Home Forums Bike Forum Can you put a 26” wheel on a 700c bike

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Can you put a 26” wheel on a 700c bike
  • astura
    Free Member

On my quest to get a 26” folding bike for my campervan and stick a Swytch bike kit (26”) taken off another bike – I have seen a couple folding bikes but they are 700c wheels – would this work or a definete no go?

PhilO
    Free Member

Yes, if it’s a disc braked wheel. No if you need to rely on rim brakes.

OTOH, if you do need to use rim brakes then building a new 622 rim onto the swytch hub shouldn’t be too difficult. And with a sensible size tyre on it the wheel diameter won’t be much different from a 26″ wheel with a chunky tyre, so top speed should stay within an acceptable margin.

jamesoz

It’s gonna depend on clearance and tyre size. I do regularly swap between a 26” 2.25 and 700c 32 on an old mtb. The 700c has a bit bigger diameter. Obviously clearance isn’t an issue that way round.

I imagine if you have to go too small a tyre on the 26” it’ll  have too low a bb.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I managed to squeeze 26×2.3 Booze Lights onto a Kona Dew, there was bugger all clearance (back wheel had a slight wobble) but they ran surprisingly well. Not much difference in diameter to the original 32mm tyres.

boblo
    Free Member

If it’s a rim (vee) braked bike, you can get adapters on eBay to move the brakes up/down. I’ve gone the other way with one frankenbike using 700c in a 26″ frame…

legometeorology
    Free Member

Totally depends on the frame. If the chainstays are crimped, clearance can be an issue.

I used to have a 700c frame that had marginally more clearance for a 700c tyre than it did for a 650b tyre.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.