Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Can you use an Alfine with 'normal' QR style dropouts?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Will this be OK? or will my wheel rip out and kill me?

do you have to have horizontal dropouts to run an internal hub?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Nope, vertical dropouts can be used.

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Hi psychle,

alpine in a whyte – that just what I'm about to do.

Did your alfine come already built as a wheel or did you build it yourself? (what rim are you using?)

Just about to order rim, spokes etc – not sure what sizes I need.

Cheers

ps AFAIK – perfect the way you've got it – just adjust dropout to take up chain slack.

psychle
    Free Member

Howdy MLC 🙂

My Whyte is an older 19 (an '07 I think), bought it off here 2nd hand. Same with the Alfine actually, though it came on an inbred I bought last year (again off here) I think the rims are On-one Retards, though have never been able to 100% confirm this. Can't help with the spoke length info etc, sorry 🙁

cheers for the confirmation that vertical dropouts are cool… had a bit of a brief worry about it before, hence the post to get reassurance from the STW hive mind 😆

geoffj

The fitting kit comes with different coloured tabbed washers to hold the hub in place for the cable. One colour for horizontal, one colour for vertical. Just make sure you use the right one.

psychle
    Free Member

hmmm… I only have one set of tabbed washers (the ones that came on the wheel when I bought it off here). The left one is blue, the right one is green.

geoffj

You can buy the fitting kit seperately

http://www.madison.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?&catref=SMS500A

RichPenny
    Free Member

You have the washers for vertical dropouts. I have an alfine on a p7, it's fine so far.

psychle
    Free Member

Which colour washers are for vertical dropouts? Also, what should be the orientation of the cable entry point on the hub?

bumbly1
    Free Member

I have got a barely used Alfine chain tensioner £10 posted, you will need some form of tensioner.

Tom

RichPenny
    Free Member

Err, blue is R, green is L for vertical dropouts. Cable entry point is towards the BB, i.e the cable is routed along the chainstay.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Not with sliding dropouts he wont!

psychle
    Free Member

yep, don't need a tensioner thankfully, one of the benefits of the Whyte 19 frame 😀

bumbly1
    Free Member

😳

Tom

psychle
    Free Member

blue is R, green is L for vertical dropouts. Cable entry point is towards the BB

Mine are back to front then… might explain why the cable entry is pointing upwards 😆

Does the cable have to be routed along the chainstay? You can't orientate it so as to use the seatstay?

swampi
    Free Member

if you look on sheldon browns website he has a chart you can use as there are more than just one of the vertical drop out options depending upon the angle of the drop out, just make sure you do the non turn washer up nice and tight as i once had my pull out on a big steep up the hill out the saddle episode and it wasn't fun………

RichPenny
    Free Member

You could route it the other way, but you'd have the pulley stuck out the back of the dropouts, bit vulnerable really. I accidentally put the hub in like that, but realised and moved it 180 round. If you look at all the Alfine bikes on the net they're like that, cable routing is so much neater.

I bought some adhesive cable guides from CRC. Not put them on yet, so cable goes along top and seat tubes then underneath the chainstay currently. Mainly because I had the hub on backwards when I started routing the cable 😳

RichPenny
    Free Member

if you look on sheldon browns website he has a chart

I have it here in front of me. The only washers for vertical dropouts are the blue and green ones.

polarisandy
    Free Member

can you use a grip shift with the alfine hub?

druidh
    Free Member

You can use a Nexus gripshift, I believe….

geoffj

You can use a Nexus gripshift, I believe….

That's what I use – spazzy thumb and all that.

druidh
    Free Member

I'm thinking of the Versa STI shifters for my project

u02sgb
    Free Member

My cable comes straight out the top of my alfine and up the seatstays. Fiddled around with the combinations of washers I got to make it work. Can't remember what colours I used though.

geoffj

Them Versa STI shifters do look nice. I don't understand why shimano haven't produced one though. 🙄

polarisandy
    Free Member

thanks, off to google nexus

bumbly1
    Free Member

Geoffj or Druidh, where can I find info on Versa shifter? Tried Google but only found one reference.

Tom

STATO
    Free Member

Mine are back to front then… might explain why the cable entry is pointing upwards

Does the cable have to be routed along the chainstay? You can't orientate it so as to use the seatstay?

You can route the cable wherever you want, its just easier to use the chainstay as the cable exit on the hub is horizontal (if you run the spacers the right way round). You could just leave your spacers how they are and have the cable exit vertically and fix the cable to the seatstay, wouldnt casue any damage to the hub.

druidh
    Free Member

Tom – I am waiting to hear from the US as to whether or not there is a UK importer. I will pass on my findings.

Shinythings
    Free Member

By swapping the axle stops from side to side or turning them around in increments you can position the guide arm 45deg at a time. Luck if you get it spot on. Mates Inbred lines up perfect, but my Explosif is not right but fine.

I had a long argument with someone on here about this 🙄

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Can you use an Alfine with 'normal' QR style dropouts?’ is closed to new replies.