Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Can you tell by inspection if a cam belt has been changed?
  • hora
    Free Member

Pay abit more and getting a younger/lower miler then YOU put the miles on.

Coming from a tightass… dont be one! 😀

Never trust a seller unless you see a bill/receipt.

andydicko
    Free Member

If its a 1.8 then the intervals are 125k or 120 months whichever comes first.

aracer
    Free Member

Aracer if you’re still reading these comments?

Yes – and I’ve decided to follow your advice (though you’re not the first to offer it) – not worth saving ~£90 to get the dealer to pay half to do it with his bloke rather than me getting it done with somebody who’s accountable directly to me. Thanks for the service interval confirmation, andydicko – that matches what I’ve seen previously.

Pay abit more and getting a younger/lower miler then YOU put the miles on.

The thing is, you pay a lot more for the 20k miles less to take it under 100k for a similar age car, which is the alternative – like 30% to 40% more. That’s not just that the car I’m buying is cheap – the price is similar on other similar mileage cars. I presume people rationalise that 95k is not that much mileage, but 120k is mega miles. Now if you assume that 20k miles is 30% of the life I get out of it, I only need to manage 60k miles to be ahead, and I see plenty of reports of these sort of cars and drivetrains doing well over 200k – it will also still be under 10 years old when it reaches that.

Alternatively I could get a car 3 or so years older with 80k miles on for similar money, and I’m less than convinced that will have less wear and more usable future life in it – not only that, it would also be the older model. Unless of course you’re suggesting never buying a car which is more than 3 years old with average mileage, and that buying an older cheaper car is a bad idea economically – all rational calculations suggest otherwise if you include depreciation.

TBH I’d already rationalised the age/mileage/price thing, and was only after advice on what I did about the cambelt on a car I’m buying.

Or you could wing it and run it til it dies like I’m currently doing with a car.

Well the cambelt on the car I’m getting rid of was over 80k miles ago – I realised the cost of getting it done was likely more than I could sell the car for.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Can you tell by inspection if a cam belt has been changed?’ is closed to new replies.