Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can I mount a rack on a road bike that has no rack mount holes?
  • Naff
    Free Member

Anyone know if there are any adaptors out there that will wrap around my nice carbon wish bone and provide me with something to attach a rack to?

richpips
    Free Member

P clips, but I wouldn't advise it.

spyke85
    Free Member

P clips or seatpost mounted rack….I would avoid both

mtbfix

Assuming that you do not wish to carry huge loads then get a seatpost mounting beam rack. However I tend not to recommend those for carbon seatposts.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can get seat qrs with a top mounting built in and tubus make some gadgets for the bottom mounting that is better than p clips. axle mount.

You can also get racks that mount to v brake mounts.

http://www.tubus.com/en/spares-and-accessories

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/13266/Giant_QR_Seat_Clamp_With_Rack_Mounting

cynic-al
    Free Member

I understand that carbon seatposts survive clamping forces (OK OK I know they're designed to but…)

trail_rat
    Free Member

just be aware if putting panniers on your bike and it may not have heel clearance for them

Naff
    Free Member

Cheers guys,
    It sounds like a seat post rack might be the best way to go. I don't have an carbon seatpost and I won't be doing lots of touring on it. Normally it's a hack it into work bike but I want to do a Paris -> London trip on it over the summer. So not much kit and only 3 days of riding…

Sound like a seatpost rack might be do-able? Any one used one or got recommendations?

mtbfix
    druidh
    Free Member

Consider a handlebar bag too. You could put quite a lot of heavier items in there.

richpips
    Free Member

carradice sqr tour holds loads, that and a bar bag would hold close to 20 litres.

rootes1

Naff,

how much do you want to carry?

16litres enough?

then get one of these:

my road bike has rack mounts, but Carradice SQR was neater
    they do them in different shapes, they are waterproof and so not sway, uses a quick release etc

get quite a bit of stuff in them

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i'd use a bar bag and large saddle bag combo.

Naff
    Free Member

Shouldn't need to carry all that much. A change of clothes, spare cycling kit and some tools should sort me out. I'm liking the idea of the Carradice SQR with a bar bag if I need more space.

Any other good recommendations on makes of bar bag? I presume it's generally worth paying extra for a waterproof one? While I'm not going to use it all that much it would be sods law if it p1ssed it down during one of the days and everything got soaked.

druidh
    Free Member

Ortlieb – accept no other

rootes1

If you have smaller frame/lower saddle go for the Carradice SQR slim same volume but not as tall.

Carradice make matching bar bag, though ortlieb bar bags are v.nice

wiggle stock both

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Beware the "I'm not carrying much" trap.

1 change of clothes (inc. off the bike shoes)
    1 set of spare cycling kit
    Wash kit (minimum of a bar of soap, toothbrush and paste)
    Couple of tubes, repair kit, multitool.

Still takes up a lot of space. And you will still smell like the proverbial Frenchman by the time you get to Paris in 3 day old kit.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can I mount a rack on a road bike that has no rack mount holes?’ is closed to new replies.