Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Can anyone give me feedback on a Kinesis FF29
  • ljs1977
    Free Member

What do you think of this bike.
    What spec have you got.

Looking for a do it all, peaks and trail centre bike

Cheers

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

They look better in green than black.

ljs1977
    Free Member

🙂

notinabox
    Free Member

I have a green one (best colour?) and LOVE it! ideal for your Q needs.
    first time out i had 6 new PBs on my segments around woods without trying. i only say this to hi-light how much quicker it was than my other quick bike.
    its not all about bloody Strava 🙂 but a good indicator. I have to agree with Singletrack mags review. nuff said 🙂
    mix of carbon and SLX XT and 1800g ish wheels and it feels light.
    get one 🙂

weegi
    Free Member

“notinabox”, can I ask what size you have got? I’ve been looking at this (and in green) and wondered if I should go for Med or Large.

I’m 6ft, so 183cm so right on the verge of the upper medium limit. My bouncy bikes are large frames but was looking for some feedback from owners.

Cheers

shinsplints

Anyone got any pics ? I’m interested in one of these too (if I can sell my full suss over there >>>), lime green the best obviously ! It got a great review in the mag, v keen

pigyn
    Free Member

They are really, really good fun (not just saying that as I have some frames for sale, see below!)

Really nimble and with a great turn of speed under power, just all round great fun. For once most of the mags have it spot on, it’s a great bike and can take you through all the UK has to offer. If I could afford to have two mountain bikes I would still be riding mine, doing the frame swap was a sad day (to a new 120mm Bandit 29) but I wanted something a bit more forgiving for some enduro races etc.

My old frame is a Medium Blue, it has about 4 months use and a few stone chips etc but no dents and polishes up well. Looking for £300 ONO for this one, but not yet got round to advertising it.

My shop is also selling a new Medium Green that I put a chip in while building for a customer. We are looking for £375 for this one.

I will most likely buy another one before next winter, but right now don’t have the cash and one bike will do. Next build will be done very light, rigid and 1×10. The old build was 2×10 and with run of the mill parts and still came in around 28lbs with flat pedals and a reverb.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Best hard tail I’ve ridden/owned in 26″ or 29″ variety. For reference I’ve had a Cove Handjob, Genesis iO, Chumba HX2 and have ridden a fair few others.

It’s a light frame so can be built very light with the right parts, mine is 2×10 XT with 100mm Reba RL’s, Thomson kit, Crests on Hopes and with Spesh GC’s weighs just over 23lbs.

It climbs fantastically, descends way better than a 100mm XC bike should be capable of, it handles brilliantly and has converted my naysayer of a neighbour to getting one.

I’m faster on it both up (not surprising) and down/across than on my 130mm FS trail bike. It’s ideally suited to general UK riding if I’m honest, from trail centres, buggering about in woods and Welsh mountains.

Size wise I’d say a large, I’m 5’11” and have a medium set up with 70mm flat stem, one 5mm spacer under it, 736mm flat bars and an inline post but with the saddle moved back off center.

shinsplints

Pics !!!!!

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Kinesis FF29 by http://www.sussex-mtb.com, on Flickr

Here’s mine.

Originally it was rigid SS.

DSC01132 by http://www.sussex-mtb.com, on Flickr

I’m six foot tall, I went for a medium, but I prefer a smaller frame. That said it’s still longer than what I’m used to (cove hummer, El Guapo). It’s a great bike, really fast, capable in singletrack and rocket fast downhill. I’ve just fitted the 120mm X Fusion fork and it’s working really well.

I did a short video when I first put it together, it was rigid SS, but I find it more fun with gears and suspension.

[video]http://youtu.be/v1U8oFJwViQ[/video]

john_l
    Free Member

Just got one to replace my cracked Lynskey, in black (just in case I bump into Hummerlicious). Love it so far.

mtbfix

john, tell me more. I have been considering a Lynskey but cannot but think that the FF29 would do much the same job for a fraction of the money.

shinsplints

Looks better with gears & suspension IMO. Looks more fun.

john_l
    Free Member

mtbfix – you would be right in thinking that, based on the 2 rides i’ve had so far.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

It was fun rigid SS shinsplints, but I just wanted to go faster so added the gears, then as the speed went up suspension became necessary!

Very considerate of you John 😉

curlie467
    Free Member

I can vouch for what steve_b77 says.

He can hustle that thing along somewhat! This is through tight very twisty singletrack so the handling like a barge myth gets broken.

It is a beautiful looking bike I think, seems to be very nicely made and yes, it is very light, lighter and better than the 29er on-one in carbon that rides with us.

TomHill
    Free Member

I’ve not had mine long, but loving it so far. Light, fast, fun… Can’t ask for much else.

Here’s a pic of the current build. I’ve just swapped the dropper post for a Thomson for a weekend of bikepacking.

I wrote up my first impressions on the bike for Kinesis HERE. A few rides in and my impression hasn’t changed.

rewski
    Free Member

The Ti prototype looks nice, is it going into production?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

They very kindly lent me the Ti prototype for the 24/12 last year, it was awesome 🙂

mtbfix

Any info on likely dates for the Ti jobber?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Not 100% sure, best you ping Upgrade an email

IvanDobski
    Free Member

April for the ti apparently, no news on whether it’s early or late April though.

messiah
    Free Member
    hummerlicious
    Free Member

Aah, there she is at the 24/12, sorry I broke the seatpost!!

ljs1977
    Free Member

Cheers guys, just need a demo, then can pick my components

rewski
    Free Member

That Ti is very very nice, any demo bikes in the East Sussex area? will drop upgrade an email.

messiah
    Free Member

I’d love to demo one too… in north east Scotland 😥

john_l
    Free Member

Quest have one in Worthing, or they did.

Clink

pigyn

My old frame is a Medium Blue, it has about 4 months use and a few stone chips etc but no dents and polishes up well. Looking for £300 ONO for this one, but not yet got round to advertising it.

My shop is also selling a new Medium Green that I put a chip in while building for a customer. We are looking for £375 for this one.

Chuck me an e-mail (in profile) if either/both still available. (no e-mail in you profile?)

garage-dweller

Wasnt this bike reviewed in the mag in very glowing terms an issue or two back (maybe the cx one) or have i.got the wrong bike?

ljs1977
    Free Member

Does anyone know wherei could demo one of these near notts?

steve_b77
    Free Member

AFAIK there are no ‘official’ demo bikes, it may be worth contacting kinesis and see what they can do

ljs1977
    Free Member

Yeah cheers Steve I’m struggling. I have my lbs doing a deal with an owner! Hopefully will get on one

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone give me feedback on a Kinesis FF29’ is closed to new replies.