Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can you strip and grease external BBs?
  • crasher
    Free Member

I've got the truvative giga x externall BB and it sounds really rough as it turns but I've only had it 6 months. Can you strip and grease or is it a sealed unit meaning I probably need another?

GaryLake
    Free Member

At the very least you can normally pop the plastic caps off wipe everything clean, smother it in grease and buy yourself another month or two…

Macavity
    Free Member

6 months out of a Truvativ GXP, you have done well.

crasher
    Free Member

Failing a remedy, what compatible BB would you replace it with (thats not mega money?)

br
    Free Member

Hope

cynic-al
    Free Member

Usually the spacers will come out and you can remove seals and re-grease bearings, usually it's too late to get much more use out of it though.

headfirst
    Free Member

In answer to title thread:

No, not at the same time…bit of a strange request.

Sorry, very bored at work. IGMC

Macavity
    Free Member
    sv

Just ordered a HT2 BB kit from Enduro in America. It would be easier if the bearings were a standard size (Shimano anyway)!

crasher
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies and links, think I'm gonna just buy a new(different brand) one, after googling it and from whats said on here, seems like these BBs are rubbish!

retro83
    Free Member

Its seems quite random as to how long they last. i had 2 years out of a gigaxpipe. Foolishly replaced it as a matter of course one day and the replacement lasted less than a month. Really strange.

thomthumb
    Free Member

once it's rough its too late ime; you can stretch it out until payday but not much longer

however if you open them up when new, and regularly (like once a month) they should last a loooong time.

🙂

crasher
    Free Member

Gone and ordered a hope stainless BB and a conversion kit for the truvativ cranks. Job done!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can you strip and grease external BBs?’ is closed to new replies.