d stick with the larger of the two and take 20mm off the stem while you adapt (longer and flatter is generally better.)

earl_brutus

I got the 58 and at 6’2 while its a little stretched ( it is a a racer after all) , the 56 was too cramped so for me 58 was ok.

grtdkad

Similarly I’m 5’10” and have a new 56cm CAAD12

First spin out I had to stop to lower the seat, may yet move it forward on its rails by 0.5cm or so. Other than that all is good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

TBH I’d not be surprised if you found the 54 a worse fit. Reach is only 6mm less but the stack is 16mm lower, so without an additional stack of spacers the bars will be that much lower and may well feel like more of a stretch. Worth getting someone who knows to have a look for you.

First spin out I had to stop to lower the seat, may yet move it forward on its rails by 0.5cm or so. Other than that all is good.

You probably know this, but… don’t fix issues with reach by moving the saddle 🙂

flange
    Free Member

6ft2 and I had a 56. Normally ride a 57/58. Dale do size up pretty big..

larrydavid
    Free Member

5ft 10.5 inches with a 56 CAAD 12 disc and 110mm stem.

There isn’t much seatpost (by contemporary standards) sticking out, but it fits well (or at least to my taste).

I would say I’m right at the bottom of the 56 sizing

6ft2 and I had a 56. Normally ride a 57/58. Dale do size up pretty big..

I think this is true to an extent – but because a lot of manufacturers ‘size small’ – partly because they use compact frames (mostly), us S, M, L, type sizing and some have under length TTs for a nominal size. The CAAD 12 (and other CAAADs are pretty much ‘traditional’ and true sizing.

One more thing… when I built up my CAAD 12 – I though “Shite, this is massive, it’s too big”. It’s because of the horizontal top tube. When I held it up to similar frames it looked more in proportion.

mrblobby
    Free Member

There isn’t much seatpost (by contemporary standards) sticking out,

Wouldn’t expect there to be on a CAAD12. Contemporary frames often have a compact geometry (like a Giant TCR) with a sloping top tube, so you have a lot of seatpost showing. CAAD frames still have a more classical horizontal top tube so you get much less seat post showing.

Compare…

With…

rOcKeTdOg

CAAD12 is a long low race bike, it’s supposed to be stretched out, go for a synapse if you want a shorter taller cannondale

mrblobby
    Free Member

CAAD12 is a long low race bike, it’s supposed to be stretched out, go for a synapse if you want a shorter taller cannondale

This is basically what I’m saying. If you go smaller you’ll get a bit shorter but also a lot lower so may actually be a worse fit for you, not because it’s the wrong size but because it’s the wrong geometry.

Anyway, read and understand the geometry chart below and go try a different size. Maybe it’ll work for you, maybe it won’t. Not seen you so don’t know your dimensions (other than height but that’s pretty useless for fitting)b but suspect a shorter stem will work better than a smaller bike though.

vintagewino
    Free Member

I’m 5’9.5″ (much to my distress) and I’ve been on the 54 all year and a 54 CAAD10 for 18 months before that. Stem lowered from stock albeit not fully slammed. Fits perfect. Agree with the above – 54 is for you.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m 5’9.5″ (much to my distress) and I’ve been on the 54 all year and a 54 CAAD10 for 18 months before that. Stem lowered from stock albeit not fully slammed. Fits perfect. Agree with the above – 54 is for you.

Well there you go. 54 is the one for you then as vintagewino is roughly the same height and it fits him just fine. End of thread 🙄

I stupidly went with the size guide rather than trying the bike for size

You’d be just as stupid to follow most of the advice on here. Go talk to someone who knows about bike fitting and can look at you on the bike and give some decent advice.

lee-bee
    Free Member

Hi mate I am 5.10 I have got a 54 as the 56 felt to big for me but I do have a bit of post showing. And a big bar to seat difference. I wouldn’t mind having a spin on a 56. I don’t think it can be to far off.

larrydavid
    Free Member

[/quote]

Wouldn’t expect there to be on a CAAD12. Contemporary frames often have a compact geometry (like a Giant TCR) with a sloping top tube, so you have a lot of seatpost showing. CAAD frames still have a more classical horizontal top tube so you get much less seat post showing.

Yeah, what I meant to add/explain was it makes the bikes seem deceptively big in comparison with other bikes around at the moment. Although they look much bigger, when you hold them up to an equivalent sized frame it suddenly lines up (e.g. seat post, bars etc).

BTW, by seatpost is, at a guess, a touch lower than the one in your pic.

OP – sit it next you your current bike and see how everything lines up (or doesn’t)

redstripe
    Free Member

Ditto, was in Primera LBS yesterday trying out various Cannondale road bikes, same height, 54 felt better overall. 56 okay but would need to shorten stem, lower seat etc, all possible but 54 felt right as it was. Staff there really helpful too with this.

smell_it
    Free Member

Another 5’9.5 here of average proportions, on a 54cm caad12 with a 20mm layback seatpost, and slammed 110mm stem. Feels like it was built for me.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A 56cm is fine at your height. THere’s just over 1cm difference in TT length between the 56cm and 54cm; that’s **** all. There’s something else amiss if you’re unable to make it fit.

nemesis
    Free Member

My road bike feels stretched compared to my cx bike. They’re both set up right for me though and they’re for different things. I would say that a typical Road bike should feel stretched compared to a cx one and if you’ve only ridden cx bikes, swapping to a road bike position may feel too long early on until you’re used to it

onandon
    Free Member

I love these sorts of threads. It really does bring out the essence of stw bollox.

