Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can someone recommend me a lightweight but strong chain, chainring and cog?
  • womble72
    Free Member

Epic failure of a shimano chain on my Singlespeed yesterday has brought on a search for a strong setup. My current setup is shimano, 36:16 ratio and is old 2nd/3rd/4th hand parts and I’m not sure if its just old stuff failing or it’s not up to the torque that is put through it when climbing. Any help would be greatly received as i’m currently looking a a bike with no drive chain and i’m itching to get out again.

W72

cynic-al
    Free Member

Strong?

New 1/8″ chain and any other parts.

thomthumb
    Free Member

on one c-ring and cog. kmc z510hx chain.

lasted thousands of miles on my SS

womble72
    Free Member

Thanks TT. I had been looking at the kmc 510hx chain. I’ll go have a looksee at the on one stuff. Cheers fella

womble72
    Free Member

So before I press the buy it now button….. A decent single speed set would consist of

Renthal or Hope 36t chain ring up front
    Kmc 510 or 710sl chain (unsure of what size though)
    16t rear sprocket (unsure of manufacturer)
    The swift has an EBB so would I need a ghastly looking chain tensioner?

I’m prepared to sacrifice a bit of weight for a strong setup. It’s mainly making sure all the chain/ring/sprocket sizes will be compatible.

womble72
    Free Member

Anyone?

ciderinsport
    Free Member

The swift has an EBB so would I need a ghastly looking chain tensioner?

No!

+1 for renthal ring and kmc z510hx chain

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/

Just order from Charlie – only sells god stuff!

womble72
    Free Member

Thanks ciderinsport. I’m a real novice with bike maintenance and don’t have the funds to get it wrong. I’ll go check out Charlie’s site.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not just get stuff and have it fitted, both at your LBS?

Your old stuff broke probably due to age and perhaps mismatching of wear, who fitted it?

There really is no rocket science to this. Decent quality components (i.e. pretty much anything with a recognisable brand name) will not give you any problems if fitted correctly.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

After advice – phone him!

womble72
    Free Member

Why not just get stuff and have it fitted, both at your LBS?

Your old stuff broke probably due to age and perhaps mismatching of wear, who fitted it?

There really is no rocket science to this. Decent quality components (i.e. pretty much anything with a recognisable brand name) will not give you any problems if fitted correctly.

Its old parts fitted to a 2nd/3rd hand bike so probably was due to be changed anyway. This stuff is only easy if you know how or have money to risk mistakes, I don’t. I’ve looked online at different chains, cogs and chain rings and there is differences in BCD, Chain gauges etc Its the not knowing what chain will work with my XT cranks and the new ‘beefier’ chain ring/sprocket that confused me. I don’t mind buying my stuff from my local bike shop but they don’t stock ss stuff and would have to order it in especially and it would cost more than if i order it myself online. I want to learn to do upgrades myself in case of any emergency repairs etc I’ll get in touch with Charlie because he seems to come highly recommended for advice and sales.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can someone recommend me a lightweight but strong chain, chainring and cog?’ is closed to new replies.