• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by aP.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Campag vs Shimano brakes?
  • BillMC

The Campag Centaur rear brake on my EMX3 road bike has developed rust on the spring and one of the bolts. Is cheap Campag gear more vulnerable to this? I can’t seem to get a new spring in the this country so thinking of replacing the brakes at some time soon. Is Shimano stuff any more durable? Any informed opinions would be most welcome.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Nice to hear it’s not just the cheapest Campag brakes that rust. My Veloces have rusty bolts and springs too and look shite, despite being only a couple of years old 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do you guys ride through winter, and/or without mudguards?

I think parts on any brakes will rust, but few run through winter etc on Dura Ace/Record/Ultegra.

Tektro/unbranded will rust more.

Get the wire wool out!

nickc

Probs just a bit of surface rust, nothing to worry about, for the same money as a new spring you could get a wee tin of humbrol and a touch up brush 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Tiagra brakes seize irrepairably within a couple of months in winter IME. 105 are marginally better and I’ve never had any problems with Dura Ace. But you can go through several sets of 105s before you’ve got to the cost of DA!

mudshark
    Free Member

No rust on any of my Shimano brakes but an Ultegra one I have that’s been through 8 winters doesn’t release very well now despite me attacking it with GT85….

aP
    Free Member

I’ve got Centaur skeleton brakes from 2006 on my 853 road bike. They’re still absolutely fine, however I do have Salmon guards on that bike. I’ve never had a problem with Campag calipers in nearly 20 years.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How many miles aP?

jimc101
    Free Member

Had Centaur Skeletons for a few years now on my winter bike, and no signs of rust, the ones they replaced (I think Veloce) had corrosion after a similar time, but far less riding during winters.

aP
    Free Member

Don’t know off the top of my head – something like 2 – 3,000 miles a year on that bike? Last year and the year before I was doing 200 mile commuting weeks…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Campag vs Shimano brakes?’ is closed to new replies.