Total height isn’t a good peramiter to use. Are you all leg, all torso etc
    There isn’t much in it between the 54/56 but enough to make a big difference depending on your body proportions.

Note- I’m also 5.10 but with a 34 inside leg so shorter torso.
    I usually go for a 54 ( synapse / pickenflick ) but also have a 51 in cervelo.

samuelr
    Free Member

Are you used to this kind of bike. Its a race bike with race bike geometry. I have a supersix (same geometry) im 5″9/5″10 and have a 54. I used to have a trek domane in 54. The cannondale is a more aggressive bike than the trek.

I don’t think you have the wrong size but the wrong bike unfortunately.

PMK2060

I checked the top tube length and reach against my cx bike and the difference is minimal. I think the horizontal top tube and the larger hoods are making me think the bike is bigger than it actually is. Decided to take the bike out for a short spin and it feels fine so hopefully i have the right size.

TiRed

If between sizes, I always recommend to size down. I’d have put you on the 54 with a longer stem – assuming you are of average proportions. That being said, the CAAD 12 is a nice aggressive road bike geometry with shorter head tube. So if you are not as flexible, the larger frame will suit better to get the bars in the right place (without the heinous crime of flipping the stem!).

The only difference between positioning will be a slight reduction in weight over the front wheel on the larger frame, so it will handle a tiny bit more livelier.

There is enough flexibility in modern road bike fit, that you can easily fit across two sizes. I rode a Small defy with long stem last winter, just to test fit to the extreme, it was rather low at the front end, but otherwise the same as my other bikes. I’m 179 cm and average proportions. Ride a Medium, a 55, 56 and 54 for CAAD8.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Allow yourself to gain flexibility and get used to it the position?

Shorter stem?

Get a bike fit.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’m 6’3″ getting on for 6’4″ and have a 60cm caad 12. I chose it based on the geometry chart and the fact I have a caad x which is a 61cm. The caad 12 feels a little more stretched as you’d expect but to size down it would have been like a clown bike. While the caad 12 is a relatively racey bike it is a far more relaxed position than the old Van nicholas chinook that it replaced. Like others have said it is a fairly classic style of frame rather than the compact modern ones so I’d be surprised if the 56 was a million miles off fitting you perfectly.

grtdkad

How’s it going PMK?

TheGingerOne

I am 5′ 10″ and have slightly short legs at about 31″. Recently went and looked at the CAAD bikes myself. 56 straight away felt too big for me. Pretty confident the 54 would be right and could possibly get away with size down again, though did not try. I like a low front end so I can get over the handlebars, especially when climbing out of the saddle.
    Does depend exactly in what fit you are looking for, but in my opinion, the 54 is far more likely to fit you better/correctly

PMK2060

grtdkad – I swapped for a 54cm focus Cayo. Size felt spot on.

TiRed

When the fit is spot on, you notice straight away. Ideally a fitting helps to avoid the iterations to get there! Glad you are sorted. Now enjoy the new bike.

onandon
    Free Member

Interesting. The focus and caad are very similar numbers.

I has the same with my synapse and pickenflick. Numbers were very very similar but I HATE the synapse and LOVE the pickenflick.

I’d never guess the were anything similar by going on feel.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Same for me, my old caad8 was a 56 & was just too stretched. I’m the same height as you at 5’10, the 54 is perfect for me.

For what it’s worth, I’m a 56 in every other manufacturer

grtdkad

I guess it just emphasises the importance of trying before buying. FWIW, I took mine out for its first proper outing on Friday (50+ miles) and after the first couple of miles forgot about it, the ride felt perfect … just a couple of knee-to-bar bumps when I was out of the saddle with efforts.

5’10 and 56cm. Very happy with it 🙂

codybrennan
    Free Member

No help, but I’m 5′ 8″ and picked up a 2015 CAAD10 3 weeks ago, second hand, and I now deeply regret not being one sooner. Brilliant bike.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 10 and had a bike with the exact same geo as the CAAD 10 in a size 54. It was ok but felt a little too low and too short. Have since had bikes equivalent to a 56, possibly ones that are a bit longer than a CAAD in 56. They have suited me much better.

I’d swap the stem for 10mm shorter and the saddle a little further forward. Should be able to make it fit for sure – its a race bike, so will likely feel more stretched than a cx bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wonder why the Cayo feels better. Same length stem as the CAAD12? Only very slightly shorter and a bit lower. I’d not be surprised if it was just a slightly shorter stem or the shape of the handlebars 🙂

PMK2060

I did not have chance to try the CAAD12 in a 54cm as they were out of stock. Tried the Focus Cayo in a 54cm and 56cm and the smaller size felt right.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale CAAD12 Disc Road Bike Sizing’ is closed to new replies.