• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Neb.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cane Creek DBcoil IL clunk – dilemma…
  • Neb

Does anyone have experience of a CC DBcoil inline making a clunk/knock on rebound? It is worse with the climb switch on, but still there with the climb switch off, however it still rides ok. It’s only a month old and bought new with a Cotic Rocket

I’m off to the Alps next Saturday and I’m not quite sure what to do about it and whether I’ve got enough time to get it sorted.

Is it going to ruin my holiday? Should I buy a spare shock? Can it be fixed in time? Should I speak to Cotic or TF tuned to fix it?

Suggestions would be appreciated…

transportert4
    Free Member

Me and a few mates have the same coil shock, and all of ours make clunks of various degrees.

Not sure its a problem, ive not been told otherwise.

Mines been like that for over a year since new.

Neb

Thanks for that, that puts my mind at rest a little. It feels like a really knackered shock bushing with the climb switch on. Almost unrideable, but ok in open mode. As long as it stays alive through the alps week (with 24000m descending!) I’ll be happy.

Cheers

rickon
    Free Member

Mine was the same. There’s a few others on threads saying the same thing. My mates recent one doesn’t do it, so could be a batch thing.

poah
    Free Member

Mine disappeared after a service.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

See if JTech or Tf can do a quick turnaround and get it upgraded to an IL while you are at it.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Its a IL coil so no upgrade available.

sv

I have a slot on Tuesday with TF I no longer need if you do want to get it serviced.

darrenspink
    Free Member

First talk to cotic, the knock shouldn’t be there.

marksnook
    Free Member

I’m running an il coil on my edit and have a click/clunk when pedalling. Kind of like a bottom bracket click or pivot type thing. Is it different to that noise?! Bb is new so shouldn’t be that. I just figured it was something in my linkage!

Neb

@marksnook

I get a slight clunk (very minor) when I start to compress the shock in open mode. Its small and might be how it’s supposed to work and I can’t remember if it has always been there.

The big clunk with the climb switch on is after it is compressed and the shock moves into rebound. It’s really obvious and can be heard by other people around me riding different bikes!

I’ll call tf tuned tomorrow and see what they say, if it’s likely to be a problem I’ll give cotic a call and see what they can do. If itlliwait until after my trip I’ll warranty it when I get back.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I have similar with the same shock…. thought the linkage bearing had play in frame recess but can’t find any play and bearings new…

poah
    Free Member

It’s the rebound that makes the noise. If you flick the CS it gets worse.

Neb

I’ve just spoken to both tf tuned and cotic, both really helpful and keen to resolve the issue

The noise with climb switch on is kinda normal, some of the shocks do it from new some don’t. It can be resolved under warranty if required.

It isn’t terminal, just annoying.

That’s put my mind at rest, I’ll use the shock as is and send it for warranty when I get back.

Thanks for your comments + advice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek DBcoil IL clunk – dilemma…’ is closed to new replies.